Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no seat 1K?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In post 6 the OP was dictating what EK should and should not do as far as use of its fleet/seating goes. I have trouble seeing a reason why EK should not use its fleet as it best sees fit. There is a difference between asking why something is done and stating how it should be done
Good thing i am not the OP then nor was i dictating what EK should and should not be doing, rather adding my opinion on the matter and trying to find out why EK does such to further educate myself? Nothing wrong in that, it is important to note we lose tense and context when commuting via text and while i will admittedly admit that i sensed a hint of hostility within your reply, i could of been completely wrong but i hope my reply was justification on my views and thought process on what may work better for EK and settles your mind on, "why does it matter how EK chooses to utilise its fleet?"

Anyway ...
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
As already mentioned not all aircraft have the CRC, they get more seats in and can sell them on short haul
The pilot rest area is situated - if not wrong - at the level of the front lavs of main cabin, and there are two of them on all A388.
On those flights where one F seat is not sold, does it mean that there are too many flying pilots ?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ioto1902
The pilot rest area is situated - if not wrong - at the level of the front lavs of main cabin, and there are two of them on all A388.
On those flights where one F seat is not sold, does it mean that there are too many flying pilots ?
The flight in question (and every case where I have observed this) is operated by a 77W
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:39 pm

The flight in question (and every case where I have observed this) is operated by a 77W
same Cpt and hnd
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:42 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
That is what I thought (and have observed). But the OP mentions that it is an A380. I have checked this now and can confirm that EK319 (NRT - DXB) on 17/3/18 is indeed an A380 with seat 1K ‘missing’. It also has an unusual number of seats blocked: 1A, 2A, 4A and 4K.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh

That is what I thought (and have observed). But the OP mentions that it is an A380. I have checked this now and can confirm that EK319 (NRT - DXB) on 17/3/18 is indeed an A380 with seat 1K ‘missing’. It also has an unusual number of seats blocked: 1A, 2A, 4A and 4K.
Might be a line training flight with a training captain on board in addition to regular flight crew then. Never seen seat missing, I think they're usually just blocked
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
I think these seats are reserved for cadet training. Whenever I’ve taken these flights (always to/from CPT so 777) this seat has been occupied by a youngish UAE national (~ 20 to 25 years old) in cockpit crew uniform who was in the cockpit for take off and landing but spent most of the rest of the flight in the blocked off seat 1K.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by UAworldwide
I think these seats are reserved for cadet training. Whenever I’ve taken these flights (always to/from CPT so 777) this seat has been occupied by a youngish UAE national (~ 20 to 25 years old) in cockpit crew uniform who was in the cockpit for take off and landing but spent most of the rest of the flight in the blocked off seat 1K.
How many stripes? What you're describing sounds like a pilot taking a rest during the flight. After take-off once they reach cruise he'd go rest and return just before descent.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
I’m on 779 in two weeks, so will take a look/keep an eye out. I am certain that on the 777 the flight crew have a rest area directly opposite the F toilet.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:32 am

On EK773 right now (CPT-DXB with CRC) and asked an FA about the crew rest. She said only the first flight (772/773) has it because of its departure time from DXB. So the other two flights have the blocked seats I guess, though she also mentioned about there being more pilots on one or something which could be the cause for the blocked seat. But basically the two later flights don't have a crew rest so they block seats for the crew's breaks.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:12 am

So does the pilot come relax or rest in the seat with their uniform ?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by elite13
So does the pilot come relax or rest in the seat with their uniform ?
Yes, IME.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:51 am

You guys are hilarious ...

Like someone explained, not all CPT flights have Crew Rest Compartments, there for they block 4 seats in economy and not 4 rows like someone mentioned for rest which is different then required horizontal rest for an Ultra Long flight i.e. US-AUS. Usually these flights have 3 flight crew , and rotate a small rest taken on a blocked F seats. Again this is due to the fact that not all CPT flights have a Crew Rest Compartment, same goes for NRT on the A380 where 6 seats are blocked in Y for cabin crew and one F suite for Flight deck.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:06 am

I know on MK flights, MRU - PER flights block the last rows for crew, with curtain for in flight rest due to no crew rest compartment available. I've been told also that on some Airbus aircraft, these crew rest compartment comes in the form of a cargo compartment itself that they load into the aircraft hold.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by elite13
I know on MK flights, MRU - PER flights block the last rows for crew, with curtain for in flight rest due to no crew rest compartment available. I've been told also that on some Airbus aircraft, these crew rest compartment comes in the form of a cargo compartment itself that they load into the aircraft hold.
It isn't loaded into hold but more installed under floor. the stairs down are at the over wing door and the emergency hatch is half a dozen rows back where the D seat is. Hence the D seat missing in a lot of A380s.

QANTAS for their Aussie East Coast to Europe non stop flights is thinking about under floor bunks for economy pax or space to walk around and stretch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.