Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How is Emirates Economy these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is Emirates Economy these days?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by Will08
I flew yesterday, I asked to upgrade as soon as I was on board as I knew there was only a few seats left in J. The guy who greeted me at the door was really professional. He immediately called someone over to take over at the door and proceeded to call through to the purser. After a few attempts the purser answered and I listened to my request go through. The response or at least the way he was spoken to obviously shocked him from the look on his face and for my benefit he repeated what the purser said. "So you want me to tell the customer who is concerned there is only a couple of seats left, that you are too busy right now and to try again once we have taken off?" The purser must have hung up without responding. To be fair to the guy, he then tried looking on his ipad screen thing for seat availability but sadly it wasn't working.

I thanked him for his efforts and waited at my seat. After ground crew had been requested to leave, he came and found me at my seat to see if the purser had been down. After I had said no he had a discussion with another lady who then called through to the purser.

Bearing in mind I could only hear her responses I can only surmise what the questions were.. "Yes I am aware he was told to wait until after take off but that it not usually what happens" "Yes he has enough miles" "Yes, I have told you he is a platinum member so yes he is silver or above". With a confused look she turns to me and asks if I happen to have my card with me but before I could respond she replies that it is not required and that she has seen my miles balance already!

Whilst we were taxiing the purser eventually came down only to go through all the same things with me that I knew he already knew. He spoke like he was doing me a huge favour and tried making out as though he had only just received the request. Annoyed at this point I told him I knew that was a lie and so did everyone else sat around me who by now had been listening to the longest miles upgrade in history!

The issues did not end there but thats for another time. Although on a positive note the cabin supervisor was really good. He came and introduced himself and then himself and the girls serving my side were constantly checking it I wanted another drink and had replacements there before I had even finished - its been a while since I have had crew do that (but it has also been a while since I had alcohol on board).

The long winded point I am making is that service experience can vary hugely during a one particular flight never mind the inconstancies you may encounter throughout the year. And that is not just in one particular cabin class either.

Finally, whilst talking about things we miss, I really wish they would bring back the huge glass bowls they used to have at the entrances to the lounges filled with Lindor!
Good work and effort by the CSV. While I agree with m3red that during boarding they may be busy, they do have procedures in place to do this then. This is why the CSV moved away from the door and have another crew stand there as there should be crew at ML1/ML2/UL1 during boarding at all times. If you have the time, write in about this purser.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Good work and effort by the CSV. While I agree with m3red that during boarding they may be busy, they do have procedures in place to do this then. This is why the CSV moved away from the door and have another crew stand there as there should be crew at ML1/ML2/UL1 during boarding at all times. If you have the time, write in about this purser.
I agree, the purser should be named and shamed. If they can't respond appropriately to the pressure, they shouldn't be in that job. At the end of the day, it's the passengers, his customers, who pay his salary.

I think Will08 was remarkably patient, hats off to him! I'd like to think I could be so patient but I'm not sure. I have never come close to losing my cool on board, but this one would test me. It's the lies that make me ropeable.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by m3red
So when did you finally get the seat?

Its always a bit of a difficult time to process an upgrade when they are trying to board 500 plus people. Why didn’t you sort it out in the lounge?
I have waited to upgrade on board in case I get an opup at the gate. I get that boarding is a busy time but upgrade on board is an offered service so the purser should be able to handle this easily. I've never received the kind of response the OP got but I was once asked to wait till after takeoff for J-F upgrade as there were likely to be opups and when I checked again after takeoff was politely told F was full. As always a good or bad crew/crewmember can really impact your experience.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
AFAIK there is no APD to be paid if upgrading on board.At the lounge I had to pay APD the last time I did it for ex UK flights.

So if you are gold and above ( lounge access anyway) it makes sense to upgrade onboard.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
For the reasons a couple of you have mentioned is why I upgrade on board, I have always thought you pay APD prior to boarding and also I play the game to see if an op-up comes along. I have never once had to wait until after take off.

As for patience, well it has been tested quite a lot over the last year. I started the new year with my luggage missing my connection for the third time in 11 months. What was more frustrating this time was that the aircraft was delayed from departing due to other late arrivals from connections and they waited for the luggage. Half way in to the flight the purser came around to let me know my luggage hadn't arrived despite ground crew being adamant it was on board. Whilst they were happy to tell me it was on the next flight, this becomes irrelevant when it doesn't reach me until late the next day. This resulted in shorts and t shirt attire from landing until 5pm the following day...

Whilst I understand luggage cannot always make it, especially on the tight connection I normally have, mine was the only one out of 8 passengers from BKK where it didn't make it. It is no coincidence that the other bags made it from passengers in first and business yet my luggage with "platinum priority" did not play a part.

I have the same connection this morning but im in J today, time will tell if the same occurs...
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Luggage will never cease to amaze me. I checked in 2 pieces (I know..), both were given priority tag and barcode, 1 arrived with all the J bags, 1 arrived 30min (!) later with the Y bags.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:42 am

So this time EK went one better.. neither I or my bags made the connection. This is infuriating for two reasons. One I strolled to the gate even though I had already been told I had been taken off, only to watch pax still casually boarding, therefore at least I could have made it but probably not my luggage. Secondly my flight departed 4 MINUTES late from BKK and I was notified by emirates about my flight change only a few hours into the flight which means I was never going to make the connection according to EK so why offer it me?

Is it any surprise that flyer talk is showing F0 J0 Y0 for my original connection.... but I didn’t get IDB...
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:45 am
Suspended

So this time EK went one better.. neither I or my bags made the connection. This is infuriating for two reasons. One I strolled to the gate even though I had already been told I had been taken off, only to watch pax still casually boarding, therefore at least I could have made it but probably not my luggage. Secondly my flight departed 4 MINUTES late from BKK and I was notified by emirates about my flight change only a few hours into the flight which means I was never going to make the connection according to EK so why offer it me?

Is it any surprise that flyer talk is showing F0 J0 Y0 for my original connection.... but I didn’t get IDB...
Probably an overzealous agent...

Depending on the time you checked it shows f0 j0 y0 if the flight has been finalized (t-1)

I've managed to get myself onloaded again but only had hand luggage, I did lose my original seat assignment however.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by thijsseh
I have not travelled EK in economy for over a year now and before that only sporadically, so I can't reliably comment on the decline. I must however say that friends and family who have flown Emirates and other airlines economy cabins recently, still find Emirates significantly better. To be specific: I am referring to BA and KLM. Although sad, it would be understandable from a commercial point of view to keep the standards just a bit above the crowd, but not spend more money than is necessary to do so.
I think the point you make is exactly what is happening. I wouldn't fly BA if they gave me a free flight. I just wish for some of the Emirates magic to be restored. I'm sure it's great in Business and First, but Economy is withering. I wish some of the hard-to-describe-in-words Emirates magic was restored.

Perhaps Emirates could source more UAE and more experienced crew for Economy, but I imagine all the top crew talent is now solely reserved for Business and First class.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by rumbataz
I think the point you make is exactly what is happening. I wouldn't fly BA if they gave me a free flight. I just wish for some of the Emirates magic to be restored. I'm sure it's great in Business and First, but Economy is withering. I wish some of the hard-to-describe-in-words Emirates magic was restored.

Perhaps Emirates could source more UAE and more experienced crew for Economy, but I imagine all the top crew talent is now solely reserved for Business and First class.
Upstairs can be as unpredictable as Y unfortunately and at times worse. The staff in F and J have been with EK longer so where they improve in terms of experience they deteriorate in terms of enthusiasm. You get some great crews upstairs and you get some great crews downstairs, I wouldn't say one is more predictable than the other.

Also to add, as a plat it is also no different. You could have one flight where you are spoken to by name and are treated like royalty throughout the flight then on your following connection you are not even acknowledged as a plat.

I doubt any other companies are any more consistent, I guess you just have to choose an airline for different factors.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Upstairs can be as unpredictable as Y unfortunately and at times worse. The staff in F and J have been with EK longer so where they improve in terms of experience they deteriorate in terms of enthusiasm. You get some great crews upstairs and you get some great crews downstairs, I wouldn't say one is more predictable than the other.

Also to add, as a plat it is also no different. You could have one flight where you are spoken to by name and are treated like royalty throughout the flight then on your following connection you are not even acknowledged as a plat.

I doubt any other companies are any more consistent, I guess you just have to choose an airline for different factors.
I can't really comment on Y crews, but I can definitely confirm that crews upstairs can be very variable. From unnecessarily obsequious to charming to downright rude for no reason.

Its just pot luck what you end up with, and it's always best to just go with the flow and never get upset.

Last edited by BadoRas; Jan 29, 2020 at 7:49 am
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:08 pm

Just flown EK from BKK to HKG last week. I was disappointed.

1) Boarding: the male crew stationed at A380 L2 door greeted every passengers by name. No more Menu distribution snd hot towel service.

2) Meal Service: No meal choice. The crew serving my aisle just put the meal tray on my table without saying anything. A piece of KitKat was preset on.the meal tray.
( I was abit shocked as EK no longer offer meal choices in Y class on this flight. And the crew didnt name the meal to passenger. I think it would be nice to let passenger know what they are going to eat?)

3) Drink Service: Drink serve together with meal. Only Red Wine/ White Wine/ Beer/ 1.5L Pepsi and 7 up/Orange Juice/Apple Juice available. Tomato Juice upon request.

4) Collection of meal together with Tea/Coffee service.

I remember when.i flown EK on the same route in 2012 also by the same A380. The service was excellent and memorable:

1) Boarding: Hot Towel service followed by Menu distribution

2) After Take-off: Drink Cart service with Nuts. Full selection of drinks including Mango Juice/ Pineapple Juice/ Can of Coke. And you can pay usd7 for a glass of Champagne.

3) Meal cart followed drink cart with full selection of drinks on the cart top. Crew who was responsible for meal tray distribution verbally offered drinks to passenger again.
2 meal choices with a piece of Godiva Chocolate on the tray.

4) Tea/Coffee service offered by hand with a fancy silver serving tray.

5) Collection of Meal tray.

All of the above showed the differences between 2012 and 2019. You can see nowadays EK is trying the best to cut cost in Y class. I talked to the crew who served my area. He said that all the changes is not about cost cutting. Its all about flight time limitation. As flight time only last for 2hrs something. Its impossible to offer 2 meal choices in Y class. Cabin Crew will not be able to finish the service. When I heard this explaination. I wanna laugh out loud. I want to ask him to fly Cathay Pacific and Thai Airways on the same route to see how their crew run the service with 2 hot entree choices and HD ice creams. Or ask his senior how they managed to work in the old days. Lol

I observed something weird. The crew on my flight had a habit to collect unconsumed cuplet juices/ water/ Kitkat from meal tray when they were doing collections. I hardly ever see EK crew did that in the past. When passengers asked for water. The crew offered those "recycled" cuplet water to them. I think this is one of the cost cutting measures that company requested crew to follow?

Only thing that didnt change at all is the Inflight entertainment system. I like it so much!

Last edited by tabeko; Jan 30, 2020 at 4:43 pm
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by BadoRas
I can't really comment on Y crews, but I can definitely confirm that crews upstairs can be very variable. From unnecessarily obsequious to charming to downright rude for no reason.

Its just pot luck what you end up with, and it's always best to just go with the flow and never get upset.
The turnover rate is high in EK so I dont have any expectation on their crew. Just dont show me a long face would be good enough.
BadoRas likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by kq747
Not sure about donkeys but I recall the hot towels at the start of the flights (at least for ULH) were cut in 2017 but they kept the second hot towel service. Cant remember when the square chocolates went away but I am going to guess it was when they changed the meal tray shape? I do miss them...

Yes me too! i miss the good.old.days when.flying EK!!
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by tabeko
Just flown EK from BKK to HKG last week. I was disappointed.

1) Boarding: the male crew stationed at A380 L2 door greeted every passengers by name. No more Menu distribution snd hot towel service.

2) Meal Service: No meal choice. The crew serving my aisle just put the meal tray on my table without saying anything. A piece of KitKat was preset on.the meal tray.
( I was abit shocked as EK no longer offer meal choices in Y class on this flight. And the crew didnt name the meal to passenger. I think it would be nice to let passenger know what they are going to eat?)

3) Drink Service: Drink serve together with meal. Only Red Wine/ White Wine/ Beer/ 1.5L Pepsi and 7 up/Orange Juice/Apple Juice available. Tomato Juice upon request.

4) Collection of meal together with Tea/Coffee service.

I remember when.i flown EK on the same route in 2012 also by the same A380. The service was excellent and memorable:

1) Boarding: Hot Towel service followed by Menu distribution

2) After Take-off: Drink Cart service with Nuts. Full selection of drinks including Mango Juice/ Pineapple Juice/ Can of Coke. And you can pay usd7 for a glass of Champagne.

3) Meal cart followed drink cart with full selection of drinks on the cart top. Crew who was responsible for meal tray distribution verbally offered drinks to passenger again.
2 meal choices with a piece of Godiva Chocolate on the tray.

4) Tea/Coffee service offered by hand with a fancy silver serving tray.

5) Collection of Meal tray.

All of the above showed the differences between 2012 and 2019. You can see nowadays EK is trying the best to cut cost in Y class. I talked to the crew who served my area. He said that all the changes is not about cost cutting. Its all about flight time limitation. As flight time only last for 2hrs something. Its impossible to offer 2 meal choices in Y class. Cabin Crew will not be able to finish the service. When I heard this explaination. I wanna laugh out loud. I want to ask him to fly Cathay Pacific and Thai Airways on the same route to see how their crew run the service with 2 hot entree choices and HD ice creams. Or ask his senior how they managed to work in the old days. Lol

I observed something weird. The crew on my flight had a habit to collect unconsumed cuplet juices/ water/ Kitkat from meal tray when they were doing collections. I hardly ever see EK crew did that in the past. When passengers asked for water. The crew offered those "recycled" cuplet water to them. I think this is one of the cost cutting measures that company requested crew to follow?

Only thing that didnt change at all is the Inflight entertainment system. I like it so much!
EK used to serve premium scotch in Y till 3 or 4 years ago.(12 year old)

I was wondering how long it would last and now its standard scotch .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.