FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Ath - Ewr - Which 777? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1889105-ath-ewr-777-a.html)

dan88 Jan 18, 2018 9:00 am

Ath - Ewr - Which 777?

Looking to fly Athens to NYC, i see it is the 777, does anybody know which config it is? I'm looking to fly in first (maybe business) via award ticket, but i can't seem to find any reviews on that specific route that shows pics etc. A lot of miles to burn to find out it's some old config. Also if anybody knows of any better/cheaper way to book that award besides emirates directly I'd appreciate it. thanks!!

ZRHMD11 Jan 18, 2018 9:04 am

Configuration on this flight is always F8 C42 Y306.

S.R Jan 18, 2018 9:31 am

Its a 777 with the suites. Not the brand new suites, but the previous generation suites that are on the A380.
Emirates 777 First Class In 10 Pictures - One Mile at a Time

In business you might get the new 777 J or the old one, its a gamble at this point. But both are still in a 2-3-2 config.

dan88 Jan 18, 2018 11:17 am

Originally Posted by S.R (Post 29308639)
Its a 777 with the suites. Not the brand new suites, but the previous generation suites that are on the A380.
Emirates 777 First Class In 10 Pictures - One Mile at a Time

In business you might get the new 777 J or the old one, its a gamble at this point. But both are still in a 2-3-2 config.

so from what I am reading, the NEW 777 comes with the new suites - so not sure what you mean, how could business be new suites but first is not? Or are they retrofitting business only on some planes? I'm also intrested in maybe flying F 1 way, J the other, but that may depend on the business cabin, I'd rather not spend that many miles on angled seats

Metanoia Jan 18, 2018 11:33 am

Originally Posted by dan88 (Post 29309161)
so from what I am reading, the NEW 777 comes with the new suites - so not sure what you mean, how could business be new suites but first is not? Or are they retrofitting business only on some planes? I'm also intrested in maybe flying F 1 way, J the other, but that may depend on the business cabin, I'd rather not spend that many miles on angled seats

The 777 comes in three general configurations now:
  1. Old Business (angled), Old First Suite
  2. New Business (flat), Old First Suite
  3. New Business, New First

The vast majority are of the first type, a small number of the second and very very few of the third. The Americas 777 routes sometimes get #2 but mostly #1 .

thijsseh Jan 18, 2018 11:45 am

Originally Posted by dan88 (Post 29309161)

From what i van see on the EKsource, This route has in the last 30 days only been served with relatively ‘old’ 77W’s. All of them with the 4F/42J/304Y configuration, no 2 class frames.
The 3 newest 77W’s have the 6F ‘new suite’ configuration and are currently only used on the BRU and GVA routes (on BRU only one of the two flights and even this is of course not cast in stone).
Some time last year, they updated the J cabin with fully flat no-angle beds. AFAIK no frames have been retrofitted, just the new arrivals have the new J product. But the frames used for the ATH route in the last 30 days are all older ones, with the slightly angled seats (which I personally don’t find a problem). As probably less than 10% of the 77W’s have the new product, it would be a fairly safe bet to say that on that route you’ll get the old setup.
In all of this: no guarantees given!

dan88 Jan 18, 2018 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh (Post 29309275)

From what i van see on the EKsource, This route has in the last 30 days only been served with relatively ‘old’ 77W’s. All of them with the 4F/42J/304Y configuration, no 2 class frames.
The 3 newest 77W’s have the 6F ‘new suite’ configuration and are currently only used on the BRU and GVA routes (on BRU only one of the two flights and even this is of course not cast in stone).
Some time last year, they updated the J cabin with fully flat no-angle beds. AFAIK no frames have been retrofitted, just the new arrivals have the new J product. But the frames used for the ATH route in the last 30 days are all older ones, with the slightly angled seats (which I personally don’t find a problem). As probably less than 10% of the 77W’s have the new product, it would be a fairly safe bet to say that on that route you’ll get the old setup.
In all of this: no guarantees given!

I know you don't realize it, and thanks for your informed reply, but half of that was like another language to me.
So, if I can just confirm because I dont want to end up on some realllllly old 777 with an angled in first that I don't even know exists-
There are only 2 first class configurations, the "old" one, and the "New" one. New one just came out, that's the one with the floor to ceiling doors, much more spacious and private. I won't get that, but I will get the old one , which as far as i can tell looks exactly like the a380 first class?
Business class, I'm most likely getting the angled seats
So i can expect http://milestomemories.img.boardinga...3/IMG_8531.jpg in first class
https://i1.wp.com/thepointsguy.com/w...2C2048px&ssl=1 in business

skywardhunter Jan 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by dan88 (Post 29309934)
I know you don't realize it, and thanks for your informed reply, but half of that was like another language to me.
So, if I can just confirm because I dont want to end up on some realllllly old 777 with an angled in first that I don't even know exists-
There are only 2 first class configurations, the "old" one, and the "New" one. New one just came out, that's the one with the floor to ceiling doors, much more spacious and private. I won't get that, but I will get the old one , which as far as i can tell looks exactly like the a380 first class?
Business class, I'm most likely getting the angled seats
So i can expect http://milestomemories.img.boardinga...3/IMG_8531.jpg in first class
https://i1.wp.com/thepointsguy.com/w...2C2048px&ssl=1 in business

Exactly, though there are slight variations amongst the different generation business configurations in terms of IFE mostly, the newer ones are nicer, but you won't be able to tell if you're getting one of those with more or less likelihood. Also the angle is very subtle in business, since the plane flies at about 5 degrees nose-up attitude. F is fully flat on every single 777 Emirates fly.

ft101 Jan 19, 2018 6:05 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29309950)
F is fully flat on every single 777 Emirates fly.

Except for the lasst few B777-300 (non ERs) which still have the old Skycruiser seats. Relax OP, they won't be on your route.

skywardhunter Jan 19, 2018 6:07 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 29312162)
Except for the lasst few B777-300 (non ERs) which still have the old Skycruiser seats. Relax OP, they won't be on your route.

Thought those were all either in storage or sold/decommissioned.

ft101 Jan 19, 2018 6:30 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29312168)
Thought those were all either in storage or sold/decommissioned.

Still three of them flying regularly according to The EK Source, and probably some in storage going by the airframes thread.

thijsseh Jan 19, 2018 7:32 am

Which registrations are those?

ft101 Jan 19, 2018 8:05 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh (Post 29312466)
Which registrations are those?

A6-EMQ, EMR and EMT.

thijsseh Jan 19, 2018 8:33 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 29312587)
A6-EMQ, EMR and EMT.

Thanks.
Yes I see they are used to Abuja, a few Indian subcontinent and Middle East destinations.
12F/42J/310Y configuration.
Learned something new!

XXTSGR Jan 19, 2018 9:11 am

I still remember the Skycruiser seat being rolled out, and everyone thought these were the bee's knees...

Not just the seats getting old, I guess :D