EK temporary banned in Tunisia

Old Dec 29, 17, 8:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by tortellini View Post
Is there nobody from EK here commenting? I'm wondering, since quite a few must be affected....
There is no official EK presence on this forum (yet...)
Old Dec 29, 17, 9:07 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by SvenFromGermany View Post
True, still annoying though. And I would have wished Emirates would have shown a bit more generosity to accommdate people with valid tickets. If there would at least be some kind of plausible communication what the spät is all about ...It's definitely not only about women not allowed to fly...
what are your options? Fly to Cai? Just from Dxb? What about your nearest home station?

Old Dec 29, 17, 6:02 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest, Air Berlin Top Bonus, Royal Orchid, Bangkok Airways Flyer Bonus
Originally Posted by m3red View Post

what are your options? Fly to Cai? Just from Dxb? What about your nearest home station?

Best option would be the morning flight from TUN to CMN and from there continue to DXB or maybe first to CAI with Tunisair. But Emirates want to charge a rather hefty additional amount when I depart from these cities. Flying from my home base would mean to forfeit the few days I've planned in Tunisia ...and of course that would get really expensive.
Funny thing is that by cancelling one leg they actually made the ticket technically more expensive and the difference between the DXB - BKK ticket and the CMN - BKK ticket is something I would even consider to pay on top, but that is not the amount they want to charge
Old Dec 29, 17, 6:28 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest, Air Berlin Top Bonus, Royal Orchid, Bangkok Airways Flyer Bonus
Doing a quick search at Emirates the ticket DXB - BKK I'm kind of holding at the moment sells for 3600 Euro in the same tariff. I paid 2700 Euro for TUN - BKK (which is a steal admittedly). CMN - BKK goes for 3800 Euro and CAI - BKK for 4300 Euro. I would be willing to pay an extra of maybe around 400 or 500 Euro plus arranging the transfer to CMN by myself, but the 1150 they want is out of question. In that case I'd rather cancel, forfeit the expenses I had, take the refund and rebook on a different carrier
Old Dec 30, 17, 8:13 pm
HB7

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Qantas FF, Etihad Guest.
Originally Posted by m3red View Post

but that’s a risk you take booking cheap tickets from a volatile region...
TUN is not a volatile region. I think you then mentioned CAI a few posts later. How can you classify Tunisia as a volatile region and then recommend Cairo? If you were to classify volatile regions, CAI is definitely more volatile than TUN.

And for the record, this type of issue can arise at any point. No one expected the UAE, Saudi etc to cut ties with Qatar - and this is definitely not a volatile region.

Last edited by HB7; Dec 30, 17 at 8:14 pm Reason: Extra sentence
Old Dec 30, 17, 8:52 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by HB7 View Post
TUN is not a volatile region. I think you then mentioned CAI a few posts later. How can you classify Tunisia as a volatile region and then recommend Cairo? If you were to classify volatile regions, CAI is definitely more volatile than TUN.

And for the record, this type of issue can arise at any point. No one expected the UAE, Saudi etc to cut ties with Qatar - and this is definitely not a volatile region.
I would classify tun and Cai in similar buckets to be honest - always geo political risk there but Cai is still open and a reasonable alternative to tun.

The GCC is also not stable - look at the current situation- anything can change at any time.
Old Dec 30, 17, 8:54 pm

You are right, in terms of volatility Egypt is definitely not more stable than Tunisia. This was a calculated insult by either the UAE or Emirates and they knew what would follow (or at least could have strongly guessed the reaction). That they now cancel all flights over a seemingly minor spat shows there must be more to it. At least they should own their actions and handle the people holding valid tickets properly. It can't be that customers should pay the price for Emirates political meddlings
Old Jan 5, 18, 10:31 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Reports that flights are to resume between TUN & DXB

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/ne...row-over-women

"Tunisia said on Thursday it was allowing Emirates Airline flights to the country again after halting them following outcry over security measures by the United Arab Emirates targeting Tunisian women."

Hopefully this will resolve the issues highlighted in this thread.

​​​​​​​S
Old Jan 6, 18, 12:01 pm

Restarting when ? TUN not showing on EK app to reserve.
Old Jan 15, 18, 12:47 pm
HB7

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Qantas FF, Etihad Guest.
Does anyone have any idea when these flights are scheduled to resume? I can't find anything anywhere pointing to a date. I've read a few articles stating that these flights are about to resume, but when?
Old Jan 15, 18, 12:58 pm

Does anyone have any idea when these flights are scheduled to resume? I can't find anything anywhere pointing to a date. I've read a few articles stating that these flights are about to resume, but when?
There's total silence re this situation.TUN as a destination has even been removed from the EK app.
Old Jan 15, 18, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante View Post
There's total silence re this situation.TUN as a destination has even been removed from the EK app.
However EK still running TUN as a featured fare out of Cape Town - even thou won't load page.
Old Feb 4, 18, 9:26 am

Programs: EK Silver, DL Silver
Any update on this?
Old Feb 4, 18, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by mat17 View Post
Any update on this?
zero....total silence.
Old Feb 26, 18, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante View Post
zero....total silence.
After my EK app self updated a few days ago,again the TUN flights were available for reservation on future as announced flights.Today ..again...another EK app update and TUN has again disappeared from the airports menu.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: