Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Twin seats in economy - worth the cost?

Twin seats in economy - worth the cost?

Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Just went through this for the first time as I get free seats as Gold. Flying with my mother on Monday on separate tickets and she's in a special and no status so at exactly T-48 checked her in and all seats had been assigned prior to OLCI, the only 2 seats together happened to be twins so happy to have snagged them, but point being that even at T-48 seat selection will be limited. Upper deck A380 definitely nice
Off topic, but I've just made my first economy class booking since the paid for seat rules were introduced. When I first went in to Manage a Booking I noticed I'd been automatically allocated regular seats and changed them to my choices (I'm Gold so could get up front ones for free and centres upstairs on the A380). If everyone now is getting allocated seats when a trip is booked, it's going to severely restrict the choices of those who are airline savvy or who juggle seats to get an empty one next to them.

Has anyone else noticed this and is my take on it accurate?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
Off topic, but I've just made my first economy class booking since the paid for seat rules were introduced. When I first went in to Manage a Booking I noticed I'd been automatically allocated regular seats and changed them to my choices (I'm Gold so could get up front ones for free and centres upstairs on the A380). If everyone now is getting allocated seats when a trip is booked, it's going to severely restrict the choices of those who are airline savvy or who juggle seats to get an empty one next to them.

​​​​​​You were allocated seats because you are Gold, or booked a Flex or above fare. On a Saver or Special fare no seat is assigned until just before OLCI opens
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A

Yes I was allocated regular seats automatically (silver) and changed mine on MMB.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Slightly off topic too but I have upcoming EK flights in Y. Wanted to purchase front row extra legroom seats. Checked on Expertflyer and all those seats show as blocked (and so do all pairs and so-called preferred seats).

Once I go to manage by booking all Expertflyer blocked seats are available for sale, except for the extra legroom ones.

I checked the EK website to see if those are only for sale to high status members (I have no status on EK) like on BA but found no such mention - it appears EK is happy to sell those to anyone.

Any idea why these seats are blocked and what can I do?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Slightly off topic too but I have upcoming EK flights in Y. Wanted to purchase front row extra legroom seats. Checked on Expertflyer and all those seats show as blocked (and so do all pairs and so-called preferred seats).

Once I go to manage by booking all Expertflyer blocked seats are available for sale, except for the extra legroom ones.

I checked the EK website to see if those are only for sale to high status members (I have no status on EK) like on BA but found no such mention - it appears EK is happy to sell those to anyone.

Yeah they're blocked because you have to pay that's how paid seats appear, once you pay they become unblocked for you.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:36 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK

The seating policy is quite comprehensively explained here: https://www.emirates.com/za/english/...eat-selection/

As skyward hunter mentioned, EF is somewhat confusing as it shows these seats as 'blocked', which technically is not true.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:43 am

I think what Takiteasy is saying is that he/she can't even purchase these seats despite being willing to pay.

I hadn't picked up on it, but the same is showing on my booking for 3 Class B777-300ER, Row 17 and 23 & 28 (centers), 2 class A380 Rows 24/25, 45 (center) and 52.

It seems bulkheads are blocked completely (which don't necessarily have extra legroom anyway, but genuine extra legroom seats are being sold. Maybe to stop people from buying the bulkhead thinking they're getting room to stretch their legs when in reality a regular seat may have more space as your feet can go under the seat in front.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:25 am

I think what Takiteasy is saying is that he/she can't even purchase these seats despite being willing to pay.

I hadn't picked up on it, but the same is showing on my booking for 3 Class B777-300ER, Row 17 and 23 & 28 (centers), 2 class A380 Rows 24/25, 45 (center) and 52.

It seems bulkheads are blocked completely (which don't necessarily have extra legroom anyway, but genuine extra legroom seats are being sold. Maybe to stop people from buying the bulkhead thinking they're getting room to stretch their legs when in reality a regular seat may have more space as your feet can go under the seat in front.
Or to protect bassinet space
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:46 am

Or to protect bassinet space
Good point - that seems more likely.

Takiteasy, what do you want more - front row or extra legroom as the two don't necessarily go together?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Good point - that seems more likely.

Takiteasy, what do you want more - front row or extra legroom as the two don't necessarily go together?
Extra legroom. But despite there are virtually no seats reserved on my flights these are blocked too (assuming those are the emergency exits). Are there extra legroom seats I have missed on the A380?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:38 am

Extra legroom. But despite there are virtually no seats reserved on my flights these are blocked too (assuming those are the emergency exits). Are there extra legroom seats I have missed on the A380?
Row 41 (on the 2 class and the non ULR 3 class), 67B, C, H and J, 68A and K and Row 80 ABC & HJK. Older planes are slightly different as Row 80 doesn't have A and K so 81 is the extra legroom seat.

These are all showing available for purchase on my booking.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:26 pm
Lux

On paying for twin seats - on my regular route I prefer to sit in one of the last three rows of the 777 (twin seats) as economy deplanes from the back door onto a bus. Since the introduction of paid seating for Gold members, I've learnt that there are always several pairs of twin seats available at check-in, on this South Asian route at least - few others want to pay, either - so I just change my seat to a twin an no cost during on-line checkin. Not sure that would work upstairs on a high-Y A380.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Lux
On paying for twin seats - on my regular route I prefer to sit in one of the last three rows of the 777 (twin seats) as economy deplanes from the back door onto a bus. Since the introduction of paid seating for Gold members, I've learnt that there are always several pairs of twin seats available at check-in, on this South Asian route at least - few others want to pay, either - so I just change my seat to a twin an no cost during on-line checkin. Not sure that would work upstairs on a high-Y A380.
Similar experience, I virtually never sit in twins because they're all taken unless I book far in advance, but as I usually purchase tickets 1-4 weeks before departure most are already taken, usually travel alone so prefer the front mini-cabin on the 77W, but travelling with my mother last week on separate PNRs and her being on a Special ticket at exactly T-48 tried to get us seats together but EK had assigned everyone seats automatically (annoying!) but lo and behold.... 46A and B were available, best seats in the house when travelling together (first row of twins, with an entire seat's width of space beside the aisle seat). Only downside is pax queuing/stretching there but that's a very short part of the overall flight, was very pleasant, also that I could run back and grab another Tiger whenever I needed one (the crew put them in the ice drawer for me )
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:45 am

... 46A and B were available, best seats in the house when travelling together (first row of twins, with an entire seat's width of space beside the aisle seat).
47 better.

TV screens straight in front and armrest can go up if you want. Room in front and to the side of the aisle seat.
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:57 am

47 better.

TV screens straight in front and armrest can go up if you want. Room in front and to the side of the aisle seat.
I'll believe that, not a regular twin seater, was surprised by the immovable arm rest

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.