Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrading with Miles J - F - outbound available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.

I'm looking at doing the following itinerary: -

It's a Business Saver fare.

I want to upgrade to First using miles. Both flights on the outward journey are available, the inbound is completely unavailable.
The mileage calculator tells me that the cost to upgrade is 156k miles return, so 78k each way.

The question: Given the pause between flights on the outbound, is this still considered 78k? It's less than 24 hours connection.

I'll have to hope the return comes up at some point!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
It is, anything under 24 hours is a transit. Keep in mind, however, that a Saver fare can only be upgraded at check-in, not in advance.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It is, anything under 24 hours is a transit. Keep in mind, however, that a Saver fare can only be upgraded at check-in, not in advance.
Correct the cost will be 78k miles. However as this is a Business Saver fare it can be upgraded at any time as long as there is availability. Only Economy Saver fares have to wait until check-in for upgrades.
jakesterUK likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Alan Holden
Correct the cost will be 78k miles. However as this is a Business Saver fare it can be upgraded at any time as long as there is availability. Only Economy Saver fares have to wait until check-in for upgrades.
Oh whoops... clearly I spend too much time in Y I thought the upgrade restriction also applied to J Savers...
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Thank you for the replies.

Emirates have a feature where you can effectively waitlist for an upgrade, don't they? How does it work?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by jakesterUK

Emirates have a feature where you can effectively waitlist for an upgrade, don't they? How does it work?
Auto-Upgrade, if you go to the Upgrade with Miles option on MMB, however reports have shown that it isn't always guaranteed you'll beat someone to it if they do it manually and one doesn't know what sequence one is in with others who've set it for that flight. Easiest is to use an ExpertFlyer alert (though they're having issues with EK Award space right now, but working to fix it) and then do it manually
jakesterUK likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:06 am

it doesn’t work well
jakesterUK likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:52 am

It won't link the two sectors of your journey so you would end up paying more miles than if you can upgrade the entire inbound leg in a regular manner.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by ft101
It won't link the two sectors of your journey so you would end up paying more miles than if you can upgrade the entire inbound leg in a regular manner.
You need to email Emirates if the two sections of the journey are upgraded separately - they will then readjust the total mileage and apply the lower total inbound mileage rate. Have done this and got a response within 24 hours.
jakesterUK likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by dwugson
You need to email Emirates if the two sections of the journey are upgraded separately - they will then readjust the total mileage and apply the lower total inbound mileage rate. Have done this and got a response within 24 hours.
Or call and they do it on the spot in minutes
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by dwugson
Or call and they do it on the spot in minutes
Didn't someone post recently that they'd tried to get this done and got knocked back by Emirates? Maybe need to HUACA (or email again) if unsuccesful first time round.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Didn't someone post recently that they'd tried to get this done and got knocked back by Emirates? Maybe need to HUACA (or email again) if unsuccesful first time round.
It was reported a week or so ago that the combination for lower miles is now confirmed SOP/policy
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:15 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
It was reported a week or so ago that the combination for lower miles is now confirmed SOP/policy
It would be quite interesting to get the detail on this. Especially how 'retrospective' EK would be.
The extreme case would probably be that you get a 'space available on board upgrade' on two legs (of the same journey, obviously). If you then phone the call centre a day or so later, will they retrospectively adjust the miles credited?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
It would be quite interesting to get the detail on this. Especially how 'retrospective' EK would be.
The extreme case would probably be that you get a 'space available on board upgrade' on two legs (of the same journey, obviously). If you then phone the call centre a day or so later, will they retrospectively adjust the miles credited?
I wouldn't expect that, in fact I wouldn't really expect any retroactive adjustment, but rather that when the 2nd leg becomes available you call and they process it then at the lower rate, rather than using more mile and getting some back.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:12 am

I wouldn't expect that, in fact I wouldn't really expect any retroactive adjustment, but rather that when the 2nd leg becomes available you call and they process it then at the lower rate, rather than using more mile and getting some back.
there is no way that if you upgrade onboard that eks system is smart enough to do this
skywardhunter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.