Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK using long haul A380 airframes on Ultra Long Haul routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold

So on my last 2 trips, I noticed that EK has started using long haul air frames, the ones with 427 seats in Y, on my preferred flight to JFK, EK203/4. Flights to JFK always used the ULH airframes (399Y/401Y) in the past. With fewer lavs in the first cabin (where I usually sit), had to suffer a longer wait to find an opportune moment to get up and use the Lavs. Wonder if this is here to stay and if so, definitely a letdown in what typically has been a nice flight.

EK201/2 continues to operate with the ULH air frames, though though I did see a few days this month on which a long haul a/c was used.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
So on my last 2 trips, I noticed that EK has started using long haul air frames, the ones with 427 seats in Y, on my preferred flight to JFK, EK203/4. Flights to JFK always used the ULH airframes (399Y/401Y) in the past. With fewer lavs in the first cabin (where I usually sit), had to suffer a longer wait to find an opportune moment to get up and use the Lavs. Wonder if this is here to stay and if so, definitely a letdown in what typically has been a nice flight.

EK201/2 continues to operate with the ULH air frames, though though I did see a few days this month on which a long haul a/c was used.
Isn't this exactly what I said regarding the GRU flight the other day on the other thread? Everyone quickly shut me down saying LH frames frames never fly ULH routes.... Hehe
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Isn't this exactly what I said regarding the GRU flight the other day on the other thread? Everyone quickly shut me down saying LH frames frames never fly ULH routes.... Hehe
Are these the new 427 Y frames with the CRC on the lower level?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold

The airframes you are referring to are definitely ULH aircraft just the newer configuration of 426Y, made possible by the relocation of the Crew rest to under the lower deck as stated by eternaltransit. Registration are A6-EUE,F, G,H,I,J,K,L.

Last edited by Bravo2K; Nov 29, 2017 at 5:34 am Reason: Missed rego’s
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:35 am

@jackiedada

The very new ULH frames have Y426, the crew rest area is located in the cargo hold.

Perhaps you have flown with one of these frames? Like A6-EUF til A6-EUL??
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZRHMD11
@jackiedada

The very new ULH frames have Y426, the crew rest area is located in the cargo hold.

Perhaps you have flown with one of these frames? Like A6-EUF til A6-EUL??
Oh, that is definitely a possibility, actually, most likely the case. I was expecting the newer ULH to have similar number of Lavs in the first cabin, but it only seemed to have 3 (or so I thought) which was a bit disappointing and led me to think that it is a LH air frame.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:30 am

Just to clarify, here is a configuration list of all EK A380

A380 2-CLASS C58 Y557

EOP, EOQ, EOR, EOS, EOX, EOY, EUN, EUO, EUP, EUQ, EUX, EUY, EUZ

A380 3-CLASS F14 C76 Y427 (LR)

EDF, EDG, EDH, EDI, EDJ, EDK, EDL, EDQ, EDR, EDS, EDT, EDU, EDV, EDW, EDX
EEA, EEB, EEC, EED, EEE, EEI, EEJ, EEN, EER, EES

A380 3-CLASS F14 C76 Y429 (LR)

EEW, EEX, EEY, EEZ, EOA, EOB, EOI, EOJ, EOK, EOO, EOT, EOU, EOV, EOW, EOZ
EUA, EUB, EUC, EUD, EUM

A380 3-CLASS F14 C76 Y399 (ULR)

EDA, EDB, EDC, EDD, EDE, EDM, EDN, EDO, EDP, EDY, EDZ
EEF, EEG, EEH, EEK, EEL, EEM, EEO, EEP, EEQ, EET

A380 3-CLASS F14 C76 Y401 (ULR)

EEU, EEV
EOC, EOD, EOE, EOF, EOG, EOH, EOL, EOM, EON

A380 3-CLASS F14 C76 Y426 (ULR)

EUE, EUF, EUG, EUH, EUI, EUJ, EUK, EUL, EUT, EUV
Metanoia, RichL, eminere and 3 others like this.

Last edited by ZRHMD11; Nov 29, 2017 at 11:33 am
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Just to clarify, here is the configuration list of all EK A380
Is there actually any difference (airframe wise) between the LR and ULR versions other than the CRC (increased max takeoff weight, for instance)? Or is it simply presence/absence of CRC?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Metanoia
Is there actually any difference (airframe wise) between the LR and ULR versions other than the CRC (increased max takeoff weight, for instance)? Or is it simply presence/absence of CRC?
On the 77W at least there are some changes in location of rescue equipment that I am aware of, I would expect there to be an altered MTOW (minimally) due to the different empty weight (zero fuel weight ZFW) of the aircraft, possible (but doubt it) structural considerations requiring reinforcement (3-class A380s for instance have reinforcement to support the F suites). Depending on how the max number of seats in the aircraft is affects it could conceivably have operational impact, potentially requiring one fewer crew if it were to drop the seats below the threshold of pax:crew ratio, but again I doubt it, the change in seat numbers is not that significant.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
On the 77W at least there are some changes in location of rescue equipment that I am aware of, I would expect there to be an altered MTOW (minimally) due to the different empty weight (zero fuel weight ZFW) of the aircraft, possible (but doubt it) structural considerations requiring reinforcement (3-class A380s for instance have reinforcement to support the F suites). Depending on how the max number of seats in the aircraft is affects it could conceivably have operational impact, potentially requiring one fewer crew if it were to drop the seats below the threshold of pax:crew ratio, but again I doubt it, the change in seat numbers is not that significant.
Yes - you're right on the 77W, in fact they used to run a payload restricted 77W to SFO until they got an increased MTOW version so I think it was more than just adjusting ZFW; It was 20+ seats in Y blocked for payload.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:37 am

Unhappy

I really don`t know...I have never been on an A380....
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:59 am

Older ones of both types have a higher MTOW of around 7 tonnes (A6-EEK and before).
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: EK G̶o̶l̶d̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ 'boarding zone F', IHG
On a related question - I recently flew -EUZ and it had some new ICE functionality (particularly around the virtual cockpit and, I think, an extra outside camera) that I hadn't seen in my previous EK A380 travels. Anyone know if these are just software upgrades, or do the newer frames have upgraded hardware/electronics etc? Retrofit to all A380s, or only available on the newer bodies?

AS

Last edited by ashivraj; Nov 30, 2017 at 12:54 am
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Just to clarify, here is a configuration list of all EK A380
A380 3-CLASS F14 C76 Y426 (ULR)

EUE, EUF, EUG, EUH, EUI, EUJ, EUK, EUL, EUT, EUV
Thanks, definitely one of these as I remember using a pretty large size IFE on my last flight (with an aluminum bezel).
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:45 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Thanks, definitely one of these as I remember using a pretty large size IFE on my last flight (with an aluminum bezel).
On that note, does anyone know which frames have the large IFE's and aluminium bezels? I will be flying from MEL to DXB soon via DXB and would love to know if I'd be getting these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.