Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How is Emirates Economy these days?

Old Nov 7, 17, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue

I haven't flown Emirates since early this year. The Economy product was declining slightly from the last couple of years at the time. However, it was still leagues ahead of BA World Traveller at the time.

I'll be flying Emirates economy again in a few weeks so was wondering how good the service is now if anyone has flown recently.
Old Nov 7, 17, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Any specific things you're interested in knowing? Service is hit and miss, overall decent. Food is repetitive but good quality, newer 777s and A380s have incredibly good entertainment, even the older 777s have power at the seat, virtually all planes have WiFi now, which is free if you're a Skywards member (I think even Blue, so just register before flight)
Old Nov 7, 17, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Yes, I'm a Skywards Blue.

Specific things:

1. Is check-in still 48 hours beforehand even for Economy passengers?

2. The onboard WiFi has rarely worked for me! I hope it's improved a bit. Well, a lot!

3. The meal service and refreshment service was quite poor on my last flight flight early this year - I remember from years ago an almost constant stream of water/juice and snacks and the meal service was a bit more coordinated and timely.

4. Punctuality - was always reasonable and delays were quite rare. However, a couple of flights over the last 16 months had delays of 30+ minutes.
Old Nov 7, 17, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Originally Posted by rumbataz View Post

Specific things:

2. The onboard WiFi has rarely worked for me! I hope it's improved a bit. Well, a lot!

3. The meal service and refreshment service was quite poor on my last flight flight early this year - I remember from years ago an almost constant stream of water/juice and snacks and the meal service was a bit more coordinated and timely.

4. Punctuality - was always reasonable and delays were quite rare. However, a couple of flights over the last 16 months had delays of 30+ minutes.

1) Yeah still 48hrs !
2) Works sometimes , but still very hit and miss. However does work if you have the patience to try get on the internet , i sometimes get spam amount of whatsapp notification all at once that have been backlogged then they finally get sent a hour later when my phone reconnects for quick 1 min again ! EK now charges for WIFI btw.

3) Last time i flew EK Y was in July , food was okay , but nothing that blew my socks off ! You can review your flights menu 30 days before hand via Ek.com , that will give you a indication of what to expect. I always go in with really low expectations , then whatever i get it a bonus , this usually leaves me feeling satisfied.

4) Depends on route and so many other factors .

I usually think EK is kinda overrated in Y , but they get the job done better then most airlines so just sit back and enjoy
Old Nov 7, 17, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold

Specific things:

WiFi is significantly better on 777s. I find EK Tom be quite punctual overall, rarely an issue with being late for a connection, and in about 50 connections with EK in DXB total (very rough estimate for my flying in last 4 years) I've never ever missed a connection.
​​​​​​
just ask for drinks, they can be quite quiet on night flights and not offer much, but regularly bring two of the drinks requested without you asking for it, so you don't have to bother them too often. Meal service is way too slow for my liking. On a 6.5hr flight you can actually get to sleep 3hrs in

Originally Posted by Flame3601 View Post
1) Yeah still 48hrs !
2) Works sometimes , but still very hit and miss. However does work if you have the patience to try get on the internet , i sometimes get spam amount of whatsapp notification all at once that have been backlogged then they finally get sent a hour later when my phone reconnects for quick 1 min again ! EK now charges for WIFI btw.

3) Last time i flew EK Y was in July , food was okay , but nothing that blew my socks off ! You can review your flights menu 30 days before hand via Ek.com , that will give you a indication of what to expect. I always go in with really low expectations , then whatever i get it a bonus , this usually leaves me feeling satisfied.

4) Depends on route and so many other factors .

I usually think EK is kinda overrated in Y , but they get the job done better then most airlines so just sit back and enjoy
WiFi is free for Skywards members in all classes. I think this includes Blue. Not seen a definitive report.

Of all classes Y is where EK is not overrated if you ask me. It's consistently better than other airlines in Y, just in terms of overall product and especially IFE.
Old Nov 7, 17, 9:59 am

Programs: Skywards Blue
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
WiFi is free for Skywards members in all classes. I think this includes Blue. Not seen a definitive report.
Can confirm. Skywards Blue here, connected to WiFi, signed into Skywards and it started the session and was perfectly usable, loaded everything I tried to. Averaged around 4 Mbps down, so don't expect to be able to stream HD content, but social media, emails and instant messaging apps will work just fine.
Old Nov 7, 17, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post

Of all classes Y is where EK is not overrated if you ask me. It's consistently better than other airlines in Y, just in terms of overall product and especially IFE.
Yeah you are right , my mistake ! IFE is where EK rocks the socks out of other airlines , however with my other trips in Y on other airlines i have found EK to be quite on par with their competing airlines. Maybe too many F/J trips and should try reinstall reality into myself ?
Old Nov 7, 17, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to the EK experience!
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 17, 10:30 am

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to the EK experience!
Do let us know how it goes , maybe consider a trip report for the community section of Flyertalk !

Safe and enjoyable journey rumbataz none the less
Old Nov 7, 17, 10:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Look out though, they serve alcohol, so it might not be too your taste
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:20 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by
3) Last time i flew EK Y was in July , food was okay , but nothing that blew my socks off ! You can review your flights menu 30 days before hand via Ek.com , that will give you a indication of what to expect. [B
I always go in with really low expectations , then whatever i get it a bonus[/B] , this usually leaves me feeling satisfied.
Over the years I have found this to be the best method. To the point where nine times out of 10 I will be fairly happy with an economy flight. As a completely self funded gold member, i'm normally left frustrated after a J flight where expectations are a lot higher with the amount of money involved.
Old Nov 7, 17, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Look out though, they serve alcohol, so it might not be too your taste

I'll be absorbing the irony of the Qibla arrow on the map display being shown as the alcohol is served.
ps107 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flame3601 View Post
Do let us know how it goes , maybe consider a trip report for the community section of Flyertalk !

Safe and enjoyable journey rumbataz none the less
Thank you!

Yes, will do. I know many of the frequenters of this section never see Economy but I imagine plenty of browsers of this forum do fly EK Economy.

I have very fond memories of the EK Economy product from about 18 years ago. It was surreal in those days in terms of the level and quality of the service. But having said that, Economy tickets were in the region of 650GBP rather than around 400GBP these days.
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:35 pm

Thank you!

Yes, will do. I know many of the frequenters of this section never see Economy but I imagine plenty of browsers of this forum do fly EK Economy.

I have very fond memories of the EK Economy product from about 18 years ago. It was surreal in those days in terms of the level and quality of the service. But having said that, Economy tickets were in the region of 650GBP rather than around 400GBP these days.
As always, EK Y can be relatively hit and miss in the soft product, but the hard product is now relatively consistent with newer ICE.

It will get you to the destination without undue hassle - in terms of service, I've found it's a carrier (in Y) that suits people who don't mind direct interaction: more often than not they are very happy to help out and friendly, but you have to initiate.

Wifi is only unlimited free in Y for Gold and Platinum members - Silver gets a discount, but everyone who signs up gets 20MB free.

It is generally slow as these days you'll get 30-50 pax on it, and the bandwidth is officially 800kbps on an A380 and 1Mbps (according to the leaflet card in seat pockets), but they do some solid compression/caching on board and across their backhaul network.
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:52 pm

Programs: EK Plat
Agreed with externaltransit on the soft product but I think this is across all cabins.

I flew last week from Europe-Dubai on an A380 in Y and the service was superb. Now I'm usually not a fan of the individual greeting but the CSV came over pre-departure and noted my desire to be left alone and sleep.

A few hours before landing, I woke up and went to the galley to get a glass of water where she happened to be. Without prompting she said "I'm so sorry, I thought you were sleeping, can we heat up a meal for you?" I declined but the offer was genuine. Dine on demand in Y? Who would have thought... Granted, I'm an EK Plat but from what I saw with other passengers, all the crew really were attentive and I've sent in a compliment message.

On the other hand, a few days before that, similarly Europe-DXB on an A380 in J, the service was abysmal. I suspect the crew serving the area I was sat was on reserve from Y because he seemed totally clueless, borderline rude in his manner and unkempt.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: