Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Dine on Demand - J class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yes, the chickens I prefer are slaughtered non-halal (and the ham, pork and bacon). The operative terms are preference, opinion and taste - little to do with fact. No comment on whether Emirates could offer a halal and non-halal option on the menu? Most of the flights I'm on, to and fro Scotland and to and fro Australia, the halal eaters are in the vast minority but that's obviously not true for most of their flights.
You think the specific method used to cut the chicken into two pieces, and throw out a foot, make a significant difference in taste? Especially in the breast which is pretty much the only part ever used by EK, a chicken breast is a chicken breast, if you use a ceramic knife it doesn't change the taste?

To be clear, halal has nothing to do with spices or different salt or anything... Though it seems the bacon is what's really bothering you...

Here's a good concise explanation:

What is halal meat? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27324224

EK would have to have separate slaughterhouses for non-halal, and probably can't easily or affordably acquire large quantities of fresh halal meal in the UAE (I'd expect non-halal slaughter to be forbidden in the UAE)

Last edited by skywardhunter; Nov 7, 2017 at 9:02 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yes, the chickens I prefer are slaughtered non-halal (and the ham, pork and bacon). The operative terms are preference, opinion and taste - little to do with fact. No comment on whether Emirates could offer a halal and non-halal option on the menu? Most of the flights I'm on, to and fro Scotland and to and fro Australia, the halal eaters are in the vast minority but that's obviously not true for most of their flights.
You might be surprised to find out that for standard catering supply - e.g. chicken breast fillets, it's all halal (because, as it doesn't taste different, and the only people who generally care so much on a regular basis are Muslims, it's more efficient to just source the whole chain as halal) so you've probably been to a restaurant you enjoy and had halal meat.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:12 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Also just realised that Caiarossa is not in J next week anymore. A pity, I thought it worked really well with all the halal food on the menu.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Also just realised that Caiarossa is not in J next week anymore. A pity, I thought it worked really well with all the halal food on the menu.
Can't tell how far your tongue is in cheek
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Can't tell how far your tongue is in cheek
Just landed from LHR - EK now started serving (halal pork) Bacon Rolls for brekkie.

I fondly remember being woken on landing on a JFK flight to LHR on the upper deck of a BA 747 with a warm bacon roll..

A big step forward from EK.

Hoping for Lancashire Hotpot made with Halal pork sausages on my next DXB-MAN flight.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by SimpleDXB
Just landed from LHR - EK now started serving (halal pork) Bacon Rolls for brekkie.

I fondly remember being woken on landing on a JFK flight to LHR on the upper deck of a BA 747 with a warm bacon roll..

A big step forward from EK.

Hoping for Lancashire Hotpot made with Halal pork sausages on my next DXB-MAN flight.
Halal PORK???
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:09 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by XXTSGR
Halal PORK???
Oh dear......
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:15 am

Halal PORK???
My thoughts, too...
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Halal PORK???
I believe these are "turkey rashers" - what is a "rasher" anyways?

FWIW I stayed at the Grosvenor House in JBR and the lounge breakfast had a pork corner with real streaky bacon.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:24 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Almost certain SimpleDXB was being sarcastic, and I can't believe people fell for it!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Metanoia
I believe these are "turkey rashers" - what is a "rasher" anyways?

FWIW I stayed at the Grosvenor House in JBR and the lounge breakfast had a pork corner with real streaky bacon.
but why would one call it pork, I'm sure some would take offense.

Pork and bacon would definitely be available at some high-end hotels in the UAE, but sourcing bulk quantities on a daily basis for EK catering might not be so easy, especially as the slaughter and processing would likely have to occur outside the UAE and the meat flown in every day or two. Plus the need for separate facilities in DXB to cook and process the products for the flights and presumably have a separate catering cart for it as well.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
but why would one call it pork, I'm sure some would take offense.

Pork and bacon would definitely be available at some high-end hotels in the UAE, but sourcing bulk quantities on a daily basis for EK catering might not be so easy, especially as the slaughter and processing would likely have to occur outside the UAE and the meat flown in every day or two. Plus the need for separate facilities in DXB to cook and process the products for the flights and presumably have a separate catering cart for it as well.
Totally hear you there, the scale they'd have to do it at and segregate it would be staggering, not to mention you'd have an Arab flag carrier serving pork... along side Dom and Paradis, so the hypocrisy is now complete!

And they couldn't print "All meals served are halal" anymore.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Almost certain SimpleDXB was being sarcastic, and I can't believe people fell for it!
Indeed... A bit like dine on demand in J.
Seat54 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
. . . . pork corner with real streaky bacon.
Another "foreign" horror. Back bacon is the way to go.
Seat54 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Indeed... A bit like dine on demand in J.
Lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.