Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:12 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by kvncrw
Thanks very much for your time, thijsseh. I fear I have wasted it. I see the error I made. I searched google flights and went to the Emirates site and had 'economy' on the brain and didn't see that 'saver' wasn't offered on the return flight, but economy flex, and assumed (always a bad idea ) that saver and ec fx combined would be too expensive, since the 'saver' section was 'sold out'. I did a dummy booking and the price matches what I expected. Thanks also for the EF site which is new to me. Any tips or advice with Emirates would helpful.
No problem kvncrw, most of us on the EK forum are happy to help, especially a newcomer to the airline.

AFAIK none of the 'regulars' are EK employees, but many of us fly EK regularly and appreciate the 'product'.

If you plan to use EK more than just occasionally, join the FF programme (Skywards). Miles expire after 3 years, so you need to fly relatively regularly to get real benefit out of it.

Since sometime last year, you need to pay for seat selection on (economy) Special or Saver tickets, but on Flex tickets it is free of charge for 'regular' seats. For some seats there is still a charge, but at on-line check in (48 hours before departure), you can select any still available seat free of charge.
If you are a regular flyer on any airline, I recommend paying ($9.99 per month) for EF. Even if you don't fly all that often it is quite a good deal as you can 'switch it on and off' very easily on a month-to-month basis (i.e. you only pay for the months you want to use it).

Enjoy EK!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:44 am

Great! Thanks very much. Happy trails.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards
Emirates leg upgrade

Hi I am flying London Gatwick - Dubai - Melbourne with Emirates on Saturday night (20:25) on an economy flex ticket and I have been able to upgrade the London-Dubai leg with my Skywards points to Business Class. I have asked Emirates about upgrading the second leg Dubai-Melbourne but no joy my question is - is there likely to be a lst minute upgrade available at London or even Dubai using miles or cash? thanks
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Ben Daine
Hi I am flying London Gatwick - Dubai - Melbourne with Emirates on Saturday night (20:25) on an economy flex ticket and I have been able to upgrade the London-Dubai leg with my Skywards points to Business Class. I have asked Emirates about upgrading the second leg Dubai-Melbourne but no joy my question is - is there likely to be a lst minute upgrade available at London or even Dubai using miles or cash? thanks
They do release award space unpredictably so I would setup the alert/auto upgrade in MMB and ask again at the airport if you want to use miles. They may also send you an upgrade email offer (no lounge access) closer to departure and of course you can always upgrade with cash if there is availability for the fare difference.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Ben Daine
If you are Silver or above, you can upgrade on board if there are seats available. Or at checkin.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If you are Silver or above, you can upgrade on board if there are seats available. Or at checkin.
Make sure you have your membership card with you. IIRC they won't do it off the manifest and require you to have your card or mini-card to do onboard upgrades.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:47 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Flaneurs
Make sure you have your membership card with you. IIRC they won't do it off the manifest and require you to have your card or mini-card to do onboard upgrades.
Membership card? Apart from Plat they seem to issue these very sporadically. At best you can download your virtual card into Wallet on an iPhone (or the equivalent Android app). Hopefully that will be accepted. Somewhere I read that giving us your membership number would open the entire box of tricks commensurate with your tier status.
Flaneurs likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
EK no longer issue physical membership cards, so I expect this requirement to fall away
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by kq747
They do release award space unpredictably so I would setup the alert/auto upgrade in MMB . . . .
I think there's a time limit on that (T -36 hours) so it may not be an option.

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
EK no longer issue physical membership cards, so I expect this requirement to fall away
That seemed to be variable last time it was discussed. Some were told to pick one up in DXB and some were still receiving them.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by ft101
I think there's a time limit on that (T -36 hours) so it may not be an option.

That seemed to be variable last time it was discussed. Some were told to pick one up in DXB and some were still receiving them.
They've 100% stopped issuing them and the website reflects as much. Twitter Team also confirmed. Picking up in DXB is an option but as most won't do it I think they won't expect the card onboard for the upgrade. The purser's tablet has your real time status and mileage information on it, they probably didn't have that when the rule about physical card presence was introduced
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:23 am

Hi Everyone

We will be flying early Feb from Glasgow to Melbourne economy but would love to be bale to request/pay for upgrade at the airport . Is it possible to fly economy Glasgow to Dubai then pay for upgrade for second leg but do this at Glasgow check in (obviously if there is any room) and if so what are the chances of this being possible.

Thanks

Liz
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:51 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Liz Bryant
Hi Everyone

We will be flying early Feb from Glasgow to Melbourne economy but would love to be bale to request/pay for upgrade at the airport . Is it possible to fly economy Glasgow to Dubai then pay for upgrade for second leg but do this at Glasgow check in (obviously if there is any room) and if so what are the chances of this being possible.

Thanks

Liz
Hi Liz Bryant. I see you’ve been a member for a month now but let me officially welcome you to the EK Forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here with the dedicated dashboard with a lot of relevant threads and info.

I’m not entirely sure if you can do what you’re asking but have you enquired how much it would be to up-fare through your TA or whoever you booked your flights through? Unless you get a special email or OLCI offer, paying for upgrades at check in are not usually much (if at all) cheaper than fare difference. Paying on the day also excludes from lounge access and chauffeur drive services which to me are all part of the experience.

If you booked through Emirates, give them a call and ask how much it would be to upgrade your outbound flights but something tells me you may not be able to do it only for your flight from DXB to MEL but I could be wrong. Likewise if you booked through a TA, contact them and ask.

In my experience, if doing this through EK, they haven’t charged the change fee that usually comes with upgrading tickets but not sure if they still do this. Travel agents would most likely apply this charge which obviously increases the costs.

Try those avenues and and let us know how you get on.

S

Edit to add: If you started your journey in business from GLA, you would get to experience the superb EK Lounge. Good food and drinks selection, excellent staff and brilliant apron views if you’re into that sort of thing
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74

Hi Liz Bryant. I see youve been a member for a month now but let me officially welcome you to the EK Forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here with the dedicated dashboard with a lot of relevant threads and info.

Im not entirely sure if you can do what youre asking but have you enquired how much it would be to up-fare through your TA or whoever you booked your flights through? Unless you get a special email or OLCI offer, paying for upgrades at check in are not usually much (if at all) cheaper than fare difference. Paying on the day also excludes from lounge access and chauffeur drive services which to me are all part of the experience.

If you booked through Emirates, give them a call and ask how much it would be to upgrade your outbound flights but something tells me you may not be able to do it only for your flight from DXB to MEL but I could be wrong. Likewise if you booked through a TA, contact them and ask.

In my experience, if doing this through EK, they havent charged the change fee that usually comes with upgrading tickets but not sure if they still do this. Travel agents would most likely apply this charge which obviously increases the costs.

Try those avenues and and let us know how you get on.

S

Edit to add: If you started your journey in business from GLA, you would get to experience the superb EK Lounge. Good food and drinks selection, excellent staff and brilliant apron views if youre into that sort of thing
If you pay fare difference at check-in you do get lounge access AFAIK since you're in fully paid J (as in B Class not the J bucket). Also all EK fares generally explicitly state that no change fee applies to upgrade to higher class if service, TA's charge their own service fee, if they tell you it's an airline change fee that's a lie.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:52 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
If you pay fare difference at check-in you do get lounge access AFAIK since you're in fully paid J (as in B Class not the J bucket). Also all EK fares generally explicitly state that no change fee applies to upgrade to higher class if service, TA's charge their own service fee, if they tell you it's an airline change fee that's a lie.
Oops on that one then. Must have confusing it with something else. Wasnt too sure if they still waived the change fee during these times of austerity and having not been on EK for a wee while. Good to hear they still dont levy the charge. I challenged my Corporate TA on that once and was given a BS answer but couldnt be bothered arguing the point as was happy with the up-fare anyway. But original advice still stands for the Op to call and see as sometimes the cost isnt as frightening as you may expect

S
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:32 pm

Banks

Thank you for the replies .I booked direct with Emirates so I guess I will call emirates and see how much it will be to upgrade .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.