FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   New Dine on Demand - J class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1875856-new-dine-demand-j-class.html)

SimpleDXB Nov 5, 2017 3:52 am

New Dine on Demand - J class

Hi All

Has anyone experienced the trial of dine-on-demand in J class? EK have been trialling this on certain routes of late, so I would anticipate this will be introduced in the new year. There have been some trials on some Oz routes, and more trials on other ULH routes this month.

Shame they can't fix their crappy 777 J class seats whilst they're at it..!

Happy flying guys..

skywardhunter Nov 5, 2017 4:59 am

Originally Posted by SimpleDXB (Post 29020261)
Hi All

Has anyone experienced the trial of dine-on-demand in J class? EK have been trialling this on certain routes of late, so I would anticipate this will be introduced in the new year. There have been some trials on some Oz routes, and more trials on other ULH routes this month.

Shame they can't fix their crappy 777 J class seats whilst they're at it..!

Happy flying guys..

That's a nice improvement, haven't heard or seen any official statement of this anywhere.

They are fixing the J seats unless you mean the new ones also suck?

m3red Nov 5, 2017 9:04 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29020405)
That's a nice improvement, haven't heard or seen any official statement of this anywhere.

They are fixing the J seats unless you mean the new ones also suck?

Thought they'd done this on us routes for a while

Coffee drinker Nov 5, 2017 2:00 pm

Had dine on demand on Ethiad once. Didn't like it at all. Prefer to have set meal times when everybody is eating. Otherwise constant noise throughout the flight.

sydtogla Nov 5, 2017 2:38 pm

Goodness I hope I get to be a part of this trial with some updated menus. My EU J class menus have not changed between 5 Sep and 20 Nov. Poor effort.

Flame3601 Nov 5, 2017 3:15 pm

Finally ! However can they just hurry up with the new F cabin thou !

skywardhunter Nov 5, 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Flame3601 (Post 29022455)
Finally ! However can they just hurry up with the new F cabin thou !

Thought I saw a report in the air frame thread that first frame with new F hast been delivered yesterday or today

OzTennis Nov 7, 2017 2:36 am

Originally Posted by sydtogla (Post 29022273)
Goodness I hope I get to be a part of this trial with some updated menus. My EU J class menus have not changed between 5 Sep and 20 Nov. Poor effort.

Does it matter? Unless you are flying often and eating the same thing time after time or don't like the choice which hasn't changed (which might change to something you like even less). ;)

skywardhunter Nov 7, 2017 2:37 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 29029334)
Does it matter? Unless you are flying often and eating the same thing time after time or don't like the choice which hasn't changed (which might change to something you like even less). ;)

It matters. I've been eating the same food in Y for the last week years. Rubbery chicken, rice, sultanas, cashews, same 2 or 3 sauces, it's extremely repetitive. With an average of 1 EK flight a week it gets old quick.

OzTennis Nov 7, 2017 2:44 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29029336)
It matters. I've been eating the same food in Y for the last week years. Rubbery chicken, rice, sultanas, cashews, same 2 or 3 sauces, it's extremely repetitive. With an average of 1 EK flight a week it gets old quick.

Yes, I implied frequent flyers will notice, less frequent pax like me don't so much. What I do know is that (for me) the main issue with Emirates food is that halal food is not as good as non-halal food - most of their meat is rubbery and comparatively tasteless. I'd get/do get better food on an airline from without the Middle East but all things considered (i.e. direct flights from GLA to MEL) it ticks enough boxes for me. I know they wouldn't for logistical reasons and probably religious reasons but how about a halal and a non-halal menu? They serve alcoholic drink after all so tenuous religious reasons for sticking to halal. For discussion purposes you understand. ;)

skywardhunter Nov 7, 2017 3:19 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 29029341)
Yes, I implied frequent flyers will notice, less frequent pax like me don't so much. What I do know is that (for me) the main issue with Emirates food is that halal food is not as good as non-halal food - most of their meat is rubbery and comparatively tasteless. I'd get/do get better food on an airline from without the Middle East but all things considered (i.e. direct flights from GLA to MEL) it ticks enough boxes for me. I know they wouldn't for logistical reasons and probably religious reasons but how about a halal and a non-halal menu? They serve alcoholic drink after all so tenuous religious reasons for sticking to halal. For discussion purposes you understand. ;)

Halal or not has no implication on the tenderness of the meat. It's purely the technique used in slaughter and preparation, and which parts of the animal might be excluded from further processing, the cow ultimately is the same cow.

extramileage Nov 7, 2017 5:23 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 29029341)

All restaurants in the UAE serve halal beef/lamb/chicken... and there's very good European, Australian, NZ, etc meat. So it's more about EK's catering or sourcing rather than whether it's halal or not.

OzTennis Nov 7, 2017 7:52 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29029410)
Halal or not has no implication on the tenderness of the meat. It's purely the technique used in slaughter and preparation, and which parts of the animal might be excluded from further processing, the cow ultimately is the same cow.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree. I'm not an experienced halal meat consumer; the only time I've had it is on Emirates flights and it's not as good as what it is on Qantas/BA/Cathay Pacific/Singapore flights that I've experienced so I can only put it down to halal. I'm also talking about the necessity to provide turkey bacon and sausages rather than 'real' ones.

skywardhunter Nov 7, 2017 8:00 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 29030162)
We'll probably have to agree to disagree. I'm not an experienced halal meat consumer; the only time I've had it is on Emirates flights and it's not as good as what it is on Qantas/BA/Cathay Pacific/Singapore flights that I've experienced so I can only put it down to halal. I'm also talking about the necessity to provide turkey bacon and sausages rather than 'real' ones.

Well factually it's not based in being halal. I often eat halal meat due to where I spend a lot of time. Literally the exact same chicken can be slaughtered halal or non-halal.

OzTennis Nov 7, 2017 8:31 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29030196)
Well factually it's not based in being halal. I often eat halal meat due to where I spend a lot of time. Literally the exact same chicken can be slaughtered halal or non-halal.

Yes, the chickens I prefer are slaughtered non-halal (and the ham, pork and bacon). The operative terms are preference, opinion and taste - little to do with fact. No comment on whether Emirates could offer a halal and non-halal option on the menu? Most of the flights I'm on, to and fro Scotland and to and fro Australia, the halal eaters are in the vast minority but that's obviously not true for most of their flights.