Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

When does Emirates release first class upgrade seats?

Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

I have two round-trip business class tickets from EWR-ATH (departs in 2 months) that I paid for. I have enough Amex Points to upgrade to first class, and would like to do so, but there is currently no option for award upgrades. I checked expert flyer, and there are three seats in first class left for the flight back to Newark, and five first class seats left on the flight over to Athens. Was wondering if/when those seats would be released for award upgrades?

Also, the flight is for a special occasion (my honeymoon) so I'm wondering if I called up Emirates and explained my situation, if they would be willing to open up some upgrade availability for a special occasion.

Appreciate any insight anyone would be able to provide.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:47 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

There's no way of knowing. Just keep checking daily.

Don't waste your time phoning, they won't even open up award seats for FT Emirates Ambassadors (not me I might add)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
From my experience it's totally unpredictable. I've found that if I get upgraded it's usually between two and four weeks before departure. I was upgraded on a flight that appeared almost full in First when I checked only to find a total of 4 people in F when I boarded. Similarly a flight may appear wide open a two weeks before departure and yet no upgrade is available. As DYKWIA says, the best is to keep checking on a daily basis.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:29 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by ncsuactor84FT
Also, the flight is for a special occasion (my honeymoon) so I'm wondering if I called up Emirates and explained my situation, if they would be willing to open up some upgrade availability for a special occasion.
If this worked, I'd have had 20 honeymoons in the past 5 years.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:07 am

Just a data point, I am flying out this Sunday night and just received a text from Emirates releasing availability to upgrade to first to business with Skyward points this morning.
So that is about 4 days out? Also to note, Expertflyer hasnt contacted me yet about the space, and in face Emirates was faster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.