Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: points traveller
someone able to confirm no caviar loaded for breakfast/snack flights? (e.g. EK11)
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by diningdecadence
someone able to confirm no caviar loaded for breakfast/snack flights? (e.g. EK11)
You can see the menu for your flight at the bottom of this page https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/experience/dining/ , however I've just had a look through and cannot see caviar loaded
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:58 am

am i crazy?

Looking to fly the a380 in first from nyc, no interest in dubai, so looking to go to Milan. It looks like 135k points round trip + $1100pp . I'm flying this with 2 people, and taxes are $2300 total PLUS the 270k miles round trip. That is a TON of miles/money for a couple 7-8 hour flights, anybody know of any partner airlines or anything else i can do? I may go business one way, which saves me only 40k miles or so . Feels like a bad use of miles, especially when adding how much $ out of pocket, am I missing anything or is that just my best option at this point ? Every other option/partner i read about no longer exist. Thanks@!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by dan88
Looking to fly the a380 in first from nyc, no interest in dubai, so looking to go to Milan. It looks like 135k points round trip + $1100pp . I'm flying this with 2 people, and taxes are $2300 total PLUS the 270k miles round trip. That is a TON of miles/money for a couple 7-8 hour flights, anybody know of any partner airlines or anything else i can do? I may go business one way, which saves me only 40k miles or so . Feels like a bad use of miles, especially when adding how much $ out of pocket, am I missing anything or is that just my best option at this point ? Every other option/partner i read about no longer exist. Thanks@!

​​​​​​EK redemptions are high, try JL or AS
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
​​​​​​EK redemptions are high, try JL or AS
thanks. Looks like JL (japan i assume?) only accepts transfers from Starpoints (i only have MR/UR) and AS recently incrased it to 180k miles EACH WAY in first. I've been searching last few hours, I may have to just bite the bullet
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:40 pm

Chauffeur/lounge questions

I'll be arriving at DXB T3 at 5:45am from Johannesburg in first class and would prefer to kill a few hours in an EK lounge before using the chauffeur service to go to my hotel. So a few questions -

Is there an arrivals lounge at T3 (or T1 or T2)?
Can I ignore the online booking option for the chauffeur service and just show up upon arriving in DXB to book the service (with the understanding I may need to wait)?
Is it a requirement that the chauffeur appointment be confirmed? For example, if I book service online to ride from my hotel to Johannesburg airport will the driver simply show up at the allotted time or must the appointment be confirmed?
Can a passenger from an EK flight in another class of service or from a different airline ride with me from the airport or is it strictly limited to the passenger booked in first?
Also, more of a what if question - suppose you are late to the airport due to fault of the driver (car mechanical issues, driver lost etc) or some other issue such as traffic due to a major accident. Will EK re-book you with no issues?

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:17 pm

There are no arrivals lounges in the EK network. If you're having a long transit (but under 24 hours) and wanting to use a lounge before going to a hotel or into town or whatever, then you can use a departure lounge, go back through security when done and exit as if you'd just arrived, but it doesn't sound like this is the case.

At most outstations the chauffeur company will call the day before to confirm pick up. Someone with specific knowledge of JNB may be able to confirm if that's the case there.

You can usually take anyone you want in the car with you - they don't have to be flying anywhere.

The Ts and Cs indicate EK will treat you as a no show and you'll be on the hook for change fees etc. In practice I've known EK to be more lenient (and in F there's probably a better chance of this).
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by Slickw
Is it a requirement that the chauffeur appointment be confirmed? For example, if I book service online to ride from my hotel to Johannesburg airport will the driver simply show up at the allotted time or must the appointment be confirmed?
CD at JNB is provided by Bidvest. They'll call you a day before your pickup and confirm address and time plus ask how much luggage you have. On the day of travel you should then also receive a text message giving you the name and cell number of your allocated driver.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:05 am

Saver fares

Hi Guys

Fares for the evening flight from Gatwick to Auckland are shown as 'sold out' on 27th March.

In your opinion will it stay at that status or is it likely that Emirates will release some more saver fares at a later date.

I can get a saver fare from Heathrow to Auckland on the same day but I liver much closer to Gatwick.

Thanks for your advice
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by woollygirl
Hi Guys

Fares for the evening flight from Gatwick to Auckland are shown as 'sold out' on 27th March.

In your opinion will it stay at that status or is it likely that Emirates will release some more saver fares at a later date.

I can get a saver fare from Heathrow to Auckland on the same day but I liver much closer to Gatwick.

Thanks for your advice
Saver fares come and go - not much one can do in terms of predicting them, other than maybe looking at annual sales patterns etc. Given the fact that this is just before Easter, I am surprised to see saver fares in the first place. BTW - which booking class are you looking at and what's the difference in price between a flex ex-LGW and a saver ex-LHR?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:15 am

Thanks for that. I've been watching the fares for the past 2 weeks but not been in a position to proceed to booking until today. Last Friday the fare had dropped to £1250 from Gatwick, but today it's £1501 compared to approx £1250 from Heathrow. I'm travelling economy by the way
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:03 am

Thanks for that. I've been watching the fares for the past 2 weeks but not been in a position to proceed to booking until today. Last Friday the fare had dropped to £1250 from Gatwick, but today it's £1501 compared to approx £1250 from Heathrow. I'm travelling economy by the way
So the question is whether the inconvenience and expense of traveling to and from LHR outweighs saving £250.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:58 am

All sorted thanks.... This morning I located a fare via Travelbag and saved £289 in total... and travelling from Gatwick.

Thanks for responding to my posts
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:20 am

All sorted thanks.... This morning I located a fare via Travelbag and saved £289 in total... and travelling from Gatwick.

Thanks for responding to my posts
^ enjoy!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:23 am

My family has been traveling to Italy for the past few years from JFK. We took advantage of the 2-for-1 fares from JFK-MXP and were happy with the fare, flight, etc. We're looking to book again for this (late) June. I've looked at the history of Emirates offering this fare and I can't really see a pattern. Last year we booked in October for June. They ran the promotion in August of 2017 (the dates didn't work for us unfortunately). The year before I believe the fare popped in January.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is a promotion you all expect every year or it just kind of happens without warning. Thanks all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.