Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How is Emirates Economy these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is Emirates Economy these days?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:00 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

There's no breakfast as far as I know on the LHR-DXB flights. So your moaning about the 'alcoholics' doesn't really stand up.

I really think you should try EgyptAir or Suadia. They are dry airlines which would suit your obvious issues when it comes to people drinking alcohol.
daisymay2 and sydtogla like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm not one for blindly defending Ek, in fact I could spend hours complaining about them but this goes back to expectation management again.

Service from 15 years ago cant be comparable to the service of today especially when you consider the number of pax travelling on an a380.

What is surreal and ironic about some one praying whilst others are served alcohol? It is of course the 21st century with a buzz word called multiculturalism..
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I flew EK economy earlier this year after a break of about 3 years. My opinion is that it's still one of the best. The newer A380s with the large screens are very impressive, and ICE is still probably the best economy IFE system (at least in my experience). Food is still tasty but meal sizes seem to have been reduced.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
An update to my EK Economy review based on the return leg (DXB-LHR). Aircraft type was once again the A380. This was a mid-afternoon flight.

There was a technical problem on the ground related to the cooling system for the galleys (where the ovens are). This caused a fair amount of delay on the ground but some of this delay was made up in the air so we eventually landed at LHR around 15 minutes late.

The service itself was much better. I would say this was down to a more professional cabin crew and better behaved passengers on the whole. Boarding was efficient but due to the technical problem, take-off was quite delayed. We were kept informed by the captain at regular intervals.

The seatbelt sign was turned off as quickly as possible and the main meal service began not too long after take-off. The service was courteous and efficient. The meal itself was not that good, sadly. The cabin was then darkened for those who wanted to sleep. The flight was quite uneventful with the cabin crew behaving professionally throughout the flight. This was in marked contrast to my outbound flight.

There were fewer passengers getting legless so call-button requests for endless booze were not as noticeable.

I tried the Internet and it's free for Blue members for 2 hours up to 20MB of data. The 2-hour clock starts ticking as soon as you connect. It was okay for sending a few messages to friends and family via various messaging apps.

There were a couple of refreshment services during the flight, and the second light meal service was served around two hours before landing. Note that on the outbound leg the advertised second light meal service was not served.

So, despite the technical problem delaying the flight, this leg was far better. I think a combination of better quality passengers (fewer chavs getting drunk) and a far, far better crew on board who worked professionally, punctually and efficiently during the flight contributed to this. There were flashes of the glorious EK of old during this leg, so well done to Emirates this time around.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rumbataz
An update to my EK Economy review based on the return leg (DXB-LHR). Aircraft type was once again the A380. This was a mid-afternoon flight.

There was a technical problem on the ground related to the cooling system for the galleys (where the ovens are). This caused a fair amount of delay on the ground but some of this delay was made up in the air so we eventually landed at LHR around 15 minutes late.

The service itself was much better. I would say this was down to a more professional cabin crew and better behaved passengers on the whole. Boarding was efficient but due to the technical problem, take-off was quite delayed. We were kept informed by the captain at regular intervals.

The seatbelt sign was turned off as quickly as possible and the main meal service began not too long after take-off. The service was courteous and efficient. The meal itself was not that good, sadly. The cabin was then darkened for those who wanted to sleep. The flight was quite uneventful with the cabin crew behaving professionally throughout the flight. This was in marked contrast to my outbound flight.

There were fewer passengers getting legless so call-button requests for endless booze were not as noticeable.

I tried the Internet and it's free for Blue members for 2 hours up to 20MB of data. The 2-hour clock starts ticking as soon as you connect. It was okay for sending a few messages to friends and family via various messaging apps.

There were a couple of refreshment services during the flight, and the second light meal service was served around two hours before landing. Note that on the outbound leg the advertised second light meal service was not served.

So, despite the technical problem delaying the flight, this leg was far better. I think a combination of better quality passengers (fewer chavs getting drunk) and a far, far better crew on board who worked professionally, punctually and efficiently during the flight contributed to this. There were flashes of the glorious EK of old during this leg, so well done to Emirates this time around.

I wouldn't recommend you ever get a flight in J MAN - DXB, my flight a couple of days ago was full of "chavs" having a great time in the bar. Everyone were far too sociable, even had the audacity to not even wear a shirt and tie.
daisymay2, downtheback. and XXTSGR like this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Jet Airways JetPrivilege Platinum
I really thought the new economy class seats on the 777 were quite comfortable with a good recline.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:34 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Will08
I wouldn't recommend you ever get a flight in J MAN - DXB, my flight a couple of days ago was full of "chavs" having a great time in the bar. Everyone were far too sociable, even had the audacity to not even wear a shirt and tie.
Northerners are nice - accept it
Will08 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by Will08
Shock horror

J class just isn't what it used to be anymore - and then this flying pub!!!

I shall never fly J again on EK
Will08 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Was referring to J/F , Y is just game of do i want it or not ?
the EK meals in Y on SEL+Japan routes can be very decent, there is also attractive but basic amenity kit.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
the EK meals in Y on SEL+Japan routes can be very decent, there is also attractive but basic amenity kit.
True , J/F is also got some special catering that goes against the normal catering provided within the EK network. https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...-japan-onboard
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
One day, when I've saved up enough pennies, I might fly J and tut at all the drunks at the bar.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:44 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by rumbataz
One day, when I've saved up enough pennies, I might fly J and tut at all the drunks at the bar.
Just be careful. Once you fly J and get an op up to F (as happened to the Mrs and me), you start to think J isn’t good enough and begin to look for F ‘opportunities ‘. If I did not have a sensible Mrs, I might be close to broke by now 😏😥😳
gillyd22 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
Yes meals on the SEL flights can be decent but they've been using the same 2 menus for the last 2 years! I just want something else
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by corbomite
Yes meals on the SEL flights can be decent but they've been using the same 2 menus for the last 2 years! I just want something else
Write in - eventually it will get to the guy in DXB who decides menus!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:35 pm

Just flew BNE-DXB and DXB-COP in Y
A380 on both flights.
Plane was packed on both sectors
First leg, the seat in Y wasn't comfortable
Second leg, seemed like a newer A380 and the Y seat wasn't actually too bad.
Food + drink was fine, ICE was great.
All in all was a great trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.