Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How is Emirates Economy these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is Emirates Economy these days?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Wifi did not work on my last two flights. As these were my very first two flights with EK I was very surprised (not by the wifi not working).
I haven't had better economy flights ever. First flight RUH-DXB was on 777-200LR, fully booked. The breakfast in economy was better than breakfast in business in United or Lufthansa.
I've rated it as second best economy class meal on any of my 700 flights. Swiss ZRH-DXB takes the cake for the first place meal in eco.
Lots of leg room, 3000 shows to watch and most of all, FRIENDLY and helpful flight attendants.
Both flights were 1.5hr long, and they manage to service all passengers with hot meal, drink service, hot drink service. First flight was on 777-200LR and return on 777-300ER.
What I'm used to hear on United's flight which are 2 hours long; "Because of the short duration of the flight, we will not be performing drink service..."
Seriously, I am very impressed with Emirates.
Now I also know why US3 are fighting with EK and QR. They simply cannot compete with them because most of the flight attendants are lazy. Only about 10% of UA flight attendants are really hard working and down to earth employees. Rest of them are there just so they can collect the check.
thijsseh and skywardhunter like this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Wifi did not work on my last two flights. As these were my very first two flights with EK I was very surprised (not by the wifi not working).
I haven't had better economy flights ever. First flight RUH-DXB was on 777-200LR, fully booked. The breakfast in economy was better than breakfast in business in United or Lufthansa.
I've rated it as second best economy class meal on any of my 700 flights. Swiss ZRH-DXB takes the cake for the first place meal in eco.
Lots of leg room, 3000 shows to watch and most of all, FRIENDLY and helpful flight attendants.
Both flights were 1.5hr long, and they manage to service all passengers with hot meal, drink service, hot drink service. First flight was on 777-200LR and return on 777-300ER.
What I'm used to hear on United's flight which are 2 hours long; "Because of the short duration of the flight, we will not be performing drink service..."
Seriously, I am very impressed with Emirates.
Now I also know why US3 are fighting with EK and QR. They simply cannot compete with them because most of the flight attendants are lazy. Only about 10% of UA flight attendants are really hard working and down to earth employees. Rest of them are there just so they can collect the check.
​​​​​​
the WiFi can be tricky and occasionally doesn't work but as both flights were on 777s I'm surprised you had such poor luck as I find the 777 WiFi to be great while the A380 WiFi is barely usable. If you're struggling to connect try typing in and visiting this website address in your browser (mobile or laptop): onair.onboard (key is to try visit a non-SSL website as the SSL encryption prevents the redirect to the WiFi login page.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
An okay experience in EK Economy this week. Boarding was a little better than usual with Zones being more strictly controlled by the gate staff at LHR. The flight itself was generally fine. However, the meal service was extraordinarily slow due to the sheer number of special meals being handed out. Once again, there was no choice of meal as they had run out of the beef dish so only had chicken when they got to about halfway down my cabin section. The meal itself was quite nice for an Economy meal.

The last time that I remember having a choice for the main meal must have been around a decade ago! These days they seem to run out of choices very quickly.

One of the female cabin crew members fell down and twisted her ankle. I hope she’s okay as she seemed to be in some distress.

We landed a few minutes late as we departed quite late.

There was chaos at DXB T3 passport control. The eGates were only working for GCC passport holders, at least that’s what I was told. I had to queue for almost an hour in one of the main immigration lines to clear passport control. In fact, the queues were so long that by the time I reached he baggage carousel, all bags from my A380 flight had already been delivered! However, the queues were nothing to do with Emirates.

Overall, quite an acceptable EK Economy flight.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:31 am

I asked for OJ with my breakfast for my ISB-DXB flight a couple of days ago. There was enough in the carton for about 2cm in the glass. She said she had run out of OJ on the cart, handed me the 25% full glass and then moved on to the next passenger. Not a big issue, but not the greatest service.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Resurrecting this thread to see how Emirates Economy is these days. I'm travelling again in a few months and hoping that the service has been tidied up a little since my last experience from March 2018, although it wasn't too bad back then - just a little rough around the edges in some areas. I remember these things that were not so great back then so I'm hoping they're a bit better now:

1. Lack of meal choices;

2. Very slow meal service due to so much time spent on handing out special meals;

3. DXB T3 passport control - would I still be able to use the eGates (I couldn't last year but can't remember the reason)?

4. The number of ill-mannered 'chavs' on the flight who think they're travelling to Magaluf.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Resurrecting this thread to see how Emirates Economy is these days. I'm travelling again in a few months and hoping that the service has been tidied up a little since my last experience from March 2018, although it wasn't too bad back then - just a little rough around the edges in some areas. I remember these things that were not so great back then so I'm hoping they're a bit better now:

1. Lack of meal choices;

2. Very slow meal service due to so much time spent on handing out special meals;

3. DXB T3 passport control - would I still be able to use the eGates (I couldn't last year but can't remember the reason)?

4. The number of ill-mannered 'chavs' on the flight who think they're travelling to Magaluf.
ive been on approx long haul 9 [economy] EK flights in the last year and they have been fab. They do sometimes go out their way (I’ve yet to be let down when asking for more cheese board) and even when I’ve asked for chocolates (out with meal services), the FA has come back with a duty free bag with loads of goodies inside it.

of my 9 trips, I can only recall one instance of chavs heading to Magaluf and that was on the new EDI to DXB route.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Great to hear!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:27 pm
twr

Just done jhb dxb HKG dxb and now sitting in DXB waiting to go back to jhb. First time on th A380 and found it more spacious than the 773.managed to get emergency seat upon checkin for some of the flights so that was great. ICE is brilliant no issues. Crew well its a hit an a miss, I've had some really helpful goes out of their way but not all ways. Food is very limited only a choice of 2 meat meals and then had a very small roll, they didn't even have cool drinks on the 0035 am flight from Hk, service was slow as well but I was happy overall except for the meals. But sitting in the lounge makes it worhit using my priority pass and a free shower at the lounge.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Did a return LHR-DXB flight in late April on board an A380. The Economy flight experience is slowly being chipped away at. No hot towel service on outbound or return flights. Meals slightly less substantial. Felt more like a bus service. Ticket price seems to be going up every year. Not great, not disappointing either. Not very memorable, but got the job done.

Crew seemed to be frustrated by continuous call button requests for more drinks from a small group of people dotted around the cabin section that I was seated in, and I can't blame them.

A very, very long way away from a decade ago in terms of cabin ambience, crew quality, meal quality and the little finishing touches that made Emirates Economy so great. No other options for me on an A380 for the LHR-DXB direct route as far as I am aware.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Did a return LHR-DXB flight in late April on board an A380. The Economy flight experience is slowly being chipped away at. No hot towel service on outbound or return flights. Meals slightly less substantial. Felt more like a bus service. Ticket price seems to be going up every year. Not great, not disappointing either. Not very memorable, but got the job done.

Crew seemed to be frustrated by continuous call button requests for more drinks from a small group of people dotted around the cabin section that I was seated in, and I can't blame them.

A very, very long way away from a decade ago in terms of cabin ambience, crew quality, meal quality and the little finishing touches that made Emirates Economy so great. No other options for me on an A380 for the LHR-DXB direct route as far as I am aware.
I had two great flights in Economy recently, primarily due to great crew. Haven't noticed changes in meals. The hot towel has been gone for a while, unfortunately, I think it makes appearances on ULH routes sometimes, not exactly sure. But I like the chocolates they provide in the galley on ULH flights.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Just had 4 flights with them on LGW/LHR - DXB.

Friendly and good looking crew (I could not resist to make this comment - likely not politically correct). Was lucky and sitting no one next to me most time so enjoyed for Y standards plenty of space.

Had a Y JFK - LHR on BA on a fully booked flight was it was dreadful compared to EK (lousy crew, bad food, cramped, horrible IFE).

Food was ok - crew does sometimes one or 2 drink rounds, but simply went to galley and was always served. If you ring them via button they always respond immediately.
In the end, much better than BA and very much better than any UA/ AA flight in Y.

Given the price the charge, I'll take them any day over BA (especially for A380 flights).
Old May 13, 2019, 10:23 am

Had to ask them to replenish the bathrooms with toilet paper a couple of times on my last flight.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Just had 4 flights with them on LGW/LHR - DXB.

Friendly and good looking crew (I could not resist to make this comment - likely not politically correct). Was lucky and sitting no one next to me most time so enjoyed for Y standards plenty of space.

Had a Y JFK - LHR on BA on a fully booked flight was it was dreadful compared to EK (lousy crew, bad food, cramped, horrible IFE).

Food was ok - crew does sometimes one or 2 drink rounds, but simply went to galley and was always served. If you ring them via button they always respond immediately.
In the end, much better than BA and very much better than any UA/ AA flight in Y.

Given the price the charge, I'll take them any day over BA (especially for A380 flights).
Post that on the BA forum... tell them I sent you*

*Joke
Tanzguy, thijsseh, m3red and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Post that on the BA forum... tell them I sent you*

*Joke
Haha! I simply will vote with my wallet and change my BA Gold into EK Gold this year (I think the level of harassment in the BA forum would be too much at this point).

Or maybe not, but just a waste of my time

(lol - but I appreciate the patriotism of flying the flag)
Old May 14, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I believe the hot towel is gone from ULH too.

There is no doubt that the airline has been cutting back on Economy service with fares not being that great of deal either. I have been traveling EK off and on since I had to go US-LON to even get the EK flight before the USA direct service started.

What has gotten better in Economy is the size of the ICE screen and the A380 layout including the massive open space in the front of the plane on the lower level (which probably isn't that profitable to the airline anyway...).

I don't see a point in expecting the Economy service to improve when QR and EY have also been trying to cut and streamline the service as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.