Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

LAX-DXB - buyup offer is for $900 one way to upgrade to J. Good deal?

Old Jan 10, 18, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

asking for a friend. The coach ticket was around $800
Old Jan 10, 18, 5:31 pm

It's a very long flight ,and a great difference in comfort with a great carrier so comparatively yes it's a good deal.
Old Jan 10, 18, 6:33 pm

Programs: Skywards
Its around 450 from the UK to Dubai which is a 7 hour flight. Its around 800 from DXB to Auckland which is a 16 hour flight. I'd say its a good deal.
Old Jan 10, 18, 8:12 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by caseminole View Post
asking for a friend. The coach ticket was around $800
It's a pretty average amount they send by email for USA-DXB (assuming it's the email one; I usually get $1000). For 16 hours it may well be worth it when you factor in flat bed/better drinks/onboard bar, but remember that these offers do not include lounge access or chauffeur drive service. If the ticket was $800 roundtrip then think about it as paying $2600 roundtrip in J which is not a bad deal at all; especially when I think of Y tickets in December that go for $2000. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to individual finances and how much your friend values the added comfort.
Old Jan 10, 18, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only person who can really tell if it is a good deal is the passenger

Many people would class $900 extra for a flight as not worth it at all

If the airline had been offering business vlass for that flight at time of purchase, would the person have paid it or still booked economy class?
Old Jan 11, 18, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The only person who can really tell if it is a good deal is the passenger

Many people would class $900 extra for a flight as not worth it at all

If the airline had been offering business vlass for that flight at time of purchase, would the person have paid it or still booked economy class?
If there is no context of the offer for the passenger then they cannot make an informed decision, so asking others is helpful. I used to take up these offers all the time when I flew on savers, MAN-DXB as a rough example it would be 380 quid for the ticket then 900 for the email offer, (450 each way) making it cost effective.
Old Jan 11, 18, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by kq747 View Post
It's a pretty average amount they send by email for USA-DXB (assuming it's the email one; I usually get $1000). For 16 hours it may well be worth it when you factor in flat bed/better drinks/onboard bar, but remember that these offers do not include lounge access or chauffeur drive service. If the ticket was $800 roundtrip then think about it as paying $2600 roundtrip in J which is not a bad deal at all; especially when I think of Y tickets in December that go for $2000. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to individual finances and how much your friend values the added comfort.
No lounge access?!

I understand not offering chauffeur, but lounge access seems tight. What's the deal with miles? Do you get J or Y miles earned?
Old Jan 11, 18, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Will08 View Post
If there is no context of the offer for the passenger then they cannot make an informed decision, so asking others is helpful. I used to take up these offers all the time when I flew on savers, MAN-DXB as a rough example it would be 380 quid for the ticket then 900 for the email offer, (450 each way) making it cost effective.
There is no context provided, such as what the price would have been at time of purchase, whether the person would have purchased at that cost etc

If it was with a $800 fare , then the one way fare is increasing 3.25 times from $400 to $1300. In the end, the only thing that matters is whether someone feels it is worth paying that multiple of the fare for the additional comfort.

Also , of course, no chauffeur service, lounge access or additional luggage allowance iirc

Looking at published fares it seems to be a lot cheaper than it would have been to book business class at the time. Looking on EF, looks like lowest fares are around $5475 r/t , so $2735.5 o/w

$1300 is a lot lower, so seems good value for a business class ticket ---- in the end, only the passenger can decde whether it is worthwhile for the passenger

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 11, 18 at 5:50 am
Old Jan 11, 18, 5:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Recondite View Post
No lounge access?!

I understand not offering chauffeur, but lounge access seems tight. What's the deal with miles? Do you get J or Y miles earned?
Y miles. It's all very explicitly states in the e-mail offer. You're only buying the better seat onboard, your original fare prevails in all other aspects. If you want CD, lounge and miles you pay the fare difference.
Old Jan 11, 18, 6:22 am

There is no context provided, such as what the price would have been at time of purchase, whether the person would have purchased at that cost etc

If it was with a $800 fare , then the one way fare is increasing 3.25 times from $400 to $1300. In the end, the only thing that matters is whether someone feels it is worth paying that multiple of the fare for the additional comfort.

Also , of course, no chauffeur service, lounge access or additional luggage allowance iirc

Looking at published fares it seems to be a lot cheaper than it would have been to book business class at the time. Looking on EF, looks like lowest fares are around $5475 r/t , so $2735.5 o/w

$1300 is a lot lower, so seems good value for a business class ticket ---- in the end, only the passenger can decde whether it is worthwhile for the passenger
I get your point but all the information you have alluded to will be in the email offer, no CD, lounge etc.. By context I was referring to the OP/OPs friend not knowing if it is a good deal or not as it isn't comparable to a normal Business class ticket. Knowing the going rate for such offers on alternative routes helps build a picture. If I know it'd cost me 800 to go DXB-AKL I would be more inclined to pay 900 dollars for this offer.
Old Jan 11, 18, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Y miles. It's all very explicitly states in the e-mail offer. You're only buying the better seat onboard, your original fare prevails in all other aspects. If you want CD, lounge and miles you pay the fare difference.
I'm not disputing whether they tell people or not; my miles have all been on EY, so I'm unsure on how EK works.

(Not to say Etihad gives all of the above; I've not plunged for it before).
Old Jan 11, 18, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Will08 View Post
I get your point but all the information you have alluded to will be in the email offer, no CD, lounge etc.. By context I was referring to the OP/OPs friend not knowing if it is a good deal or not as it isn't comparable to a normal Business class ticket. Knowing the going rate for such offers on alternative routes helps build a picture. If I know it'd cost me 800 to go DXB-AKL I would be more inclined to pay 900 dollars for this offer.
Conextually it is a good deal if the person thinks it is a good deal. If someone is flying LAX-DXB, does it matter what AKL-DXB would go for since that is not what they are doing

A good deal really comes down to disposable income available and to take $900 per person out of that amount or use it for something else ( perhaps in Dubai )

For some it would be a minor cost and comfort well worth it; for someone else they may think that $900 is better saved for paying other trip expenses

I would say it is a good deal for anyone that would have been prepared to pay $3000 return for a business class ticket if it had been available and not to someone that wouldn't have been prepared to spend $2000 on it

I would say that it is a good price for a business class trip
Old Jan 11, 18, 5:38 pm

Conextually it is a good deal if the person thinks it is a good deal. If someone is flying LAX-DXB, does it matter what AKL-DXB would go for since that is not what they are doing

A good deal really comes down to disposable income available and to take $900 per person out of that amount or use it for something else ( perhaps in Dubai )

For some it would be a minor cost and comfort well worth it; for someone else they may think that $900 is better saved for paying other trip expenses

I would say it is a good deal for anyone that would have been prepared to pay $3000 return for a business class ticket if it had been available and not to someone that wouldn't have been prepared to spend $2000 on it

I would say that it is a good price for a business class trip

We are digressing from the OPs question here but I disagree. A good deal is a good deal regardless of disposable income. Whether or not you can afford to take it is a different matter. If the passenger couldn't afford it or would rather spend the cash on other expenses then the OP would have had no reason to ask the question in the first place.

I guess I use flight times to rationalise what I deem to be a good deal hence the comparable flight time of DXB-AKL. I am not au fait with american flights but I am assuming it'll be an a380? I'd still pay that amount for a 777 for that kind of flight duration however for some aircraft type might have a bearing on their decision.
Old Jan 12, 18, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Did this two weeks ago to upgrade DXB-AKL and having just returned in economy, the extra for the outward journey in business was definitely worth it for me - proper sleep, less people, not clambering over others to get out and stretch your legs or go to the bathroom!
Old Jan 12, 18, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rufin View Post
Did this two weeks ago to upgrade DXB-AKL and having just returned in economy, the extra for the outward journey in business was definitely worth it for me - proper sleep, less people, not clambering over others to get out and stretch your legs or go to the bathroom!
I would have done the same but I never seem to get the offers any more. A friend of mine gambled, she is silver and was on a flex plus ticket, flying new years eve, got upgraded at the gate the jammy sod!