Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: extramileage
This is the thread for all outstation lounge comments, remarks, tips, or reviews.

There are two types of outstation lounge: Those branded by Emirates as dedicated EK lounges and partner lounges which are shared with other airlines. Feel free to share your experiences of either. Also, there may be alternative lounges that one can use (for example, QF in LHR or Ex-AUS). If you feel they are worthy of a visit, share away.

Some rules:
  • Please title your comments with this format: AIRPORT - DD-MM-YY - EKxxx
  • If you think your comment belongs in the lounges FAQ thread (which you can find via the forum dashboard), consider posting there.
  • This is not a general feedback thread for Emirates but is intended for the benefit of other travellers. If you have any concerns about lounges or service, contact EK directly.

Happy posting.

Index

Format [airport code] [lounge operator] [classes] ([name of city & country)
XX for lounge operator means contract lounge
F for class means first class
C for class means business class
- for class means not applicable

updated to post number 48.
Print Wikipost

The Outstation Lounges Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Jnb - 19.06.2017 - ek768

JNB has a dedicated EK lounge, given its 4 daily flights. The lounge as quite far down the international concourse, near the SAA Lounge. It is a pleasant lounge with a view of the A380 parking area that AF and BA usually use during the day, in the older lounge style with good WiFi and a pleasant food selection.

EK uses various different gates and it can be a 5 minute walk to the gate from the lounge on occasion.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:03 am

Great thread everyone!
An idea:

Including the Lounge WiFi Password for those stuck outside, but within WiFi range?

R
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Icn - 2017/10/02 - ek 323

Since EK is limited to 8 flights per week due to the terms of the South Korea - UAE treaties, and also because there is no space at the moment EK uses the Asiana Business Lounge for J/F. This is despite KE, not OZ, being the local partner. The lounge is for OZ, Star Alliance Gold, QR, EK and PP card holders.

Some people here may have heard that ICN is getting a new terminal for Skyteam members so when KE moves out OZ will get the space currently inhabited by KE. As a result OZ is just letting the lounge fall to pieces because they're going to be moving soon. Food offerings are limited to cup ramen, bread, salad, maybe 2-3 tasteless hot dishes and sandwiches. Current alcohol choices include 1 type of Korean draft beer, Jack Daniels, VSOP cognac, Smirnoff vodka, Beefeater Gin, one type of traditional Korean hard liquor, and one bottle each of red and white wine of questionable quality. Yes the food sucks but that has the unintentional effect of keeping most the PP card holders away.

There is a nice view of some of the gates and the satellite terminal, and there are shower rooms although I've never used them. It is a 5 minute walk to gates 43 or 46 which are the only two fully A380-compatible gates on the west side of the terminal.

Future hopes of a EK lounge are bleak because it's anticipated that when OZ moves their lounge, CX and SQ are going to have first dibs on the space formerly occupied by OZ.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by RichardAtCT
Great thread everyone!
An idea:

Including the Lounge WiFi Password for those stuck outside, but within WiFi range?

R
I disagree. You can send a PM rather. EK will Just Change passwords more often. They recently changed the CPT one (it used to be 12345678, how silly)
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I disagree. You can send a PM rather. EK will Just Change passwords more often. They recently changed the CPT one (it used to be 12345678, how silly)
I don't think they'll ever be changing the DXB one, considering how many metallic tabletop signs they have...
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
I don't think they'll ever be changing the DXB one, considering how many metallic tabletop signs they have...
They remake all the signs every couple of years when they change the password.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
They remake all the signs every couple of years when they change the password.
With all the cost cutting we'll get white labelmaker stickers this next cycle
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:16 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
SYD - 16-10-2017 - QF International J Lounge - EK8001/QF1

EK Plat and Gold, and F and J pax are eligible to use this lounge in SYD when flying on either QF or EK metal. The location of the lounge is central to the main airside concourse, but is incredibly inconvenient for those travelling on EK metal as the usual eK gate is around 900m away from the lounge.

The lounge has the traditional QF style contemporary decor, including a large marble bar and groups of cloth covered, slightly lumpy seats. The lounge is looking a bit tired now as it has endured very large footfall for nearly 9 years. They have a limited selection of food, usually salad bar, 2 hot meal options and a make your own cheese/meat board selection - The quality of the food is usually pretty good.

Here's why you might consider stopping by this lounge before going to the EK lounge:

The coffee is considerably better than the machine coffee in the EK lounge. Most of the day it is made by a barista.

They have a gelato stand which is a neat quirk.

They have self serve beer on tap (usually 2 Australian adjunct lagers and one more 'craft' style pale ale)

The lounge has views of the city in the distance and you can see the northern approach on a clear day.

I would not recommend foregoing the EK lounge for the QF J lounge. It lacks the exclusivity that the EK lounge affords. I was speaking with the chef in the (excellent) wine bar downstairs from the QF lounge and he says that his main customers are QF golds who can't get into the F lounge but are bored of the J offering. That said, if you are a lounge lizard with time to kill you might want to see some of the quirks on offer here.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
With all the cost cutting we'll get white labelmaker stickers this next cycle
You'd think something like putting the password on the flight information screen in the lounges would cross their minds...
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:50 am
Lux

Great idea. Once enough information appears, might it be helpful to add a list (by country or continent) at the top linking to individual airports? Or updating the wiki with this info? Happy to help.

Be good if the full airport name as well as initials can be used to help for searching, please...

(Agree on no posting of wifi passwords.)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:52 am
Lux

ISB (Islamabad)

This is the lounge I know best on the EK network. It's an airport-owned CIP lounge that gets extremely busy when Emirates, Qatar and Etihad all have 777s departing within an hour of each other.

The main benefit is armchairs rather than the bench seats outside, sandwiches of dubious origin and a Nescafe coffee machine. If you like your soft drinks in a glass bottle, you'll like this lounge. No booze of course. Since the queues at security can be very long if you turn up a couple of hours before a flights, it's worth heading here earlier and spending some time in the lounge. The wifi is ropey.

Pro tip: there is only one gate at the Islamabad international terminal, approached down a long ramp. The queues can be long. When your flight is called, walk back down the stairs next to the escalator and you'll appear towards the front of that queue.

Last edited by Lux; Oct 20, 2017 at 5:03 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:01 am
Lux

LGW (London Gatwick)

As nobody has mentioned this yet... the Emirates Gatwick lounge is on level 2 (down one floor) of the lounge pavilion at the North Terminal. The airport operator recently opened a hideous meandering entrance to the main terminal area through a duty free store - it is awful - but once you're through that, look for the large WH Smith and Boots stores to your left, and head in that direction. Take the corridor to the left of these shops and there are signs for the lounges on the right hand side. Go down one floor in the lift, or use the stairs. It's not far.

The staff here are always welcoming and good at recognising regular passengers. It's a standard latest generation lounge design with a wide range of hot food and a large dining area. Plenty of seating. No views.

If you're looking for some quiet, it's worth walking right around to the seating near the business area (left and left again from the hot buffet), there's another coffee machine and rarely anyone using their speakerphone for dull private conversation. It seems there's even a Bloomberg terminal here but I've never seen it on. There are high chairs if travelling with little'uns.

The main drawback of Gatwick is the schlep over the bridge to the A380 gate, you'll want to allow ten minutes for this. Once at the gate (which is split into three sections - families with children, J/F, and economy) there is limited seating but the boarding is always reasonably efficient.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by Lux
LGW (London Gatwick)

As nobody has mentioned this yet... the Emirates Gatwick lounge is on level 2 (down one floor) of the lounge pavilion at the North Terminal. The airport operator recently opened a hideous meandering entrance to the main terminal area through a duty free store - it is awful - but once you're through that, look for the large WH Smith and Boots stores to your left, and head in that direction. Take the corridor to the left of these shops and there are signs for the lounges on the right hand side. Go down one floor in the lift, or use the stairs. It's not far.

The staff here are always welcoming and good at recognising regular passengers. It's a standard latest generation lounge design with a wide range of hot food and a large dining area. Plenty of seating. No views.

If you're looking for some quiet, it's worth walking right around to the seating near the business area (left and left again from the hot buffet), there's another coffee machine and rarely anyone using their speakerphone for dull private conversation. It seems there's even a Bloomberg terminal here but I've never seen it on. There are high chairs if travelling with little'uns.

The main drawback of Gatwick is the schlep over the bridge to the A380 gate, you'll want to allow ten minutes for this. Once at the gate (which is split into three sections - families with children, J/F, and economy) there is limited seating but the boarding is always reasonably efficient.
Fully agree Re maze-like entrance - it is

I really like the LGW lounge and staff are incredibly friendly - even the lounge dragon sometimes When it is quiet, the kitchen staff are also willing to cater for special requests/extras ^
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:22 am
Lux

LHR (London Heathrow)

There must be so many here who can comment on this lounge! But for those who are looking for information, I'll start.

The Heathrow Lounge is beyond the main airside waiting area in Terminal 3. Tip for navigating the duty free meandering walkway: once in the duty free area, keep to the right hand side of the store and you'll get through quicker. Then follow the signs for the lounges, on your left in the middle of the main waiting area. Just past the whisky shop. Turn left at the T-junction and keep following the corridor, a little left, then a little right. You'll see the Emirates lounge ahead at the end of the corridor. (There is lettering of the lounges but I forget what the EK one is.)

The best things about the LHR lounge are boarding directly from the lounge, and the great view of the northerly runway. The room was refurbished in the past year or two and I miss the window counter at which one could sit and watch the comings and goings.

It's standard Emirates hot and cold food, a large dining area plus armchair seating at both ends of this long, thin lounge. I generally find this to be much busier than the Gatwick lounge, especially when there are two A380 departures in close succession. There's a small business centre plus a large TV that seems to show an unfeasibly large amount of golf. If, like me, you're generally flying in economy then you'll enjoy the eager anticipation of seeing if your name is called to the front desk to receive an upgrade.

This is not the best lounge on the network, but the boarding is convenient. It's better than BA's T3 business lounge (much better food, has windows), and almost as good as (but busier than) its First i.e. top tier T3 lounge.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Lux
Great idea. Once enough information appears, might it be helpful to add a list (by country or continent) at the top linking to individual airports? Or updating the wiki with this info? Happy to help.

Be good if the full airport name as well as initials can be used to help for searching, please...

(Agree on no posting of wifi passwords.)
An index has been added to the wikipost.
Saltire74 and sydtogla like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.