Search

Not much on here about LGW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, OneWorld (BA) Emerald
Not much on here about LGW

I am off to Singapore on BH Monday, so next Monday in F,

I cant seem to see much on there about departing from LGW. Anyone have any pictures or info about F lounge, or biz lounge? Flying on the 380 at 14:30
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Lgw is great.

Own chauffeur drive area for Emirates, dedicated security and a nice business / first class lounge (its shared).

The walk to the plane is miles

Aside from that it's a better experience than LHR in my view. I'm flying out of there in August.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: EK Silver, BA Blue, MH Blue
No pictures, but it is the same as most other (all?) EK outstation lounges, a shared F/J lounge with the same design scheme of brown/tan sofas, self-pour drinks, and decent hot/cold offerings. It's on a lower level, so not much in terms of views.

I suppose the main thing to be aware of is that it is a bit of a trek to the A380 gate, which is on the satellite pier, over the big bridge at LGW. Once upon a time it was relatively near the widebody gates for 777 operations, but no longer the case with the all-A380 services (until a 777 returns for the new fourth daily later in the year).
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: EK Plat
Quite a coincidence. I have just arrived this afternoon at LGW for,the first time. I was first off the plane, walked briskly, no queue at immigration and arrived at baggage reclaim to see my bag! So speedy. The lady controller for the Chaffeur service is also delightful. Very slick. Also worth noting there is a dedicated baggage reclaim belt just for J and F. Hopefully my return when I depart from LGW will be just as impressive! Could be a whole new world!!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I prefer the LGW lounge over the LHR lounge. The lounge staff are great as well.

Only issue is the long trek to the A380.

The lounge is like a big rectangular donut if you know what I mean.

You can walk from one end and reach the same place that you started.

Toilets were better maintained than the ones at LHR

Plenty of space usually but not sure how it will be once the number of flights increase .

Self serve for alcohol/drinks/snacks and there are 2 sections for the same. (2nd one is smaller)

NB: Haven't been to the lounge for 4 months so not sure if things have changed since then .

Last edited by ukdoctor; Apr 26, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:33 pm

What do you need to know about LGW?

On arrival the dedicated EK Chauffeur Drive area drops you right at the door to check-in - there is usually an EK porter there to take your bags right to the desk.

imho the only negatives are sometimes a long queue at Premium Security (but you can go to normal security which is fine) and the walk from the lounge to the gate (unavoidable). That said, in lieu of direct lounge boarding access, EK operate a separate boarding area for J/F/Status so there isn't a massive boarding scrum.

The lounge is standard EK new style outstation and massive. It is probably the best lounge at LGW from all carriers - catering is superior to LHR, I think.

On return there is not only a dedicated J/F drop, if you are held up at immigration by the queues (it was awful earlier this year but now they have installed 12 new style e-gates so should be slightly faster), then EK baggage handlers will pull all J/F tagged bags of the belt and have them placed between the belts for pick up.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, OneWorld (BA) Emerald
Many thanks all,

Really looking forward to Monday
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:16 am

I would take LGW over LHR any day.

The lounge is excellent, uncrowded, food and drinks options good and nice selection of magazines.

10 min walk to the 380 gate is a pain but if you leave the lounge on the final call you can walk straight on.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: NZ - Elite, QF - Gold, Flying Blue - Petroleum Club, SIA - Solitaire PPS, EY- Gold Elite, EK- Gold
Is there an arrivals lounge in Gatwick for Emirates Business passengers?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:31 am

Found a short movie on Youtube for you about the Gatwick lounge, it is a few years old.

Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by mattyroo
Is there an arrivals lounge in Gatwick for Emirates Business passengers?
EK does not have arrivals lounges anywhere on the network.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by iRobert
Found a short movie on Youtube for you about the Gatwick lounge, it is a few years old.

https://youtu.be/mpXwPazG4BM
The lounge has been renovated since then to reflect the new EK outstation lounge styling, but the space size is generally the same - more proper tables to eat from instead of people eating buffet items in armchairs and on coffee tables as well as solo space near the buffet.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:59 am

Thanks all for the information. Originally I was a bit miffed when our TA opted for ex LGW rather than ex LHR for our trip to South Africa in August, but over time I found out;

1. We're on a 380,
2. As there are four of us travelling together in J the CDC company is happy to go over the 70 mile limit to pick us up / return us home,
3. There's the dedicated CDC drop off (not VS DTCI, but close enough...)

and now positive reviews of the lounge. All that remains is the look on on our offsprings' faces when they realise we're travelling J class.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Skywards silver
Is the 10 minute walk from the lounge to the gate at LGW mentioned in this thread still the case nowadays? Or has the gate been changed in the last year and a bit? Thinking to use LGW over LHR for our next london departure, due to saver availability at LGW.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls
Is the 10 minute walk from the lounge to the gate at LGW mentioned in this thread still the case nowadays? Or has the gate been changed in the last year and a bit? Thinking to use LGW over LHR for our next london departure, due to saver availability at LGW.
The walk to the gate is hardly onorous - I would take LGW over LHR every time ; there is a limited number of gates that can handle A380s istr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.