FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   New A380 Order Confirmed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1889056-new-a380-order-confirmed.html)

DYKWIA Jan 18, 2018 3:17 am

New A380 Order Confirmed

Emirates signs agreement for up to 36 additional A380s

:)

skywardhunter Jan 18, 2018 3:23 am

No neo!? Surprised to see EK cave

DYKWIA Jan 18, 2018 3:48 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29307448)
No neo!? Surprised to see EK cave

They are probably getting them very cheap... :)

thijsseh Jan 18, 2018 4:48 am

Wonder how many old 3 class frames will be replaced with new 2 class frames. Remixing in a more aggressive way than by just adding new ones?
And what is going to happen to ‘old’ replaced frames? The first ones are from 2008, so they still have quite a bit of life in them for some airlines.

Finally, what percentage of the new ones will be built in China?

NOIR Jan 18, 2018 4:57 am

I wonder if these will be the plus versions with the sharklets?

thijsseh Jan 18, 2018 5:54 am

Originally Posted by NOIR (Post 29307610)
I wonder if these will be the plus versions with the sharklets?

No, appearently the ‘normal’ version. Hence skywardshunter’s remark about EK caving. They apparently said they would only buy A380 plus or neo.

skywardhunter Jan 18, 2018 6:03 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh (Post 29307719)

No, appearently the ‘normal’ version. Hence skywardshunter’s remark about EK caving. They apparently said they would only buy A380 plus or neo.

The article makes no mention of neo or plus, if it was neo I'm sure it'd have been mentioned, if it's plus I'm not sure, so it might be. Isn't plus a general upgrade or is Airbus still building non-plus A380s?

marconess Jan 18, 2018 6:03 am

Must be getting them very cheap I suspect. Makes Airbus look like there is still a need for the 380 (could argue there isnt at the moment).

DYKWIA Jan 18, 2018 6:13 am

Originally Posted by marconess (Post 29307743)
Must be getting them very cheap I suspect. Makes Airbus look like there is still a need for the 380 (could argue there isnt at the moment).

The market has grown a lot in the time the A380 has been available, and yet they've struggled to sell any. I really don't see there being many more orders - none of the US carriers have bought it, and the likes of LH/BA/AF probably have what they need. Maybe a few more to QR?

NOIR Jan 18, 2018 6:21 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29307742)
The article makes no mention of neo or plus, if it was neo I'm sure it'd have been mentioned, if it's plus I'm not sure, so it might be. Isn't plus a general upgrade or is Airbus still building non-plus A380s?

Nothing special regarding the plus except the addition to add sharklets, and taking out the rear stair case to add more seats/11 abreast in Y.

I can see EK staying with their existing interior, but requesting the sharklet. I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to add the sharklet on existing A380's.

I can also see RR being the engine choice just to keep hope of an NEO version in the future.

thijsseh Jan 18, 2018 6:37 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 29307770)
The market has grown a lot in the time the A380 has been available, and yet they've struggled to sell any. I really don't see there being many more orders - none of the US carriers have bought it, and the likes of LH/BA/AF probably have what they need. Maybe a few more to QR?

I agree with this. On a personal level I am quite pleased as I like the A380 (ugly as it is in my view).
But carrying on with it seems a bit like flogging a dead horse from a commercial point of view. I was expecting A350 orders since I woud suspect EK does not want to be held to ransom by Boeing (and the US) by moving to a Boeing only fleet.

DYKWIA Jan 18, 2018 7:36 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh (Post 29307842)
On a personal level I am quite pleased as I like the A380 (ugly as it is in my view).

Yeah - I need that bar!!!

Flame3601 Jan 18, 2018 8:02 am

Buy one get one free hehe ?

thunderlounge Jan 18, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by marconess (Post 29307743)

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 29307770)

I was reading something yesterday (cannot remember where specifically at the moment) but it discussed these points and took it a bit further.

A summary of the article was effectively that Airbus would end the A380 program if the deal with EK wasn't made. It went on to say that while Airbus still believed in the frame, it was difficult to maintain the program which they admitted may be ahead of its time. It continued on to discuss the merits of high capacity aircraft and that as the worlds population grows, so does the need for people to get from place to place. Then it remarked that as the passenger counts grow, the facilities/locations are much slower to expand with them. Not to mention that there is only so much sky to go around. Thus their belief that high capacity aircraft is, or will (eventually) become, a much needed option.

I guess where it goes south is that time (for the most part) doesn't seem to be here, or near as drastic as they believe.

I like the plane myself. One of those ugly duckling type of deals that actually kind of grows on you. Whether there really is as much need for it as Airbus wants to believe I cannot say. It seems there is certainly some value in it, else they would never have sold any planes. That demand being enough to keep the program up and running, and make it worthwhile is an entirely different matter all together.

It was an interesting read to say the least. Certainly some food for thought.

robcheshire Jan 18, 2018 12:20 pm

The stability of the ride on the A380 is spectacular. It seems to be oblivious to all but the very worst of weather.

On the other hand, waiting for your bags to hit the belt among 500+ other passengers is not much fun...!