Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no seat 1K?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Why no seat 1K?

I'm booked to fly in F on EK319 NRT-DXB this Saturday. The aircraft is an A380 and I've chosen seat 2K after following the recommendations on here.

I was curious to see that there is no seat 1K on this aircraft, both on the Emirates website and EF. Does anyone know why this is?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by falk_flyer
I'm booked to fly in F on EK319 NRT-DXB this Saturday. The aircraft is an A380 and I've chosen seat 2K after following the recommendations on here.

I was curious to see that there is no seat 1K on this aircraft, both on the Emirates website and EF. Does anyone know why this is?
pilot rest seat usually - I’ve seen this a few times before
falk_flyer and thijsseh like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Becoming more and more common in my experience, why can’t they use the crew rest area ? Strange as Ek773/771 doesn’t have any blocked seating for crew, but Ek779 always does out of CPT. I also do also notice the crew rest area in economy thou at the rear of the plane cordoned off for cabin crew.

Last edited by Flame3601; Mar 15, 2018 at 12:55 am
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Becoming more and more common in my experience, why can’t they use the crew rest area ? Strange as Ek773/771 doesn’t have any blocked seating for crew, but Ek779 always does out of CPT. I also do also notice the crew rest area in economy thou at the rear of the plane cordoned off for cabin crew.
Not all A380s have the rest area if I'm not mistaken? I'd prefer having a pilot nice and refreshed after a sleep in a quiet F cabin than one stuck in an economy seat near a screaming baby
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:17 am

As already mentioned not all aircraft have the CRC, they get more seats in and can sell them on short haul
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:25 am

Okay then for argument sake what would EK do when they have a full F cabin? Just withhold one F seat from sale so it could be used for crew rest when the pilots have a crew bunk already ? I am all for well rested Pilots , but find it odd that out of 3 daily flights that only one has a blocked F seat for flight deck crew. Cabin crew as well, 8am takeoff in Dubai and arrival in Cape Town at 4pm for example, surely doesn’t need 4 rows of economy curtained off, can’t all be that tired that the crew rest area is over run?
If there is an empty seat in F on the day then sure or even in J then by all means, however crew rest area should be utilized first ( if available) or EK shouldn’t be sending aircraft without that facility on such long haul flights.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For argument sake, what does it matter how EK chooses to utilise its fleet?

Has it caused you not to be able to purchase a 1st class ticket?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:55 am

Okay then for argument sake what would EK do when they have a full F cabin? Just withhold one F seat from sale so it could be used for crew rest when the pilots have a crew bunk already ? I am all for well rested Pilots , but find it odd that out of 3 daily flights that only one has a blocked F seat for flight deck crew. Cabin crew as well, 8am takeoff in Dubai and arrival in Cape Town at 4pm for example, surely doesn’t need 4 rows of economy curtained off, can’t all be that tired that the crew rest area is over run?
If there is an empty seat in F on the day then sure or even in J then by all means, however crew rest area should be utilized first ( if available) or EK shouldn’t be sending aircraft without that facility on such long haul flights.
Yes, they don't sell the 8th seat. It's 100% standard practice and has been well known for many years. Some aircraft just don't have a crew rest area, it's completely normal.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:07 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
These days it is indeed on 779 only. But a year ago I was in F on 771 and it was also a ‘7 seat F cabin’. And that seat was used by the off duty pilot as explained (I was in 1F and noticed that when I woke up half an hour out of DXB there was a different pilot than when I retired for the night).
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For argument sake, what does it matter how EK chooses to utilise its fleet?

Has it caused you not to be able to purchase a 1st class ticket?
I do not really care how EK utilise their fleet and no as i usually book F way out in advanced like most F pax's , however it may dent my chances in J-F upgrade space thou. I am just pointing out how i find it odd that EK779 has a F seat blocked for flight deck crew compared to EK771 that doesn't, with about an hours flight departure difference when comparing the two. I am merely interested in how and why Emirates would do that and block a F seat limiting the purchasing of only 7 seats instead of 8 so far in advanced, from a logistical and efficiency point of view it would be surely easier for EK to roster configs with a crew rest bunk on long haul sectors ensuring that flight deck crew meet the criteria for undisturbed horizontal sleeping position as set out by the respective aviation authority, then if F/J cabin does not go out full then to allow flight deck crew to make use of F/J instead of losing revenue in the first place. To recap i have no problem with crew using F/J for rest periods as long as it does not directly disturb me - same goes for passengers as well , but if crew rest area is available then why use a configuration on long haul sectors with aircraft without that configuration or even buy aircraft with that installed - especially when cabin crew usually have that curtained off crew rest section in the last few rows of economy.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:34 am

I do not really care how EK utilise their fleet and no as i usually book F way out in advanced like most F pax's , however it may dent my chances in J-F upgrade space thou. I am just pointing out how i find it odd that EK779 has a F seat blocked for flight deck crew compared to EK771 that doesn't, with about an hours flight departure difference when comparing the two. I am merely interested in how and why Emirates would do that and block a F seat limiting the purchasing of only 7 seats instead of 8 so far in advanced, from a logistical and efficiency point of view it would be surely easier for EK to roster configs with a crew rest bunk on long haul sectors ensuring that flight deck crew meet the criteria for undisturbed horizontal sleeping position as set out by the respective aviation authority, then if F/J cabin does not go out full then to allow flight deck crew to make use of F/J instead of losing revenue in the first place. To recap i have no problem with crew using F/J for rest periods as long as it does not directly disturb me - same goes for passengers as well , but if crew rest area is available then why use a configuration on long haul sectors with aircraft without that configuration or even buy aircraft with that installed - especially when cabin crew usually have that curtained off crew rest section in the last few rows of economy.
Because many shorter sectors don't require crew rest and it'd be wasteful to buy only aircraft with crew rest. It also affects performance (weight and balance). They need to roster non-CRC aircraft on some longer routes for efficient fleet utilisation.

As for why 779 and not others it may be because other have CRC, or the time of day
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
In the spirit of discussion, to a perfectly reasonable question, is there any point answering a question with a question? If that is the case every time somebody asks something the reply may well as be "why not" or another classic "it is what it is". Adds no value at all.
Saltire74, Flame3601 and eminere like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Will08
In the spirit of discussion, to a perfectly reasonable question, is there any point answering a question with a question? If that is the case every time somebody asks something the reply may well as be "why not" or another classic "it is what it is". Adds no value at all.
"It is what it is" isn't a question.

ironic, this post adds no value
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
"It is what it is" isn't a question.

ironic, this post adds no value
Yes I realised that whist typing however it seems harsh for somebody to get a response "what does it matter how EK chooses to utilise its fleet?"

This answer could be used for absolutely anything!

And yes I know.. Ironically this is an extension of a post adding no value.
skywardhunter and Flame3601 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Will08
In post 6 the OP was dictating what EK should and should not do as far as use of its fleet/seating goes. I have trouble seeing a reason why EK should not use its fleet as it best sees fit. There is a difference between asking why something is done and stating how it should be done

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.