Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

why is DXB-JFK flight referred to as Emirates 5KP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

why is DXB-JFK flight referred to as Emirates 5KP? (by air traffic control as well as FlightAware)

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE5KP
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by geometry
why is DXB-JFK flight referred to as Emirates 5KP? (by air traffic control as well as FlightAware)

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE5KP
​​​​​
ATC call signs often don't reflect the flight number that pax see. I'm not sure if the reasoning, but might be related to two flights operating the same flight number that day or because it's a foreign operator. Basically the airline can file any call sign they like on the flight plan
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
The reasoning is to lower chance of conflict, either when there is a similar flight number at the same time in the same area, or even a same number from a different airline.

You can easily imagine that if a flight takes instruction meant for a different airplane it can be a problem.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:01 pm

With respect to ATC callsigns there are more and more similar-sounding callsigns leading to potential hazardous situations where a pilot may take an ATC clearance meant for someone else as his own, such as a climb or descent clearance. ATC Service providers have asked airlines to try to use more unique callsigns to avoid this. In this case it has probably been identified that another airline flying in or out of DXB or JFK every day at approximately the same time also used the ‘5’, such as ‘Speedbird 5’ or ‘SkyDubai 5’. Adding the ‘Kilo Poppa’ just reduces the risk of any callsign confusion on the radio.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
I read somewhere from a FZ pilot that DXB was moving to a call-sign (vs flight number) ATC model for some of the reasons mentioned above. Recent change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.