Lounge Access for Kids

Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond, EK-Gold
Lounge Access for Kids

Travelling Emirates via DXB for a vacation in May by Economy with wife and 2 children. Was wondering if golds get to take kids for free into the lounge or if its strictly for gold + 1 companion.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:41 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
EK are tough with lounge access. Policy states Golds are allowed only 1 guest and depending on time of day etc, DXB can be quite strict in enforcing the program rules.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:12 pm

I am in the same situation as the OP.

Does anyone have personal experience with lounge access for kids as EK Gold? We are planning a trip to DXB in Y with whole family (kids are age 5 and 3).
Old Feb 26, 2011, 8:26 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mtresc
I am in the same situation as the OP.

Does anyone have personal experience with lounge access for kids as EK Gold? We are planning a trip to DXB in Y with whole family (kids are age 5 and 3).
I have travelled with the wife and kids many times, but I am lucky in the sense that I fly out of airports which I use often, so the lounge staff cut me some slack with taking everyone in.

Here's what I do.

I ask the wife and kids to wait outside the lounge reception (but where they can be seen). I then walk in and approach the staff and ask politely if they could come in (and admitting that I know that I am officially only permitted to bring ONE guest in).

I've never been denied but I do think it depends on the lounge and the staff on duty. I also haven't tried doing this in DXB, where the quantity of people entering probably needs to be policed quite heavily.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Air Koryo Loyal Comrades
There are some other threads in the forum AFAIR regarding this and apparently, some people have had success with getting their kids in. Overall, I'd say Emirates is very kids-friendly. Give it a shot following eightblack's excellent game plan :-)
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Skywards Gold
It can be hit and miss, I'd go with the advice above of admitting you know it's only one guest but as well mention you'll stay out of the way in the family area at the back (if you don't know where this is, it's all the way at the back of the lounge with its own hotdog and popcorn stand). In no way condoning stereotyping of any sort, but if it were me going up I'd approach the south east asian females at the counter and not the arab males
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:05 am

Thank you all for the info, sounds like a good strategy.

Any particular experience in the MUC lounge?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
My grandfather is a bit of a sweet talker and was once able to get 7 guests in with 3 J class pax and 1 Skywards Gold pax. This was unusual though; I have seen an extra guest being both denied and accepted at DXB. I have only seen denial at LHR.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:56 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
It is possible, but don't count on it.

There is another lounge at DXB (Marhaba) but they charge $42 per, and it has to be booked in advance. Not been there so idk how good it is.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Xlr
It is possible, but don't count on it.

There is another lounge at DXB (Marhaba) but they charge $42 per, and it has to be booked in advance. Not been there so idk how good it is.
From my experience as a Gold, more than 2 years ago, I have no problems bringing in my wife and 3 kids (1 infant, 1 toddler and 1 child) at Singapore and Melbourne. Admitting to knowing the rules - which only allow 1 guest - works pretty well back then.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, Miles&Smiles, Miles&More
I have managed several times to get my wife (she was silver on those days) and son (4 years old now) as a gold member, without even asking for a special permission. And even once our nanny and my son. After my wife got gold, things got very easy for sure.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by kilic16slx
I have managed several times to get my wife (she was silver on those days) and son (4 years old now) as a gold member, without even asking for a special permission. And even once our nanny and my son. After my wife got gold, things got very easy for sure.
I usually fly out from Hamburg, and there is a nice Emirates lounge there. I have only once (this january) been denied acces with wife and 3 children, because B and F was full, and they would not let extra in (I fly Economy, but I have Gold card with EK). Still, they gave me extra service. They knew that I was going to the other airport lounge, so the emirates lounge staff came to the other lounge and told us that it was time to board!!! Which other airline in Y do you get this service? Plus I have never, never, never, been not allowed into the "new" Business Class lounge in Terminal 3 in Dubai without wife and kids, they always allow us in, even though it is only me who is Gold.
Thank you Emirates, for beeing kind to me and my family...
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: Platinum : Amex | Gold : EK Bonvoy Carlson Hilton
We just have been kicked out from HKG (gold + my wife, silver, and my 3 yo boy). And the FAQ on the emirates website disappeared.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:13 am

My experience is that in DXB they have always allowed my wife and daughter (child) in (when we are all in Y and I am gold). In fact in the DXB lounge I even asked politely why this the case, and the lounge attendant made mention of an "unofficial policy" to allow kids under 12 into lounge with pax that have status and with wife (as the +1). Not sure what to make of it, or if it is true, but never once had a lounge attendant in DXB stop me, when I asked for my wife and daughter to come in.

Non DXB lounges are a different story, only once been able to get both in (CMB). The policy was very strictly policed, however I always ask.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
Lounge Access for Kids

Policy is policy but I think 8B's old post and advice on this remains valid and the best approach. Try politely and with tact and accept it with good grace if you fail.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.