Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74
This is a very murky area for me but EC261 compensation springs to mind. You are due to depart on an airline from the EU so should be covered. The fact that you have been given less than 14 days notice and are going to be delayed in arriving at your destination from what you originally booked in excess of whatever the ruling suggests should make EK liable for EC261 compensation payment (Euro 600 per pax). They will no doubt fight tooth and nail but according to a recent ruling, a delay in getting to final destination counts and not what the arrival time is in DXB.

Dare I say it.....Have a look on the BA forum. They have a substantial thread/s on EC261 claims. Will give you some ideas and guidance on how to take this forward through legal channels should EK play hardball.

S
That's all new to me and I certainly will look into it, thank you.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:57 am

I am flying Emirates EWR - ATH R/T in a couple of weeks. This is my first time flying EK. I booked a saver economy fare for me and my wife. I think I see a path to upgrading to business for the outbound leg, however I have some questions and would appreciate some insight.

I know that the 2-3-2 and the angled seats on the older 777s on this route are not the best biz class product in the world, but it's a special trip for my wife and the last significant vacation we will be taking for a while. So even if the redemption value is not optimal, I still want to see if I can get upgraded for the outbound flight.

As of today, ExpertFlyer shows that "Yes" there is Business Saver Award & Upgrade availability for my flight. However, as I understand it, with Saver awards, you cannot request the upgrade until check-in 48 hours beforehand.

According to the seatmap on ExpertFlyer, of the 42 seats in business, 18 are "occupied," 12 are "available," and 12 are "blocked." FWIW, the economy section of the plane looks to be only about 25% full currently

It is going to require 78,000 skywards miles total for these upgrades. In order to get that many miles, I need to move some points/miles around soon so that I am ready 48 hours beforehand. This would include a transfer of a number of Marriott points which in a test I did took about 6 days to post to my skywards account.

Obviously, I do not want to go through all of these transfers if it is unlikely I get the upgrade. Then, it seems I would be "stuck" with 78,000+ skywards miles that I don't have a lot of use for personally.

So given what I know today, 2 weeks out from the flight and 12 days out from check-in:
- What do you think is the likelihood that I will get the upgrades?
- Do I need to request the upgrades as soon as I'm allowed to check-in? IOW, does requesting 48 hours beforehand give me a leg up over someone who requests 24 hours beforehand? Or is it solely by status (I have none)?
- Say I do everything "right" (get enough miles in my account in time, request 48 hours beforehand, etc), but do not get the upgrades - what is the best non-EK redemption for skywards miles? JetBlue domestic one-ways?

Thank you for your consideration and please let me know of any other details I can provide.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by crafty1981
I am flying Emirates EWR - ATH R/T in a couple of weeks. This is my first time flying EK. I booked a saver economy fare for me and my wife. I think I see a path to upgrading to business for the outbound leg, however I have some questions and would appreciate some insight.

I know that the 2-3-2 and the angled seats on the older 777s on this route are not the best biz class product in the world, but it's a special trip for my wife and the last significant vacation we will be taking for a while. So even if the redemption value is not optimal, I still want to see if I can get upgraded for the outbound flight.

As of today, ExpertFlyer shows that "Yes" there is Business Saver Award & Upgrade availability for my flight. However, as I understand it, with Saver awards, you cannot request the upgrade until check-in 48 hours beforehand.

According to the seatmap on ExpertFlyer, of the 42 seats in business, 18 are "occupied," 12 are "available," and 12 are "blocked." FWIW, the economy section of the plane looks to be only about 25% full currently

It is going to require 78,000 skywards miles total for these upgrades. In order to get that many miles, I need to move some points/miles around soon so that I am ready 48 hours beforehand. This would include a transfer of a number of Marriott points which in a test I did took about 6 days to post to my skywards account.

Obviously, I do not want to go through all of these transfers if it is unlikely I get the upgrade. Then, it seems I would be "stuck" with 78,000+ skywards miles that I don't have a lot of use for personally.

So given what I know today, 2 weeks out from the flight and 12 days out from check-in:
- What do you think is the likelihood that I will get the upgrades?
- Do I need to request the upgrades as soon as I'm allowed to check-in? IOW, does requesting 48 hours beforehand give me a leg up over someone who requests 24 hours beforehand? Or is it solely by status (I have none)?
- Say I do everything "right" (get enough miles in my account in time, request 48 hours beforehand, etc), but do not get the upgrades - what is the best non-EK redemption for skywards miles? JetBlue domestic one-ways?

Thank you for your consideration and please let me know of any other details I can provide.
If you provide the date for the flight we can look at overall availability now using ExpertFlyer, but won't mean much until a few days before especially in J where a lot of last-minute changes can happen. However, if they are showing availability for Saver awards now, they don't think they'll sell the seats for cash.

As for the rest of your questions I have the same ones for a flight I have upcoming - I am only allowed to upgrade at "check-in" but I'm guessing that is defined as physically at the airport so that the flight controller can release the seats. If anyone else has info to the contrary i'd like to know. I never get to use OLCI (Online Check In) because I have a medical device I carry onboard.

I too am transferring (risking) about 75k Marriott points, so thanks for the update on how long it takes, I need to get on the transfer now.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
If you provide the date for the flight we can look at overall availability now using ExpertFlyer, but won't mean much until a few days before especially in J where a lot of last-minute changes can happen. However, if they are showing availability for Saver awards now, they don't think they'll sell the seats for cash.

As for the rest of your questions I have the same ones for a flight I have upcoming - I am only allowed to upgrade at "check-in" but I'm guessing that is defined as physically at the airport so that the flight controller can release the seats. If anyone else has info to the contrary i'd like to know. I never get to use OLCI (Online Check In) because I have a medical device I carry onboard.

I too am transferring (risking) about 75k Marriott points, so thanks for the update on how long it takes, I need to get on the transfer now.
Thanks for the reply and glad the timeline is helpful for Marriott. The date for my flight is 10/22. I looked up the availability on ExpertFlyer. It is: F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O7 P0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q9 L9 T9 V0 X0
Metanoia likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:36 pm

On a Saver Ticket you can upgrade when OLCI opens 48 hours before your flight. Even if you can't physically complete OLCI, this is still the optimum time to do the upgrade as if seats are available, others may grab them before you present yourself at the airport.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
On a Saver Ticket you can upgrade when OLCI opens 48 hours before your flight. Even if you can't physically complete OLCI, this is still the optimum time to do the upgrade as if seats are available, others may grab them before you present yourself at the airport.
So I'm guessing that what happens is the upgrade section of MMB then allows you to upgrade regardless of whether Z bucket is available? (this is a weird ticket, it's a downgrade compensation ticket marked as "NON-END/SAVER/ONLY CHK-IN REWARD UPGRADE" but books into J bucket with fare basis JRDBPDB1 so "Saver").

I might just "forget" to pre-notify them I'm bringing my medical device (CPAP) so I can use OLCI as usual, as it is never on the manifest and never on the tablets anyway. The check-in agents know and ask but nobody else ever does - I have an Emirates form that clears everything up with the purser/CSV.

After all is said and done I'll probably be writing a post with my experiences with this voucher, it's been interesting and no two EK agents say the same thing.

Last edited by Metanoia; Oct 8, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:19 pm

That's confusing. Upgrades from Business Class Saver (requires Fare Code Z availability as you say) do not usually have the 48 hour restriction, that's only from Economy Saver (to Business D fare). The wording in your fare rules says otherwise, so all bets are off.
Metanoia likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by crafty1981
Thanks for the reply and glad the timeline is helpful for Marriott. The date for my flight is 10/22. I looked up the availability on ExpertFlyer. It is: F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O7 P0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q9 L9 T9 V0 X0
​​​​​​
risky as others could snatch the seat, also are two saver awards available? If call eK and check what the cost to upfare to a Flex ticket is, you would need fewer miles to upgrade and can do it immediately. As to "requesting", with EK there's no waitlist. If you're eligible to upgrade (meet all conditions) and there's a seat, it is confirmed immediately
crafty1981 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:40 pm

That's confusing. Upgrades from Business Class Saver (requires Fare Code Z availability as you say) do not usually have the 48 hour restriction, that's only from Economy Saver (to Business D fare). The wording in your fare rules says otherwise, so all bets are off.
At least there is not currently any Z availability for someone to take from me, and it seems like EK only makes 1 seat available (if any at all) on LAX-DXB flights prior to the day of departure. I saw the seatmap populate with one seat and Z availability disappeared.

I gather from a lot of the posts here that sometimes First upgrades don't open up till literally minutes before flight time or even onboard, so at least I won't be competing with one hand tied behind my back.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:25 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
So I'm guessing that what happens is the upgrade section of MMB then allows you to upgrade regardless of whether Z bucket is available? (this is a weird ticket, it's a downgrade compensation ticket marked as "NON-END/SAVER/ONLY CHK-IN REWARD UPGRADE" but books into J bucket with fare basis JRDBPDB1 so "Saver").

I might just "forget" to pre-notify them I'm bringing my medical device (CPAP) so I can use OLCI as usual, as it is never on the manifest and never on the tablets anyway. The check-in agents know and ask but nobody else ever does - I have an Emirates form that clears everything up with the purser/CSV.

After all is said and done I'll probably be writing a post with my experiences with this voucher, it's been interesting and no two EK agents say the same thing.
This is indeed a 'strange' ticket. The text says 'SAVER',, but if the 'P' in the fare basis indeed indicates the fare bucket (not 100% sure about this), it is not a 'normal' saver as a J saver books into O, not P. "P" is actually the bucket from which the 'email special upgrade offers' come from. So as far as I am concerned, all bets are off with respect to upgrade potential.
As far as I understand, Z bucket applies to 'regular' upgrades, but certainly on-board upgrades just look at 'empty seats'. Where 'at checkin' or at 'OLCI' upgrades come from is a mystery to me. I look forward to hear how this plays out as it might give us a bit of understanding on how this all works!
Metanoia likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
This is indeed a 'strange' ticket. The text says 'SAVER',, but if the 'P' in the fare basis indeed indicates the fare bucket (not 100% sure about this), it is not a 'normal' saver as a J saver books into O, not P. "P" is actually the bucket from which the 'email special upgrade offers' come from. So as far as I am concerned, all bets are off with respect to upgrade potential.
As far as I understand, Z bucket applies to 'regular' upgrades, but certainly on-board upgrades just look at 'empty seats'. Where 'at checkin' or at 'OLCI' upgrades come from is a mystery to me. I look forward to hear how this plays out as it might give us a bit of understanding on how this all works!
As Metanoia mentioned this is an IDB compensation ticket, so certainly wouldn't expect it to behave too much like a regular revenue ticket. Once at the airport upgrades are based on space, i.e. not Z, at OLCI you still require Z
Metanoia likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
As Metanoia mentioned this is an IDB compensation ticket, so certainly wouldn't expect it to behave too much like a regular revenue ticket. Once at the airport upgrades are based on space, i.e. not Z, at OLCI you still require Z
I'll probably do as you did when trying to score the upgrade to FLL... make friends with the call centre agents.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
This is indeed a 'strange' ticket. The text says 'SAVER',, but if the 'P' in the fare basis indeed indicates the fare bucket (not 100% sure about this), it is not a 'normal' saver as a J saver books into O, not P. "P" is actually the bucket from which the 'email special upgrade offers' come from.
It doesn't help Metanoia but what you think is the fare basis isn't quite right. The 4th character from the right (in this case P) signifies the ticket type (F = Flex Plus / S = Flex / P = Saver / R = Special). The first character (in this case J) usually signifies the fare bucket, so should be "O" as you say, but this ticket is definitely different in make up from what we usually see.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:06 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
It doesn't help Metanoia but what you think is the fare basis isn't quite right. The 4th character from the right (in this case P) signifies the ticket type (F = Flex Plus / S = Flex / P = Saver / R = Special). The first character (in this case J) usually signifies the fare bucket, so should be "O" as you say, but this ticket is definitely different in make up from what we usually see.
Ah, thanks. That helps to increase my understanding of the fare basis!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:13 am

Flying first class hong kong to dubai. Will, I get amenity kits and sleepwear?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.