777 New F - trip report

Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Lkaroo
3 booked but I think it ended up being 4 as one passenger upgraded onboard with miles but chose a suite on the other side of the cabin.
i understand they are really restricting z class so maybe onboard is the only way...
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Lkaroo

Good
TR. Pls write more often.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:49 am

Nice to read your contrarian (and fun) trip report.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Excellent, balanced review, and an ‘easy-to-digest’ writing style. Thanks Lkaroo

It comes across as an undoubtedly high quality product - yet, not so much above the standard of current EK F class that I feel the same keen urge to experience it, as was the case several years ago with the A380 soon after launch. And I think for anything over 8 hours or so, I would still value the shower facility very highly in a straight choice between the two.

(bet you were brought down to earth very quickly on that BA Club Europe sector ! )
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:50 am

Loved reading this. I am tired of reading the syrupy sweet stuff that many professional bloggers write.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by subject2load
Excellent, balanced review, and an ‘easy-to-digest’ writing style. Thanks Lkaroo

It comes across as an undoubtedly high quality product - yet, not so much above the standard of current EK F class that I feel the same keen urge to experience it, as was the case several years ago with the A380 soon after launch. And I think for anything over 8 hours or so, I would still value the shower facility very highly in a straight choice between the two.

(bet you were brought down to earth very quickly on that BA Club Europe sector ! )
Shower ? According to EK inflight magazine, all 300ER have a shower ! :-)
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:34 pm

I would certainly fact check anything the magazine says - they confused Bangkok with Johannesburg last year.

Great report - as an aside about the crew rostered for the new planes, as a minimum one of the F crew will have specific training for the new product (and unfortunately for them they can’t swap out easily!) and EK will I expect be taking an interest in who is up for training!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat
Originally Posted by subject2load

Thanks. Your summary reflects exactly how I feel about the new product.

When bloggers and influencers write things like holy frigging cr@p, omfg, and see how many times they can use the word gorgeous to describe the new product, I do not think that their reality is the same as the majority of travellers in J and F.

I have never felt the need for additional privacy in EK F which is something that was touted by the TPG review (and no doubt will be by OMAAT too). If anything, I found it a little creepy when the crew were trying to peer through the various gaps to check if I needed anything (not a reflection of the crew themselves).

Of course, it was a very enjoyable flight and I am glad I tried it out. One thing which I meant to check out which I forgot to was to see if the new J seats really are fully lie flat. As a side sleeper, I find the old 777 J to be extremely uncomfortable (or perhaps just use this as an excuse to upgrade to F...).

And yes, the sheer opulence of BA Club Europe was certainly a dose of cold hard reality.
thijsseh and eminere like this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:50 am

Thanks. Your summary reflects exactly how I feel about the new product.

When bloggers and influencers write things like holy frigging cr@p, omfg, and see how many times they can use the word gorgeous to describe the new product, I do not think that their reality is the same as the majority of travellers in J and F.

I have never felt the need for additional privacy in EK F which is something that was touted by the TPG review (and no doubt will be by OMAAT too). If anything, I found it a little creepy when the crew were trying to peer through the various gaps to check if I needed anything (not a reflection of the crew themselves).

Of course, it was a very enjoyable flight and I am glad I tried it out. One thing which I meant to check out which I forgot to was to see if the new J seats really are fully lie flat. As a side sleeper, I find the old 777 J to be extremely uncomfortable (or perhaps just use this as an excuse to upgrade to F...).

And yes, the sheer opulence of BA Club Europe was certainly a dose of cold hard reality.

Great review. I wonder whether EK invited some of their top tier F flyers to test the product ahead of adopting it or was is a closed door production? It seems some of the points you made (esp the bed positioning) could have been identified and rectified during development.

On a side note relating to privacy, the camera used for speaking with the crew, does it have any indication of it switched on? Maybe the crew could peak into all suites from their panel without having to walk through the cabin? From a service standpoint that would be great depending on the angle/view it affords (e.g. they could know when you've finished your appetiser or running low on water...)

Last edited by edy4eva; Jan 9, 2018 at 5:55 am
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Great review. I wonder whether EK invited some of their top tier F flyers to test the product ahead of adopting it or was is a closed door production? It seems some of the points you made (esp the bed positioning) could have been identified and rectified during development.

On a side note relating to privacy, the camera used for speaking with the crew, does it have any indication of it switched on? Maybe the crew could peak into all suites from their panel without having to walk through the cabin? From a service standpoint that would be great depending on the angle/view it affords (e.g. they could know when you've finished your appetiser or running low on water...)
they didn’t ask anyone
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: Skywards
Great review, loved it! Normally tend to avoid reading these, however, the banter kept me going!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:11 am

your dry humour is on point! awesome review.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat
Second time in the new F on HND-DXB thanks to an op-up last week. Would have upgraded anyway so it was a bonus... Some further thoughts:

1) The virtual windows were glitchy, quite often going black. On this route, I usually try and use sunlight to wake up before landing. The virtual windows are obviously nowhere near as bright nor do they provide natural light, and so, given the choice, I would likely choose a window seat in the future.
2) The bedding and mattress are really very comfortable but I found it annoying as a side sleeper that the seat does not go fully flat. Felt a bit like a of a backwards step from the existing product especially given the new 777 J is fully flat.
3) The suite doors really are hard to open. The passenger in the suite opposite me got stuck and the crew struggled to open the door from the outside. I was hoping the gentleman would have to try and escape through the service window. I was dissapointed when his door was finally opened. It was certainly more entertaining than anything on ICE.
4) Speaking of which, the service window is completely pointless and...
5) None of the crew appeared to have any training on the new product. I'd flown with one of the crew several times before and she has always been fairly reserved. On this flight, she seemed positively terrified especially during the passenger incident in (3) above.
6) An elderly Japanese couple were on their 50th anniversary trip and were rather bemused that they were unable to sit next to each other. As I understand it, there has been no advertisement of the new F product in Japan so this was completely unexpected.
7) Finally, depending on your mood lighting choice, your suite can be made to look like a love hotel. Allegedly.

I remain of the view that the new F product is very good. However, I think certain aspects are not particularly well thought out. Is it really a game changer? I'm not convinced whether it is significantly better than 'standard' EK first.

DYKWIA, Silverswimmer and XXTSGR like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I remain of the view that the new F product is very good. However, I think certain aspects are not particularly well thought out. Is it really a game changer? I'm not convinced whether it is significantly better than 'standard' EK first.
Yep - it's not something I'm going to go out of my way to try.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yep - it's not something I'm going to go out of my way to try.
it looks very nice for solo business trips but hardly ideal for traveling as a couple

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.