Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK temporary banned in Tunisia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by redadeco
Good on Tunisia for kicking Emirates out, first time I ever hear a ban on a specific gender from a given country. I'm no Trump fan but I think he did better on his bans at least he's inclusive.

You don’t know what’s goIng on - EK would not do this lightly
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: Skywards
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:34 am

Question My TUN-DXB-XXX-DXB-TUN legs got cancelled

Hello all,

I'm opening a new thread as the other one is rather general, trying to explain the whys.

My booking: TUN-DXB-AUSTRALIA-ASIA-DXB-TUN is still intact, but only the first leg TUN-DXB and last leg DXB-TUN got cancelled.

All in first. Departing Sept 2018!

No explaination, no alternatives offered, no partial refund. Can they really just do it?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by tortellini
Hello all,

I'm opening a new thread as the other one is rather general, trying to explain the whys.

My booking: TUN-DXB-AUSTRALIA-ASIA-DXB-TUN is still intact, but only the first leg TUN-DXB and last leg DXB-TUN got cancelled.

All in first. Departing Sept 2018!

No explaination, no alternatives offered, no partial refund. Can they really just do it?
Technically they must rebook you on another carrier that serves TUN, have you asked them?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:39 am

I just called.
At this point they can not offer any other alternative to/from TUN, might take some days to have a plan.
As it is now my trip starts/ends in DXB, they did not offer a refund for the cancelled legs.
I asked to be rebooked from/to other different cities, only possible with a expensive reprice.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:51 am

It’s now a much more expensive ticket starting in Dxb - are you based in tun?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:06 am

Since I'd start in EU it does not make a very big difference in terms of price (to/from DXB instead of TUN).
Annoying is the changes in my own schedule, as this trip is pleasure + business.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Since I'd start in EU it does not make a very big difference in terms of price (to/from DXB instead of TUN).
Annoying is the changes in my own schedule, as this trip is pleasure + business.
Personally, I would wait and see how the situation evolves. You’re not scheduled to fly till September 2018. A lot can and probably will between now and then.

S
Kiwi Flyer and Seat54 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:16 pm

I will try to wait but my schedule in 2018 really requires me to decide asap. I hope EK is going to updated us asap, since it began on the 25th December and right now EK748 (TUN-DXB) and EK747 (DXB-TUN) are not available through 2018.

Since the Moderator did push my and the previous general thread together. Does somebody know what EK did during the last days with TUN-DXB/DXB-TUN tickets? Got they cancelled/reimbursed or were the passengeres offered alternative routings? I do not read anything from them.

Of course, nobody knows the future - TUN might be up again within the day of my flight - but I'd like to know as much as possible in order to take a decision.

EDIT: I feel very lucky. , since I was also affected of the still ongoing embargo (CAI-DOH with QR) :-)

Last edited by tortellini; Dec 28, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I will try to wait but my schedule in 2018 really requires me to decide asap. I hope EK will updated us (as QR did with CAI-DOH).

Since the Moderator did push my and the previous general thread together. Does somebody know what EK did during the last days with TUN-DXB/DXB-TUN tickets? Got they cancelled/reimbursed or were the passengeres offered alternative routings? I do not read anything from them.

Of course, nobody knows the future - TUN might be up again within the day of my flight - but I'd like to know as much as possible in order to take a decision.

EDIT: I feel very lucky, since I was also affected of the still ongoing embargo (CAI-DOH with QR) :-)
I can empathise with you that you want to get travel plans sorted sooner rather than later but the TUN & EK situation is only days old at the moment. There is no embargo as such at this time and the situation may be resolved soon or it may take some time. It is a different situation than the Qatar one coming about due to security concerns initially from the UAE and Tunisia deciding to halt operating rights to EK for the time being. Unfortunately you will need to have a little patience to see how the situation evolves and if there will be a normalisation in Relations. Who knows how long this may take but my advice is to leave things initially for a week or two and hopefully by that time we will see a better picture of what is happening between the two states.

Hopefully it it will get sorted sooner rather than later and if not then again, hopefully EK will have something in place as an alternative.

S
Seat54 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: Etihad Guest, Air Berlin Top Bonus, Royal Orchid, Bangkok Airways Flyer Bonus
I booked a ticket from Tunis (TUN - DXB - BKK / BKK - DXB - TUN in February 18) as well, and the first and last leg (TUN - DXB and DXB - TUN) were cancelled yesterday. I phoned and was offered either a full refund (which of course doesn't include the flights I already bought to get to Tunis) or rebooking from another departure city. I suggested to get on my own expenses to Casablanca with the morning machine from Tunis if they would offer to fly me from there (as it's impossible to find another carrier offering first class between TUN and BKK), but for this case they insisted on around 1,150 Euro I would have to pay extra.

Sven
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:55 am

Is there nobody from EK here commenting? I'm wondering, since quite a few must be affected....
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: Etihad Guest, Air Berlin Top Bonus, Royal Orchid, Bangkok Airways Flyer Bonus
Same here, booked TUN - DXB - BKK return in February in EK First. No real attempt for a solution when I phoned. Just the offer to either cancel or rebook from a different departure city (leaving it on me to pay the price difference). I would cancel if I hadn't already invested quite a bit into flights to Tunis and a hotel there, both non refundable
Generally I think the conflict is more severe than they make it appear to be. Now Tunis is completely gone from their lists of destination and when they even cancel tickets for September I'm pretty sure service won't resume in the near future
Sven

Last edited by SvenFromGermany; Dec 29, 2017 at 7:39 am
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by SvenFromGermany
Same here, booked TUN - DXB - BKK return in February in EK First. No real attempt for a solution when I phoned. Just the offer to either cancel or rebook from a different departure city (leaving it on me to pay the price difference). I would cancel if I hadn't already invested quite a bit into flights to Tunis and a hotel there, both non refundable
Sven
but that’s a risk you take booking cheap tickets from a volatile region...
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by m3red

but that’s a risk you take booking cheap tickets from a volatile region...
True, still annoying though. And I would have wished Emirates would have shown a bit more generosity to accommdate people with valid tickets. If there would at least be some kind of plausible communication what the spät is all about ...It's definitely not only about women not allowed to fly...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.