Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying over Iraq

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:02 pm

When Iran does retaliate, it will send missiles to Saudi, UAE or Israel targets. That might render most of the Middle East a no-fly zone, including Iran, inhibiting EK, QR anf EY to fly anywhere, unless circumnavigating the Arabian Peninsula which is at least two more hours flying time.
QR is already rather isolated because the UAE and Saudi Arabian airspace is blocked for QR.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:32 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
A quick glance at FR24 just now shows me that EK and EY are routing through Iraq at the moment and QR are routing through Iran on their European routes.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by sydtogla
A quick glance at FR24 just now shows me that EK and EY are routing through Iraq at the moment and QR are routing through Iran on their European routes.
Apart from EK & EY spotted quite a few QR flights across Iraq, eg BHX-DOH, MAD-DOH, LHR-DOH, IST-DOH or MAN-DOH. Business as usual and Iraq airspace not affected but would assume that risks are being assessed by respective authorities on ongoing basis.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
04/01/20 2:18 UTC time
Attached Images  
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
I flew ORD-DXB arriving Friday and we flew over Iran.

davidj1 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Following the attacks by Iran tonight on US bases in Iraq the FAA issued this:

>>The Federal Aviation Administration issued Notices to Airmen (NOTAMS) tonight outlining flight restrictions that prohibit U.S. civil aviation operators from operating in the airspace over Iraq, Iran, and the waters of the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. The FAA will continue closely monitoring events in the Middle East. We continue coordinating with our national security partners and sharing information with U.S. air carriers and foreign civil aviation authorities. >>

https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/l...-20/index.html
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
All this morning's weestern-bound flights seem to be heading up to Shiraz rather than continuing up the Gulf.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by csdf
All this morning's weestern-bound flights seem to be heading up to Shiraz rather than continuing up the Gulf.
All looks normal now. Lots heading up the gulf past Qatar.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by daisymay2
Following the attacks by Iran tonight on US bases in Iraq the FAA issued this:

>>The Federal Aviation Administration issued Notices to Airmen (NOTAMS) tonight outlining flight restrictions that prohibit U.S. civil aviation operators from operating in the airspace over Iraq, Iran, and the waters of the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. The FAA will continue closely monitoring events in the Middle East. We continue coordinating with our national security partners and sharing information with U.S. air carriers and foreign civil aviation authorities. >>

https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/l...-20/index.html
At the moment, this only applies to US operators. How long before the FAA ban *all* flights heading to/from the US from these areas?

How would that affect EK (and EY/QR for that matter)? It would be a heck of a detour to avoid "Iraq, Iran, and the waters of the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman". Would the flights still be viable? Would we see flights/routes suspended?

Maybe a nice side effect for the US3 - who get what they wanted all along...

Removes tinfoil hat...
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by DYKWIA; Jan 8, 2020 at 1:51 am
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:44 am

Last edited by DYKWIA; Jan 8, 2020 at 1:51 am
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
At the moment, this only applies to US operators. How long before the FAA ban *all* flights heading to/from the US from these areas?

How would that affect EK (and EY/QR for that matter)? It would be a heck of a detour to avoid "Iraq, Iran, and the waters of the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman". Would the flights still be viable? Would we see flights/routes suspended?

Maybe a nice side effect for the US3 - who get what they wanted all along...

Removes tinfoil hat...
what’s US3?

KLM just forbidden all flights to fly over Iraq & Iran.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:41 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by itisme
what’s US3?

KLM just forbidden all flights to fly over Iraq & Iran.
The lovely cry-baby airlines that are UA, DL and AA.
daisymay2 and m3red like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
How long before the FAA ban *all* flights heading to/from the US from these areas?
[/color]

Removes tinfoil hat...
And then wait for the local ME aviation authority or government ban US operation to the ME.

Today "Air France, Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines and Taiwan's EVA Air said they were avoiding the airspace above Iran and Iraq. Singapore Airlines said it would not fly over Iran."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/08/b...ace/index.html

It's interesting that airlines continue to be reactive and not proactive here, waiting for either FAA guidelines or actual hostile attack to alter flight plans. Have we not learnt from MH17?
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:27 am

Curious what EK, EY and QR are going to do.
Now EK flies over Iran and Iraq, but when this closes (and this will happen), they have to detour over Saudi Arabia and Egypt to fly to Europe and fly northeastward to the USA to bypass Iran.
QR might even suspend operations, as they are not allowed to fly over Saudi airspace.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by davidj1
And then wait for the local ME aviation authority or government ban US operation to the ME.
What US flights go to the ME?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.