Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates to launch London Stansted Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates to launch London Stansted Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by irishguy28
But only those neither wealthy nor mobile enough to get themselves to LHR, LGW, or BHX!!
Or those who want to experience the new F suites ex-UK!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
People in this thread seem to forget that the majority of 77W pax sit in Economy...
In terms of economy comfort, STN isn't really great either. It has a tiny departure hall (IIRC it used to be larger) and since everybody has to hang around there until they announce the gate, it's a fight over who gets a place to sit.

As for STAN being remote. Only if you're heading into the city.
I haven't even mentioned the location of STN but since you're bringing it up. For those heading to London the West, South, South-east and South-West of London, it's probably not ideal in terms of location. Undoubtedly those will prefer flights to LHR and LGW but that doesn't change that I find STN the worst of the London airports EK will be flying too.

STN has managed to push the whole duty-free malarkey to the extreme. The security line spits you out into a snaking corridor full of shops into a tiny departure hall where you'll wait until very shortly before the departure. Think of it like IKEA that make you walk through every department... Come to think of it even IKEA has a couple of short-cuts here and there.

Originally Posted by TPJ
You sure they didn't mean FRA?
IMHO STN is fairly OK airport.
Nah that's HHN.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
People in this thread seem to forget that the majority of 77W pax sit in Economy...

As for STAN being remote. Only if you're heading into the city. European countries are more densely populated and less urbanised than for instance South Africa or the US or India. When I used to live in Germany my home airport (HAJ) was a 60-80 minute drive, that's not far for a once a year holiday trip, and for those living on the outskirts of even completely outside LON but not nearer to BHX or other EK airports this will possibly be a solid option.

People need to stop assuming their personal travel pattern and preference (especially on a site like Ft which skews heavily to the frequent, often business traveller) is the blueprint for airline decision making
I dont think people are saying it is remote, they are saying how poor it is to get to, in terms of public transport and the road links for that matter. Not only that it is a terrible airport. The Germany example you gave, that once a year 60- 80 minute drive is somebody going from places such as Cambridge to LHR, which is their solid option.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Will08
I dont think people are saying it is remote, they are saying how poor it is to get to, in terms of public transport and the road links for that matter. Not only that it is a terrible airport. The Germany example you gave, that once a year 60- 80 minute drive is somebody going from places such as Cambridge to LHR, which is their solid option.
But as long as enough people are willing to stomach STN instead of LHR or LGW EK will fill the plane, it's an obvious way to increase LON capacity, by siphoning off a sub-section of the available market to that flight and leaving the rest of the pot for the LHR and LGW mainstays
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
But as long as enough people are willing to stomach STN instead of LHR or LGW EK will fill the plane, ...
I have no doubt that they will. For C/F flights they may have to either invest quite a bit to make it a pleasant ground experience or slightly lower the prices compared to LGW and LHR, but I'm pretty certain that they'll have no trouble filling Y ex STN since Y passengers. While I don't like STN for the reason stated above, it still gets plenty of passengers every year. Same goes for LTN (maybe we should as LTN_Phobia for a thorough review ). At the end of the day Y passengers will care primarily about the £/$/€ they'll have to spend to get where they want to go.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In my previous dealings with EK they were pretty fixated with the ethnic markets that live in NE and East London and not just the well heeled in Cambridge. They will get volumes of traffic to Bangladesh pulled off QR, GF or EY at LHR. Nigerians populate areas just south of the river east of Woolwich.
As someone earlier said, EK needs plenty of economy class passengers as well. Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Thamesmead, Ilford and Barking are where potential EK passengers live with a motivation to see distant relatives.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I have no doubt that they will. For C/F flights they may have to either invest quite a bit to make it a pleasant ground experience or slightly lower the prices compared to LGW and LHR, but I'm pretty certain that they'll have no trouble filling Y ex STN since Y passengers. While I don't like STN for the reason stated above, it still gets plenty of passengers every year. Same goes for LTN (maybe we should as LTN_Phobia for a thorough review ). At the end of the day Y passengers will care primarily about the £/$/€ they'll have to spend to get where they want to go.
I'd be very surprised if the STN/EK deal didn't include a dedicated EK lounge , although I don't know where they will locate it, however it will compress the other departing passengers ...which will now be 300 odd even more .I don't forsee any problem either in filling the premium classes as STN as ugly as it is...has a huge catchment area,including from the city of London.From day 1,the flight will be a success for EK.Hopefully as you mention,STN will improve the ground experience especially for arrivals.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
I'd be very surprised if the STN/EK deal didn't include a dedicated EK lounge , although I don't know where they will locate it, . . . .
What is in the space at the end of the piers where there used to be lounges?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Three years ago, had this route been launched - I would be flying it in J. But I no longer live in Cambridge.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by DatBoi
Three years ago, had this route been launched - I would be flying it in J. But I no longer live in Cambridge.
Cambridge colleges give full membership to minors!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:31 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by XXTSGR

Cambridge colleges give full membership to minors!
Back then I flew once, twice or thrice a year in J. Once/Twice a year to see my grandparents in India and once on holiday to places like MRU, BKK, MLE.
I was not concerned about loyalty and flew primarily EK. Now I fly more - a lot more and so loyalty and the benefits that come with it matter a lot more to me!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by extramileage
I'm sure putting the new 777s equipped with the new F and J will make some of the people on this board give STN a try!
Not when it comes at a massive premium

Just priced up some random dates next September
STN-DXB £7628 and LGW-DXB £4315 other destinations are similar.
This is not encouraging despite it being on the doorstep, its not worth £3k more, Emirates seems to have rather odd pricing these days though.

I would have loved a 1700-1900 departure time though, so I think I will stick to LHR for the foreseeable.

Lets hope somebody with some sense sorts this out.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
But as long as enough people are willing to stomach STN instead of LHR or LGW EK will fill the plane
Well that will take some swallowing,
I have some employees that use STN but generously air their ongoing complaints about security queues being ridiculous, and that immigration can take up to 2 hours with most of the gates not operating. Some have now opted to use LGW instead they are just so fed up with it. I live 5 miles from the airport and I think I may still prefer the drive to LGW or LHR given that I could be home earlier than if it was STN.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Seat54
Well that will take some swallowing,
I have some employees that use STN but generously air their ongoing complaints about security queues being ridiculous, and that immigration can take up to 2 hours with most of the gates not operating. Some have now opted to use LGW instead they are just so fed up with it. I live 5 miles from the airport and I think I may still prefer the drive to LGW or LHR given that I could be home earlier than if it was STN.
I don't blame them when you consider it takes longer to clear customs than the flight duration they have just taken from Europe!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I used to fly Glasgow or Edinburgh to STN quite a bit. The security was always a pain in the neck but manageable with fast track. The new 10minute walk around duty free borders on insulting.
Last year I did my first international arrivals and it was a mess.

Agree with the thoughts of others, EK needs to massively increase ground experience or discount flights for me to consider STN. A 777 passenger arrival going into that immigration queue is the work of nightmare's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.