Wiki Posts
Search

EK to Auckland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
EK to Auckland

I’m flying DXB-AKL-MEL in firstclass and the layover in Auckland is about 7 hours. I’ve never been to NZ and was wondering if anyone could shed light on the layover? Am I able to leave the airport, and do I have enough time to get from the airport downtown and back? What lounge is the best to hang out at in NZ? Any information that could be useful on this route would be appreciated.

thanks
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:05 am

Why not fly DXB-MEL? Going via AKL results in a large backtrack.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Whether you're allowed to leave the airport depends on your nationality and visa requirements...
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Airport is well outside of the city center. No airport train. Bus or taxi to city. Depending on time of day... traffic can be very bad. Standard EK lounge.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Why not fly DXB-MEL? Going via AKL results in a large backtrack.
This is FT.... you surely know the answer
Ryanardo_daVinci and synd like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I’m flying DXB-AKL-MEL in firstclass and the layover in Auckland is about 7 hours. I’ve never been to NZ and was wondering if anyone could shed light on the layover? Am I able to leave the airport, and do I have enough time to get from the airport downtown and back? What lounge is the best to hang out at in NZ? Any information that could be useful on this route would be appreciated.

thanks
On the assumption you are allowed to enter NZ, you should have time to head into the CBD, have a wander round the waterfront, grab a bite and head back to the airport, but it will be tight. Any delay on the arrival flight and it won’t work. EK Lounge is quite comfortable.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

I’m a US passport holder and citizen so entrance should not be an issue. I’m just wondering if I can stow my bags in the lounge and then go into the city so I’m not lugging around my luggage around Auckland.

At the very least i would like to see outside the airport since I’ve never seen NZ at all.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
I’m a US passport holder and citizen so entrance should not be an issue. I’m just wondering if I can stow my bags in the lounge and then go into the city so I’m not lugging around my luggage around Auckland.

At the very least i would like to see outside the airport since I’ve never seen NZ at all.
You won’t have access to lounges on arrival. There are storage facilities in the arrivals area after immigration/MAF.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eltham

You won’t have access to lounges on arrival. There are storage facilities in the arrivals area after immigration/MAF.
And is it worth it to run into the city? It seems like from the responses that any little delay will make me miss my flight to Melbourne.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:20 pm

And is it worth it to run into the city? It seems like from the responses that any little delay will make me miss my flight to Melbourne.
What are you wanting to do or see in the City? If there is something you want to do in the city sure see it. Bus roughly allocated an hour worse one I have had is 90min. Though leaving Auckland I'm normally flying home domestically so no stress as domestic security is never more than a few minutes and can be landside when they make the final call and make the flight. International is different and think MEL flight leaves near the start of the evening peak so security and emigration can have queues.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:15 am
Suspended

This is what I would do:

Clear immigration (assuming your bags are checked through) then if your hand luggage is large, re-enter the terminal and leave it in storage, but if it’s small, like a backpack, bring it with you.

Get an uber into the city, won’t be much quicker than the bus, but the bus trundles around to the domestic terminal after international and it just takes that bit longer. Uber is cheap in Auckland.

Go to the Sky Tower and get an excellent summary of the city, both in view and information.

Take a wander down to the waterfront (just keep going downhill). Depending on time available, either take a harbour cruise for an hour, or if hungry pop into the Botswana Butchery for one of their lunchtime specials (steak restaurant), or turn left and head for the marina and there are plenty of options there. Then Uber back to the airport.

Allowing an hour each way in the Uber, plus 90 mins pre-flight, you should have up to 3 1/2 hours in the city.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donpizmeoff
This is what I would do:

Clear immigration (assuming your bags are checked through) then if your hand luggage is large, re-enter the terminal and leave it in storage, but if it’s small, like a backpack, bring it with you.

Get an uber into the city, won’t be much quicker than the bus, but the bus trundles around to the domestic terminal after international and it just takes that bit longer. Uber is cheap in Auckland.

Go to the Sky Tower and get an excellent summary of the city, both in view and information.

Take a wander down to the waterfront (just keep going downhill). Depending on time available, either take a harbour cruise for an hour, or if hungry pop into the Botswana Butchery for one of their lunchtime specials (steak restaurant), or turn left and head for the marina and there are plenty of options there. Then Uber back to the airport.

Allowing an hour each way in the Uber, plus 90 mins pre-flight, you should have up to 3 1/2 hours in the city.
Thank you
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by donpizmeoff
This is what I would do:

The bus is the other way now, given the domestic forecourt changes. It starts at the domestic terminal, then international, then city. And on the way to the airport does international then domestic.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Used uber to get to and from. Beautiful city, and country. Delightfully nice people, including the immigration officers who were assisting in giving suggestions on where to go, what to do, and what time I should to be back by to make my layover.
Frankly, I was quite surprised at the sheer kindness and patience an immigration officer would show me, a lowly tourist, visiting their country. I think that reflects very highly on New Zealand, and their mindset. It’s a sad state of affairs in many modern western countries immigration officers with the worst offenders (in this order) being Canada, America, and even Australia comes to mind of immigration officers who are just interested in trying to trip you up and prove you’re smuggling heroin or just got back from an ISIS holiday.
XXTSGR, Mwenenzi and synd like this.

Last edited by NWplatinum; Apr 1, 2018 at 2:26 am
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Can't agree more! NZ'ers are extremely friendly and helpful, even the immigrations officers, lol such a difference to some other countries.... (USA, France come to mind) Glad you had a great time!
NWplatinum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.