Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business "Saver" tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Business "Saver" tickets

I have noticed that many routes/times don't have Saver tickets available.
On a recent flight one sector was on a Saver the next on Flex.I have noticed that on many flights/times exUK there are only Flex if booked within 6 months of flight,but 9 months out there is availability in Saver.
Are Saver tickets limited on flights depending on availability by flight/route (ie 5% of seats) and when they are gone you have to buy Flex.
If this is so then booking leisure when flights are just in range, if priced competitively, must be the way to go.?
SS
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Honestly doesn't matter.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Silverswimmer
On a recent flight one sector was on a Saver the next on Flex.I have noticed that on many flights/times exUK there are only Flex if booked within 6 months of flight,but 9 months out there is availability in Saver.
Are Saver tickets limited on flights depending on availability by flight/route (ie 5% of seats) and when they are gone you have to buy Flex.
If this is so then booking leisure when flights are just in range, if priced competitively, must be the way to go.?
SS
EK only makes limited Savers available but at various times, so some might pop up a month out occasionally, I tend to avoid them and book Flex as the miles v fare difference usually is is minimal, i.e. double miles for an extra 20$, and I often change flights to appreciate the flexibility.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:09 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by DatBoi
Honestly doesn't matter.
Not everyone has the disposable income to splash out on Flex & Flex Plus fares so it does make a big difference.

S
nmc980, pierreza, DYKWIA and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by DatBoi
Honestly doesn't matter.
Only if your father is paying...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
The question itself was a bit confusing to me so I didn't take into account price.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Thanks skywardhunter in #3-I have found that the earlier you book the more chance of a Saver ticket, my recent BHX/DXB/RGN/BKK/DXB/BHX trip only has Saver on the DXB/RGN sector-I booked that for peak season, in September.
I have booked the same route for December/January next at Saver on all sectors and saved £712.
To DatBoi . Not helpful. Now retired I no longer fly first as all my tickets are self funded out of tax paid personal income,not Company expenses
You'll end up there eventually
SS
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
EK only makes limited Savers available but at various times, so some might pop up a month out occasionally, I tend to avoid them and book Flex as the miles v fare difference usually is is minimal, i.e. double miles for an extra 20$, and I often change flights to appreciate the flexibility.
His example was Ex UK so you'll need to add a 0 on to that 20 dollars.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
I am not 100% familiar on all different pricing points at different locations, but speaking from a South African point of sale, you will usually find little monetary difference between saver and flex fares ( not including flex plus). I personally will on reasonable grounds always select the flex fare due to the better flexibility/miles. I do know for a fact that the difference between saver and flex from someone starting their journey in Zurich is a big gap, our flex plus fares down here in Cape Town would price out as their saver fares - if that makes sense.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:13 am

SS
really depends on route and when you travel - sometimes savers open up nearer the flight time and you can pay more for booking too far in advance -I think EK say it’s 35 plus days out to get the best price - they punish last minute flyers.

prices have gone up - I used to get F savers for what I’m paying for some j flex / flex plus tickets. I’d only by j saver if I was flying j if I could help it.
Silverswimmer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by m3red

really depends on route and when you travel - sometimes savers open up nearer the flight time and you can pay more for booking too far in advance -I think EK say it’s 35 plus days out to get the best price - they punish last minute flyers.

prices have gone up - I used to get F savers for what I’m paying for some j flex / flex plus tickets. I’d only by j saver if I was flying j if I could help it.
Got a Y Flex 8 days out last week that was the same price I'd usually pay 6 weeks out so not sure about the last minute punishment. But agreed Savers pop up nearer to departure. What you're seeing now doesn't mean that Savers won't become available in the future.
m3red likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Will08
His example was Ex UK so you'll need to add a 0 on to that 20 dollars.
Currently the price for December flight BHX/BKK/BHX is £2140 Saver and Flex £3165 !!!
That is a $1400 difference not $200
SS
I sometimes wonder if some posters ever know how much their tickets cost?
Hence the Thread topic as timing and availability of Saver tickets is critical when spending your own dosh
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:59 pm

Currently the price for December flight BHX/BKK/BHX is £2140 Saver and Flex £3165 !!!
SS
Hence the Thread topic as timing and availability of Saver tickets is critical when spending your own dosh
The differences ...where they exist...vary.
Those departing SA are fortunate that in paying the higher fare ....the difference is small.Not all others are as fortunate nor have access to business saver departing their markets.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:15 pm

SS
I believe I and other posters may have also been referring to Y prices. Not everyone flies J. Your thread title mentioned business but the post itself didn't, I didn't click that you were talking about J fares. Same principle more or less for J ex SA however I believe
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
SS
I certainly do know how much my airfares cost as I am a self funded gold. The comment was referring to a previous thread discussing the difference in saver to flex (Y) between ex UK and ex SA. Obviously you aren't privy to that but its pretty obvious the comment was tongue in cheek.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.