Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

What is the EK policy if I get to the gate with a large suitcase?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

What is the EK policy if I get to the boarding gate and have a full-size suitcase; will they offer to take it from me and check it or is there another policy I am unaware of?

Also, what is the security policy at DXB for people with large bags? Will they gladly x-ray them?

747-444
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by 747-444
Hi All,

What is the EK policy if I get to the boarding gate and have a full-size suitcase; will they offer to take it from me and check it or is there another policy I am unaware of?

Also, what is the security policy at DXB for people with large bags? Will they gladly x-ray them?

747-444
I doubt you'd get to the gate with a full size bag...
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:04 am

At DXB they weigh bags at security. At the gate they might gate-check or they might charge you, credit cards accepted
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
I doubt you'd get to the gate with a full size bag...
I am in J with Qantas Platinum status. I am not worried about them checking it and taking it from me.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by 747-444
I am in J with Qantas Platinum status. I am not worried about them checking it and taking it from me.
No one said you were. But security might prevent you getting to the gate. Though the J Security didn't seem to care about hand baggage when I was there 2 days ago
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
No one said you were. But security might prevent you getting to the gate. Though the J Security didn't seem to care about hand baggage when I was there 2 days ago
Thanks. I hope security don't stop me. The truth is I have a very tight connection time in DXB. Two separate tickets from QF onto EK and am worried if I am a touch late what my options are.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Where is this?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Where is this?
I assume you mean which airport I will be boarding my flight - in DXB.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:08 pm

Meaning you intend to try to go through security in OZ and board the previous flight (on QF) with a full size bag? Or pick up a checked bag at DXB then try to get through security with it?

Interesting... never seen anyone try to take a full size bag through...but given the size of the scanners I suspect it wouldn't even fit.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by trooper
Meaning you intend to try to go through security in OZ and board the previous flight (on QF) with a full size bag? Or pick up a checked bag at DXB then try to get through security with it?

Interesting... never seen anyone try to take a full size bag through...but given the size of the scanners I suspect it wouldn't even fit.
He is starting in London rather than Sydney
Given that (iirc) bags in T3 have to fit into trays, I don't see it feasible to get through at LHR
At Dubai, if having to collect bags - if missing last time to checkin , if it is a large bag I would expect it not to get past security

If QF in LHR declines to check the bag through, at that point I would be contacting Qantas to rebook onto a later flight from Dubai
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:20 pm

Have you thought about where you intend to stow the large suitcase on the Qantas flight before reaching Dubai?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Descending
Have you thought about where you intend to stow the large suitcase on the Qantas flight before reaching Dubai?
I was going to say - even if you get it past security, which I doubt, if it doesn't go into an overhead, it will just be checked into the hold, necessitating collection via baggage reclaim...(unless you are a VVIP!).

If you pay the money (assuming no allowance).

If you don't pay then you aren't going anywhere!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:19 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Maybe the OP is intending to buy a large suitcase at DDF? I don’t see any other obvious way to get one airside.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Seems to be some confusion on the scenario. I think the OP means the following:

They have two separate PNRs, QF arriving DXB and EK departing. Ideal would be if QF were to interline the bag despite the two separate PNRs. But assuming that is not possible, they now have a checked bag on the QF flight.

Arrive DXB and pick up the bag. If time permits checking the bag with EK is easiest. But assume it is too late and they won't take the bag at the checkin counter. This is the main question. Can you get a full sized bag through security such that you can check the bag at the gate when it was too late to check the bag at the checkin desk.

Reasonable question IMO. OP, please correct if the above summary is inaccurate.

I also agree with the assessment that the DXB scanners may not be able to handle a bag of that size. I do remember doing this in a US airport years ago and it just just fit...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by vytas315
Seems to be some confusion on the scenario. I think the OP means the following:

They have two separate PNRs, QF arriving DXB and EK departing. Ideal would be if QF were to interline the bag despite the two separate PNRs. But assuming that is not possible, they now have a checked bag on the QF flight.

Arrive DXB and pick up the bag. If time permits checking the bag with EK is easiest. But assume it is too late and they won't take the bag at the checkin counter. This is the main question. Can you get a full sized bag through security such that you can check the bag at the gate when it was too late to check the bag at the checkin desk.

Reasonable question IMO. OP, please correct if the above summary is inaccurate.

I also agree with the assessment that the DXB scanners may not be able to handle a bag of that size. I do remember doing this in a US airport years ago and it just just fit...
I think if check-in at DXB won't take the bag one might be too late anyway and potentially off-loaded? They take a bag until 60mins before departure don't they, and boarding starts 45 mins before or so. If it's a low C gate OP will barely get there in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.