FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Flying over Iraq (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1896166-flying-over-iraq.html)

Nervousflyer18 Feb 28, 2018 1:55 am

Flying over Iraq

Hi guys,
I recently noticed that they started flying over Iraq (when flying from Europe to UAE) instead Iran again. I am a bit of a nervous flyer so I'm concerned about it. Do you think it is safe? Thank you.

skywardhunter Feb 28, 2018 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Nervousflyer18 (Post 29467953)
Hi guys,
I recently noticed that they started flying over Iraq (when flying from Europe to UAE) instead Iran again. I am a bit of a nervous flyer so I'm concerned about it. Do you think it is safe? Thank you.

Yes, why are you concerned by it? IS is pretty much defeated in Iraq anyway

EK have a very good group security department and plan their routes carefully, they wouldn't choose a route where there is danger. Also northern Iraq/Kurdistan has generally been very stable over the years and EK flies to Erbil (or has, not sure if they currently do as there was some intermittent insurgency with IS I believe)

sydtogla Feb 28, 2018 2:00 am

You have nothing to worry about. Although if there is an emergency on board I wonder if they would land in somewhere like Najaf or Tikrit.

Emirates runs commercial flights to many of the hotspots in the region, they know what they're doing :)

skywardhunter Feb 28, 2018 2:18 am

Originally Posted by sydtogla (Post 29467962)
You have nothing to worry about. Although if there is an emergency on board I wonder if they would land in somewhere like Najaf or Tikrit.

Emirates runs commercial flights to many of the hotspots in the region, they know what they're doing :)

They'd have pre-defined and authorized diversion points and from FL330 or above would most likely make it across the Iraqi border in an emergency, as they'd need some space to descend anyway, Erbil and Tehran are pretty safe places to land, relatively speaking.

extramileage Feb 28, 2018 8:43 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29467959)
Yes, why are you concerned by it?

Name checks out. :p

skywardhunter Feb 28, 2018 8:56 am

Originally Posted by extramileage (Post 29468938)
Name checks out. :p

Not why nervous flyer in general, I understand that some people just are, I meant what aspect of overflying Iraq is concerning, the prospect of a Ukraine MH type missile strike, the prospect of forced landing in enemy territory/lack of diversion points, ...? Depending on what it is we might be able to provide more precise reasons why there is no risk (or little risk)

tmac100 Feb 28, 2018 11:15 am

Yes, why are you concerned by it? IS is pretty much defeated in Iraq anyway

EK have a very good group security department and plan their routes carefully, they wouldn't choose a route where there is danger. Also northern Iraq/Kurdistan has generally been very stable over the years and EK flies to Erbil (or has, not sure if they currently do as there was some intermittent insurgency with IS I believe)

FWIW, look at the OP's name and admonition. If he did not state his "condition", I would dismiss this "concern" as trolling.

Flying EK (or any other IATA member) is certainly safer than driving on the 311 thru Dubai. Just my bias showing ...

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Mar 1, 2018 2:15 am

Originally Posted by tmac100 (Post 29469552)
... If he did not state his "condition", I would dismiss this "concern" as trolling.

Flying EK (or any other IATA member) is certainly safer than driving on the 311 thru Dubai. Just my bias showing ...

It may be safer than driving on the 311, but did anyone ask the question of airlines flying over the Ukraine before MH17?

I think asking questions about flight paths is legitimate and far from trolling.

ioto1902 Mar 1, 2018 1:36 pm

EK has probably assessed the cost of a hull loss along with the cost of pax & crew compensation and image damage, before taking such decision.
EK is still avoiding Syrian airspace. Isn't it ?

simons1 Mar 4, 2018 3:25 am

EK flies to Erbil (or has, not sure if they currently do as there was some intermittent insurgency with IS I believe)

EK hasn't flown to Erbil for 3 years now AFAIK.

skywardhunter Mar 4, 2018 3:26 am

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 29483181)
EK hasn't flown to Erbil for 3 years now AFAIK.

​​​​​​That long? I know they stopped but am sure I was still looking at fares less than 3yrs ago ... Time flies.

thijsseh Mar 4, 2018 7:26 am

When you look at Flightradar24, you will notice a steady stream of aircraft, EK, QR, EY mainly flying in a line over Iraq. Clearly this is now considered safe by many airlines. They all go towards the NE corner of Syria and then turn towards (mainly) European destinations.

tmac100 Mar 4, 2018 7:40 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 29472011)
It may be safer than driving on the 311, but did anyone ask the question of airlines flying over the Ukraine before MH17?

I think asking questions about flight paths is legitimate and far from trolling.

Yes, one never knows. Also along your frame of thought/reference, I wonder if anyone asks about flight paths AND pilot's condition before boarding. I refer specifically to Germanwings flight 9525 on 24 March 2015. And that was over France!
So much for asking questions. Flying is still safer than driving anywhere.

CALMSP Mar 5, 2018 11:12 am

it is weird. I've noticed the same thing recently, including QR flights. QR seemed to only use Iraq for AMM flights with the Saudi air space block. But do seem to see majority of flights bypassing all Iraq. Wonder what differences are decided on to use Iraq airspace or not?

davidj1 Jan 3, 2020 10:30 am

Since the US strikes on Sunday and now on Friday I wonder when the airspace will be avoided? There is a steady stream of EK, QR, BA, AF aircraft flying across the west of the country as of now, but is this deemed safe if there is an escalating situation?

Has an advisory or NOTAM been issed to airlines on impeeding military activities and therefore the path should be avoided? Any no fly airspace, or FL advisories out there?