Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Incident with female crew member at EBB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident with female crew member at EBB

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Horrible, horrible incident. I hate stories like this. The incident would have affected many people who knew her and those who were in the vicinity.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Isn't the idea that you don't touch anybody until professionals arrive? If they'd turned her over, a broken rib could have pierced her heart. That's what I recall being told years ago.
​​​​​​
Usually one might administer first aid but in this case other than a turniquet in case of excessive bleeding no movement until a spine board and neck brace arrive is probably safest. Spinal injuries can easily be exacerbated by untrained movement, one would want to immobilize the spine ASAP to prevent further damage that might lead to paralysis etc.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
​​​​​​
Usually one might administer first aid but in this case other than a turniquet in case of excessive bleeding no movement until a spine board and neck brace arrive is probably safest. Spinal injuries can easily be exacerbated by untrained movement, one would want to immobilize the spine ASAP to prevent further damage that might lead to paralysis etc.

Correct, there is always a trade off between dealing with a catastrophic bleed - immediate threat to life and not moving a casualty due to a suspected C-Spine.

On some occasions though its plain to see that the injuries sustained are not compatible with life - might explain the standing around.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by Will08
Correct, there is always a trade off between dealing with a catastrophic bleed - immediate threat to life and not moving a casualty due to a suspected C-Spine.

On some occasions though its plain to see that the injuries sustained are not compatible with life - might explain the standing around.
Yeah agree, even on viewing of the photos it is clear to see the amount of blood loss and the positioning of the patient face down does not look promising. I am not sure when the photo was taken, but culturally Africans aren't naturally forthcoming to administer first aid, but rather wait until the people who's job it is to show up. I do reckon they had a look and most certainly assumed she was dead- i would most likely assume the same before trying to find a pulse. I also at the same time believe that the ground crew should not be victimised/blamed for hanging around as they were clearly shocked and surprised what had happened while also having no commitment to administer first aid. They called for help and that is a job well done in my books to them.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:30 am

As to all of the above, the main issue concerns is regarding flight safety, human factors, pilots error, crew distress / personal problems but doing the flight... normally crew should be examined regularly to deem fit to fly, just like pilots do their licence review every 6 months and medical check up every year if I am not mistaken.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by hugolover

When you visit these places it’s always worth remembering that no matter the incident, you just can’t expect the standard of care you would get in more developed parts of the world.
I would be hesitant to make such sweeping generalizations. I have received and heard about much better treatment in places like India and Thailand compared to the US/UK. Also, bystanders in developed countries also hesitate to help injured persons due the possible legal ramifications if their intervention causes further injury or even laws that mandate that once you begin aid you now owe a duty of care.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by kq747
I would be hesitant to make such sweeping generalizations. I have received and heard about much better treatment in places like India and Thailand compared to the US/UK. Also, bystanders in developed countries also hesitate to help injured persons due the possible legal ramifications if their intervention causes further injury or even laws that mandate that once you begin aid you now owe a duty of care.
That is hospital care thou, what about pre-hospital care? I would much rather be in the UK/US or even South Africa then Thailand or India as pre-hospital care is miles ahead. The idea of the UN ambulance service on behalf of the Ugandan government doesn’t sound too appealing. Does Uganda even have a level one trauma centre or any advanced life support ( critical care) paramedics ?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Flame3601

That is hospital care thou, what about pre-hospital care? I would much rather be in the UK/US or even South Africa then Thailand or India as pre-hospital care is miles ahead. The idea of the UN ambulance service on behalf of the Ugandan government doesn’t sound too appealing. Does Uganda even have a level one trauma centre or any advanced life support ( critical care) paramedics ?
I can't comment on the facilities in Uganda as I have not been in well over a decade. I also was not thinking about it solely in terms of pre-hospital care but rather in the overall standard of care in many developing countries
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Isn't the idea that you don't touch anybody until professionals arrive? If they'd turned her over, a broken rib could have pierced her heart. That's what I recall being told years ago.
Right.
You can do more harm by moving her. But at least, you can hold hand (without moving it) and try to get her attention until a trained team arrives, even if it seems worthless. (from my younger experience as Fire department First responder)
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:33 am

A very sad incident - and goes to show we should all take care of our mental health.
I’m sure that some may take the opportunity to jump on the employer and use it as a social/political point but from all accounts the individual was a very long standing member of EK staff, and of course we don’t know her personal context.

As for circumstances, I understand it happened just before/during boarding and the crew member opened a disarmed L4, which leans it towards a deliberate act rather than an accident.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Twitter sources indicate the died (other tweets not just in that article), also that crew was still required to operate the flight. Is this a turnaround for crew or is there a layover? What about the psychological impact on crew? Some reports that it was a cabin supervisor.
EBB is definitely a layover destination
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS

They do have these facilities, although there aren't many, and they are a good 45km away in Kampala. I'm not aware of any such facilities in the town of Entebbe. However, as it is an expat stronghold, I imagine there are reasonably good facilities close by. Ambulances are a rarity. Perhaps the president could have offered his own personal ambulance!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by EKplat
They do have these facilities, although there aren't many, and they are a good 45km away in Kampala. I'm not aware of any such facilities in the town of Entebbe. However, as it is an expat stronghold, I imagine there are reasonably good facilities close by. Ambulances are a rarity. Perhaps the president could have offered his own personal ambulance!
Thanks for the info. I was in Uganda a couple of years ago and that 45km to Kampala is a long way, especially when you are in such a critical condition. I am sure the Presidents Mercedes S class, sorry i mean Presidential ambulance that is of course government tax expenditure justifiable would be of much assistance ! hehe
BadoRas likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum

Having worked in both India and the UK, I have to agree . For elective procedures ( Dentistry, elective surgery like joint replacements etc ) India is very good. However there is hardly any pre-hospital care in India in case of accidents / Trauma .
There are a few private hospitals with ambulance services but it is not centralised and very hit and miss.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Skyward gold, MH Enrich gold
RIP Elena ..... Thanks to you and all the EK crews who had taken such good care of us flyers over your 20 plus years with EK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.