Wiki Posts
Search

Misconnect in Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Misconnect in Dubai

Not sure if this belongs here or the QF forum as the flights are booked as QF flights on EK metal...but I figured that people here would be more knowledgable about DXB and EK proceedures.

My mother-in-law is currently on QF8160 (EK160) OSL-DXB which departed OSL 51 minutes late, and is expected to arrive 1hr 32 minutes late (a little over 90 minutes from now). She was due to transfer to EK414 but looking at her Booking on qantas.com it seems that QF/EK have preemptively rebooked her on QF8404 to MEL via SIN (and then onto SYD on EK5426 (not sure why the final flight has been rebooked as an EK codeshare - and yet the DXB-MEL flight is still booked as a QF codeshare).

First, will someone meet her in DXB and explain the changes to her and what (if any) compensation should she receive in terms of food vouchers/accommodation - her 2 hour connection has now extended to 9.5 hours - if not what are the options regarding paid lounges in DXB (will also be looking at airport accomodation).

I am about to ring QF and see if it is possible to switch to QF2 - which would eliminate both the SIN & MEL transfers and have her in SYD about 6 hours earlier - will doing so cause complications for her in DXB?

She has little international travel experience, so am expecting paniced phone call/messages from her when she gets there and want to get a handle on things before that happens.

Editted:

QF2 wasn't available so she has now been rebooked to QF8418 via BKK (eliminates the transfer in MEL plus gets in 3 hours earlier).

Last edited by bugsy; Dec 13, 2017 at 1:26 pm Reason: Added new flight details.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Someone should meet her as the deplanes with a sign with her name and explain. Shr can also go to the connection counter to request a different flight, presumably QF2 was fully booked already? Or the EK booking engine that did the rebooking wanted to keep her on EK Metal. QF won't be able to do anything now is my guess, as the ticket is under the operating carriers control
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
I know that they do not muck about with anyone/anything who could delay EK414 as it is one of biggest flights for EK that has to depart on time due to the night time landing noise restrictions at SYD. I hope all works out though !
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Is she in Y?
I have to say the few misconnects ive had in C and F with EK have been handled brilliantly. Met at the bridge when getting off the aircraft with new boarding cards and vouchers for hotel (le meridien) and food etc. This was for an 8 hour layover due to late incoming aircraft. We were out through immigration and checking into the hotel about 20 mins after landing, and then a car brought us back to the airport that night to catch our new flight.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is purely an EK issue. As the operating carrier, it is responsible for the reroute, any compensation, and any duty of care which she may be owed.

First, she should focus on her onward connections and then worry about compensation for any delay after everything is settled. Focusing staff on one task is primary to getting things done properly.

Second, make certain that the two of you coordinate. If there are changes to be made, she should do them and if she requires your assistance, have you on mobile to assist. There is a real risk in having you working with one agent on reissuing a ticket while another agent is working on the same thing. There is only one ticket and this can result in a passenger with a reservation and no ticket. All with the best intentions, but not helpful in the end. Best for you to provide her with specific options including flight numbers and routing.

Third, if she is not met and misconnects, she will certainly wind up being directed to someone who will assist her, either with preset reroute or in a changed reroute.

Fourth, She is entitled to a "duty of care" under EC 261/2004. She will likely be handed food vouchers and if she were to overnight, the same for a hotel. If she is in F/J, she will have lounge access for meals. Whether she is later entitled to delay compensation will be dependent on the ultimate length of her delay at MEL and the reasons for the delay, e.g. whether an "extraordinary circumstance." But, that is not something to concern her with until after she is back in MEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.