FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Upgrade available (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1892466-upgrade-available.html)

MarcoGT Feb 6, 2018 5:04 am

Upgrade available

I just got an offer for an upgrade for 30k from J to F on MXP-DXB on 380.
Does it worth it? I am traveling alone. Trip was paid by my employer.
I tried to use miles for my next intra-EU trip with easyjet but not enough miles (traveling with family).
i think I cannot use the first lounge in Dubai, right?
will I get more miles after upgrade? In business, I will be 2k short of gold.

Thanks
marco

skywardhunter Feb 6, 2018 5:42 am

Hi Marco,

the offer should answer many of your questions (i.e. mile earning), but generally for these offers the following applies:

- No lounge access, unless you already had access (you do, as you're travelling in J)
- The entire EK network has lounge access based on departing flight, there is no arrival lounge concept so you will not have access in DXB
- You will earn based on the original booked class, this applies to all miles upgrades
- Only you can decide if it is worth it, do you have 30k miles and no better way to spend them? Do you need the rest on the flight or have a craving for Dom or Caviar (if available)? Then yes. 30k seems like a fair amount for a 5 or 6 hour flight, I might go for it, depending on how my miles balance was looking and what upcoming travel I had that I'd want to perhaps keep miles for or would earn more from.

MarcoGT Feb 6, 2018 10:15 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29385172)
Hi Marco,

the offer should answer many of your questions (i.e. mile earning), but generally for these offers the following applies:

- No lounge access, unless you already had access (you do, as you're travelling in J)
- The entire EK network has lounge access based on departing flight, there is no arrival lounge concept so you will not have access in DXB
- You will earn based on the original booked class, this applies to all miles upgrades
- Only you can decide if it is worth it, do you have 30k miles and no better way to spend them? Do you need the rest on the flight or have a craving for Dom or Caviar (if available)? Then yes. 30k seems like a fair amount for a 5 or 6 hour flight, I might go for it, depending on how my miles balance was looking and what upcoming travel I had that I'd want to perhaps keep miles for or would earn more from.

Thanks.
I took the offer; I do not know when I will have the opportunity again to try first on 380 (but also on 777).
Let's see...I am on 3A :D

MarcoGT Feb 13, 2018 6:10 am

GIt the same email to upgrade the first leg for 24k and the second leg for 30k but I only have 19k :(

other question: I am silver dice feb last year I think, is it normal that I got the notification that my silver will expire in March?
i will be 1k short of gold :-(

skywardhunter Feb 13, 2018 6:24 am

Originally Posted by MarcoGT (Post 29411156)
GIt the same email to upgrade the first leg for 24k and the second leg for 30k but I only have 19k :(

other question: I am silver dice feb last year I think, is it normal that I got the notification that my silver will expire in March?
i will be 1k short of gold :-(

You "will be 1k short of gold", but are you currently over 25k for the tier year? if not then yes it's normal as unflown flights don't count until flown.

MarcoGT Feb 13, 2018 7:23 am

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...91e499927.jpeg
Ok, I was wrong. Became silver in July.
i thought that status is retained two years, not one.

scotclif Feb 14, 2018 1:22 am

Originally Posted by MarcoGT (Post 29386095)
Thanks.
I took the offer; I do not know when I will have the opportunity again to try first on 380 (but also on 777).
Let's see...I am on 3A :D

I was going to suggest to upgrade on the return leg if your coming back to MXB then you would have First Class Lounge in Dubai, which is exceptionally nice. I did it this way coming back to PRG with 30k miles.

You will enjoy the experience i believe, definitely have your shower and you do get a lot more gifts. PJ's, Slippers, upgraded amenity bag and the step up in food and drink served (food is served when you want it, not by schedule), also the First Class bar is nice and the high standard for bottles on offer is exceptional. The overall seating and suit is nice is also a nice experience.

In my opinion. its a nice upgrade but in my eyes its a higher polished standard than the business product, where as economy to business is a WOW factor and a complete different experience.

Enjoy.

Flame3601 Feb 14, 2018 2:08 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29411180)
You "will be 1k short of gold", but are you currently over 25k for the tier year? if not then yes it's normal as unflown flights don't count until flown.

Out of interest if somone was 1k and under short of gold tier, would EK push them through or would it be a case of too bad ?

sydtogla Feb 14, 2018 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601 (Post 29414612)

Out of interest if somone was 1k and under short of gold tier, would EK push them through or would it be a case of too bad ?

I was bumped to gold when I was 800 short....

Flame3601 Feb 14, 2018 7:13 am

Originally Posted by sydtogla (Post 29414633)

I was bumped to gold when I was 800 short....

Year? I

MarcoGT Feb 14, 2018 8:52 am

Yes, I also would have preferred to upgrade the return leg because of the first class lounge but seat was available only on the outbound flight.
now it is available also on the inbound but not enough miles :-(

Saltire74 Feb 14, 2018 9:01 am

Originally Posted by MarcoGT (Post 29415646)
Yes, I also would have preferred to upgrade the return leg because of the first class lounge but seat was available only on the outbound flight.

Have you called to see how much it is to upgrade with cash? The other year, I didn’t have enough miles to go J-F on one leg of a return journey and calculated how much it was to buy the miles, £750 if I remember correctly. I called customer services to see how much I would have to pay to up-fare my ticket to F and got a very pleasant surprise when I was quoted £412 for the full return journey.

Give them a try and see if it’s worth it.

S

Flame3601 Feb 14, 2018 9:09 am

Originally Posted by MarcoGT (Post 29415646)

Thought about buying airmiles via a certain website ? I can show you to one that i know from prior experience is legitimate, should you wish.

MarcoGT Feb 14, 2018 9:36 am

I saw I can buy 1k miles for 40 euros.
upgrade with cash will not work because was booked by agency by my employer.
when I tried in the website it was clearly stated

which is the website?

Flame3601 Feb 14, 2018 9:45 am

Originally Posted by MarcoGT (Post 29415836)
I saw I can buy 1k miles for 40 euros.
upgrade with cash will not work because was booked by agency by my employer.
when I tried in the website it was clearly stated

which is the website?

I shall PM you to ensure website integrity. FYI 23USD per 1,000 EK skyward miles.