Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:49 am

Random question, does anyone know how the seating algorithm works for Emirates?

Last time I flew Emirates I booked about 4 months in advance and ended up in a window seat on every leg automatically. I was too cheap to pay to pick my seat but had been checking seat availability in the run up to check in opening. When I checked in online at 48 hours it seemed like all the passengers had suddenly been pre-allocated seats and there were only a few to choose from if you wanted to change seats as the flights were mostly full.

Does it try to put solo travelers in certain seats and then groups of 2/3/4 in particular seats (i.e. groups of 4 in the middle blocks?) Or is it just based on when you bought your ticket?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ManiaMuse
Random question, does anyone know how the seating algorithm works for Emirates?

Last time I flew Emirates I booked about 4 months in advance and ended up in a window seat on every leg automatically. I was too cheap to pay to pick my seat but had been checking seat availability in the run up to check in opening. When I checked in online at 48 hours it seemed like all the passengers had suddenly been pre-allocated seats and there were only a few to choose from if you wanted to change seats as the flights were mostly full.

Does it try to put solo travelers in certain seats and then groups of 2/3/4 in particular seats (i.e. groups of 4 in the middle blocks?) Or is it just based on when you bought your ticket?
EK appears to do a shadow check-in shortly before OLCI opens where most (not sure if all) pax get assigned seats, it appears to be front to back, probably based on surname in alphabetical order (that's the sequence that sequence numbers appear to follow, unless manually rebooked or offloaded during OLCI window). As for you being in Windows, that's probably what's in your Skywards preferences
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex
Originally Posted by thijsseh
The MCT for this case is 55 minutes, so theoretically you are fine.

The on time record of EK348 is 81% with an average delay of 14 minutes (this is over the last 60 days), a maximum of 70 minutes delay.

But the on time record (for arrival in MEL, mind you) is 23%, average 37 minutes late (3hrs 16 minutes max). So statistically speaking, the outgoing A/C will be later than the incoming one. That does not automatically mean that you will not be offloaded if the incoming flights is delayed. Computers can do very illogical things if not all possible snags have been programmed in.... And of course if the incoming flight is delayed and the outgoing is one of the few on-time ones, you are stuck.
On Sun, Mon, Thu and Fri there is a QF flight an hour after the EK flight, which they might put you on. It's a 2 class service, so no F (if that is what you are flying)

Now you have the data. And you can decide. Let us know what you do and - if you go ahead with this - what the outcome is. Always interesting to hear the full story!
So the whole thing turned out pretty smooth. CMB-SIN departure was a few minutes late, but landed in SIN about 10 minutes before scheduled. Was ready to make a run for it, and just as we got out of the plane, there was a ground staff calling out the passengers on the EK flight to MEL. This flight was boarding at a gate not more than 50mts away from where we deplaned. So the connection was super easy. We even had time to stretch out, walk around a but and then enter the gate, where the wife and me got upgraded to J from Y. The flight was heavily over-booked and at least 10-12 people were upgraded. There was even a family of 4 in J, turning down an upgrade to F because they couldn't sit together.

Smooth and comfortable flight. It's a shame they are stopping the CMB-SIN route. Wonder what they'll do to the EK lounge in CMB now that they are operating reduced flights.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:32 pm

So query about check-in/ bag drop timing

A search shows that counter check-in closes 90 minutes before the flight? Can anyone confirm this is the case and whether it is actually enforced that strictly. It seems quite long compared to other airlines which are typically 60mins at most.

Have a flight out of BKK coming up and trying to tie in when i need to leave the city.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by baggyred
So query about check-in/ bag drop timing

A search shows that counter check-in closes 90 minutes before the flight? Can anyone confirm this is the case and whether it is actually enforced that strictly. It seems quite long compared to other airlines which are typically 60mins at most.

Have a flight out of BKK coming up and trying to tie in when i need to leave the city.

​​​​​​Where do you see that? It's 60 minutes virtually everywhere
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
​​​​​​Where do you see that? It's 60 minutes virtually everywhere
https://www.emirates.com/au/english/...ou-fly/travel/
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:18 pm

Yeah they say that so that you don't miss the cut-off, the wording doesn't actually say check-in closes then.

I regularly arrive between 60-70 minutes before departure at various airports when flying EK
baggyred likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Yeah they say that so that you don't miss the cut-off, the wording doesn't actually say check-in closes then.

I regularly arrive between 60-70 minutes before departure at various airports when flying EK
Thanks - i'm not one to get to an airport early and chill
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:03 am

Sorry if this is obvious - but does anyone know how I can find which routes exclusively use the 777-200 (two class)?

Thank you!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:21 pm

When can i expect EK to post Nov menus?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:07 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by kaiotes
Usually, the new menus post exactly on the first of the month.
Recently it appears that on some routes there have been 'snags' and the menus have not been posted at all.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:23 am

I see a menu for 5th Nov though not sure if it's the correct one or just the one for this month provided as a guide
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:36 pm

yea i see it now. flying out tmw thus...
thanks for the replies
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:50 pm

I'm eligible for pre-check, i entered my KTN in the profile online prior to check-in but my boarding pass did not get the designation. When i called the 800 number they asked for detailed list of questions for the Precheck but could not uncheck me in due to airport control.

Anyway I can get a new boarding pass without needing to face an agent? I need to arrive at the airport prior to their desk opening.

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:54 am

Anyway I can get a new boarding pass without needing to face an agent? I need to arrive at the airport prior to their desk opening.
Do you mean the check in desk?

If there's a ticket desk, it shoud be open before the check in desks and they should be able to offload you and make the changes. I'm not sure if I've seen boarding pass printers there though. Is a mobile boarding pass an option if they don't?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.