Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:38 am

I did huca. New agent was able to uncheckin me. My pre check showed up as well. I'd attribute to wrong issue and exp date but then my prior flight on UA had no issues
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: IB Plat - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold - IHG Ambassador
First Class upgrade using miles or at airport

Hello. Newbie question: I have a paid business class ticket and would like to upgrade to first. My options are 1) using miles. Buy 60.000. However, calling Emirates, they say there is no space for upgrade using miles. Expertflyer still shows several available seats in first class for Nov 8th flight. 2) Paying at airport if they still offer this possibliity.
Does anyone know
1) When will I be able to see first class availability (I think it is Z class for upgrades to first)? How many days before the flight?
2) What is best...if buying 60.000 miles in the web page or waiting for the check in and asking there.
3) Any other suggested strategy?

Thank you!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:07 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by chejus
Hello. Newbie question: I have a paid business class ticket and would like to upgrade to first. My options are 1) using miles. Buy 60.000. However, calling Emirates, they say there is no space for upgrade using miles. Expertflyer still shows several available seats in first class for Nov 8th flight. 2) Paying at airport if they still offer this possibliity.
Does anyone know
1) When will I be able to see first class availability (I think it is Z class for upgrades to first)? How many days before the flight?
2) What is best...if buying 60.000 miles in the web page or waiting for the check in and asking there.
3) Any other suggested strategy?

Thank you!
Hi chejus

​​​​​​​
Have you asked how much it is to up-fare with cash? I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and to buy the miles required cost more than the cash difference.

My advice would be to call EK and ask before shelling out for miles that you may not be able to use.

​​​​​​​S
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Just to add... you can upgrade at the airport with miles if there are seats available. If you are EK Silver or above, you can also upgrade onboard.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:49 pm

Upgrade to First from Business with cash is USD 11,343.- not wrong, that is the fare, crazy IMHO.
Buying 60.000 miles is much less. I believe it costs around USD 1200-1500. I have just enrolled into Skywards, so I currently have zero miles. I will only buy if after calling they indicate there are seats available.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:50 pm

that is an alternative, the issue is....maybe at the airport they say "in order to upgrade you must pay USD 10.000" and then I wont have a chance, so I would like to be able to secure the upgrade before the check in date.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by chejus
that is an alternative, the issue is....maybe at the airport they say "in order to upgrade you must pay USD 10.000" and then I wont have a chance, so I would like to be able to secure the upgrade before the check in date.
The problem is that there may not be any upgrades available prior to check-in. EK gamble that there may be some last minute bookings, so leave the seats open until as late as possible. Your only option may be to upgrade using points at the airport - and that's a big risk as there may not be any seats available at that time. Even then, you may only get your upgrade at the last minute (during boarding).
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:23 pm

There used to be a 25,000 mile annual limit on purchasing miles. Check whether that's still true.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by ft101
There used to be a 25,000 mile annual limit on purchasing miles. Check whether that's still true.
Its 100000 miles per year now..I think you can also gift another skywards member upto 100000 miles per year.

I am not sure if both can be done onto one account i.e buy 100000 miles and also get a friend /family to gift 100000 miles ?

​​​​​​There is always the option of purchasing starpoints and then transferring to skywards.. This can be sometimes cheaper than skywards miles when they have an offer ( if you include the bonus )
​​​​​​Even better was when the UK MBNA amex card was around . I used to get skywards miles via Amex MBNA for purchasing spg which then got conberted to skywards miles .:-)

However it might take a few days to credit..
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:36 pm

Stopovers and travel ideas

First post on FlyerTalk:
We are planning a trip from Canada - Dubai - Singapore - NZ - Australia in November 2019. We'd like to fly Business Class A380 for Toronto-Dubai-Singapore-Auckland and Sydney-Dallas (or LA)

- We'd like to stopover in Dubai and Singapore for 1/1.5/2 days each
- Should we book directly with Emirates, Qantas, etc. for each of their legs?
- When is the earliest that we'll be able to book flights?
- We will be going to Great Barrier Reef, Melbourne & Tasmania as well.
- Where do we post for recommendations for ideas/hotels/activities in the various destinations?
- Anything that I should ask or prioritize in planning?

Appreciate your responses.
Tony
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by tcarlson
First post on FlyerTalk:
We are planning a trip from Canada - Dubai - Singapore - NZ - Australia in November 2019. We'd like to fly Business Class A380 for Toronto-Dubai-Singapore-Auckland and Sydney-Dallas (or LA)

- We'd like to stopover in Dubai and Singapore for 1/1.5/2 days each
- We will be going to Great Barrier Reef, Melbourne & Tasmania as well.
- Where do we post for recommendations for ideas/hotels/activities in the various destinations?
- Anything that I should ask or prioritize in planning?

Appreciate your responses.
Tony

Book it on the EK website. Use the multi-city function and it should all price up

It's normally just under a year in advance. So, should be December.

There are separate forums for each region. See here :-

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/destinations-704/
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: *A FT, EK Silver
Hi, this is my first post here on Flyer Talk

I will be flying soon on route BUD-DXB-HKT in Y . This will be my first flight with EK and surprisingly I was able to get status match from my *A Frequent Traveller status to Skywards Silver.
I would like to know to which extend do Skywards Silver benefits apply to my travel companion (wife, she has no status with EK) travelling under same reservation number. May she use priority boarding with me?
Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by enero
Hi, this is my first post here on Flyer Talk

I will be flying soon on route BUD-DXB-HKT in Y . This will be my first flight with EK and surprisingly I was able to get status match from my *A Frequent Traveller status to Skywards Silver.
I would like to know to which extend do Skywards Silver benefits apply to my travel companion (wife, she has no status with EK) travelling under same reservation number. May she use priority boarding with me?
Thanks
Welcome! Hope to see you around more frequently.

This is a tricky question as there is no official answer and strict interpretation would be no, priority check-in I would say is ok but for boarding it's not so easy and I'd maybe hold off.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: *A FT, EK Silver
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Welcome! Hope to see you around more frequently.

This is a tricky question as there is no official answer and strict interpretation would be no, priority check-in I would say is ok but for boarding it's not so easy and I'd maybe hold off.
Thanks for reply!
Maybe worth asking the attendant at boarding gate... I'll give it a try
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Any guesses why EK has changed one DUS rotation from the A380 to B777? It's a destination where Emirates can easily send one of their many Airbusses to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.