FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1884998-newbie-lounge-ask-your-questions-here-flame-free-2018-a.html)

skywardhunter Dec 24, 2018 1:40 am

Originally Posted by synd (Post 30569399)
Hi all, recently joined EK skywards during my last round trip. My sister flew the same days as me, she was leaving from paris, i was leaving from tun. what was interesting, is on her account the miles earned will expire on on dec 2021, while mine will expire on sept 2022... same dates of travel!!! any reason why that might happen?
The second issue i had is they mentionned that i would get some sign up bonus miles, my sister got them on her account, while i did not. any reason why that might not happen, and should i ask for them?

thanks all for your advice

best wishes for the holidays

How long has it been since the trip? It does sound odd. 2021 seems right, I'd say ask for the bonus

DYKWIA Dec 24, 2018 3:20 am

Originally Posted by synd (Post 30569399)
Hi all, recently joined EK skywards during my last round trip. My sister flew the same days as me, she was leaving from paris, i was leaving from tun. what was interesting, is on her account the miles earned will expire on on dec 2021, while mine will expire on sept 2022... same dates of travel!!! any reason why that might happen?
The second issue i had is they mentionned that i would get some sign up bonus miles, my sister got them on her account, while i did not. any reason why that might not happen, and should i ask for them?

I can't recall the exact details, but it's to do with your birthday strangely enough. It's something like 3 years after your next birthday - does that sound correct?

Note sure about the sign up bonus. Just ask them.

synd Dec 24, 2018 5:37 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30569410)
How long has it been since the trip? It does sound odd. 2021 seems right, I'd say ask for the bonus

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 30569525)
I can't recall the exact details, but it's to do with your birthday strangely enough. It's something like 3 years after your next birthday - does that sound correct?

Thanks skywardhunter & DYKWIA. Your answer makes senses, in the strangeness of that mile expiration date lol. Indeed my sister first flight was before her birthday, while mine was after, so three years after your next birthday is right and the month expiry corrolate that. Would have never thought to look at birthday in order to determine expiry dates!

thijsseh Dec 24, 2018 6:14 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 30569525)

Yes indeed, Skywards miles expire at the end of your birthday month 3 years after they were earned. So if your birthday is in September and you fly on 1 October, your miles will 'live' for (almost) 4 years. If your flight was on 30 September, they only last 3 years. It's a strange way of doing things IMHO but there you go.

KLflyerRalph Dec 27, 2018 1:54 pm

On my next trip I will have access to the J lounge at DXB. Is either the A or B concourse lounge better or newer than the other? Any significant differences in terms of facilities?

DYKWIA Dec 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph (Post 30579499)
On my next trip I will have access to the J lounge at DXB. Is either the A or B concourse lounge better or newer than the other? Any significant differences in terms of facilities?

A is better in my opinion, and tends to be a bit quieter. More chance of direct boarding from the lounge.

However... the B lounge has a champagne bar that is quite nice. Also a free Costa outlet.

Saltire74 Dec 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Please post all of your Newbie questions in our dedicated 2019 thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...ee-2019-a.html

Best wishes for 2019

Saltire74