Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates chief open to working closely with Etihad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates chief open to working closely with Etihad

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ashivraj
Interesting - would they not rather move EK to DWC and leave the existing DXB setup for all other airlines? Appreciate DWC is (or feels) a bit more 'remote', but then EK would get first dibs on the shiny new (and bigger) airport. Plus a quicker connection to AUH if this partnership does indeed happen.
EK moving to DWC is the long term plan, or used to be. But other airlines would move first initially giving a temporary respite at DXB. DWC is being built to accommodate 4 parallel simultaneous approaches, which I think is unprecedented for an airport (not 4 parallel runways but the ability for 4 aircraft to land on all 4 at a time).
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
So, you're saying that if a European wanted to get to South Asia, they have to fly to DWC and then get a train to DXB? Not going to happen.
Except that really wouldn’t be the customers concern or business, it would be labelled as transfering terminals, DXB would become terminal 1, DWC would become terminal 2 and AUH terminal 3 for example. LHR’s terminals are not geographically in the same place.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by akalra1187
Except that really wouldn’t be the customers concern or business, it would be labelled as transfering terminals, DXB would become terminal 1, DWC would become terminal 2 and AUH terminal 3 for example. LHR’s terminals are not geographically in the same place.
No, but it's hardly the same. You walk or get an airside bus that takes a maximum of 10 minutes.

If I'm on a 3 hour transit, I want to spend it in the lounge rather than stuck on a train to a different city.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
No, but it's hardly the same. You walk or get an airside bus that takes a maximum of 10 minutes.

If I'm on a 3 hour transit, I want to spend it in the lounge rather than stuck on a train to a different city.
Two things,

It would probably take 20 mins DXB-DWC and 40 mins DXB-AUH assuming they run separate trains and the DXB-AUH train doesn’t stop on the way.
Planes often taxi around the runway for 40 mins, and there’s no reason why the train cabins for F and J pax couldn’t be like a lounge.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:27 am

Two things,

It would probably take 20 mins DXB-DWC and 40 mins DXB-AUH assuming they run separate trains and the DXB-AUH train doesn’t stop on the way.
Planes often taxi around the runway for 40 mins, and there’s no reason why the train cabins for F and J pax couldn’t be like a lounge.
Duuuuude. Now that's an idea! Train rides rock anyway, imagine a luxury blue train type experience with views of the desert (or more likely Sheikh Zayed Road)! Please Timmy do this!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Skywards
Planes will still taxi around the runway for 40 mins and then you’ll get on a train!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Neiltoo
Planes will still taxi around the runway for 40 mins and then you’ll get on a train!
Yes but the point is there’s no point complaining about a 20 min train ride when you don’t know if your plane will taxi around looking for a gate for 40 or 30 or 0 mins when you land.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:25 am

Yes but the point is there’s no point complaining about a 20 min train ride when you don’t know if your plane will taxi around looking for a gate for 40 or 30 or 0 mins when you land.
Yeeeeeees, but one would be a certainty (avoidable by a different routing) and the other could happen anywhere, or not.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:46 am
Suspended

Yeeeeeees, but one would be a certainty (avoidable by a different routing) and the other could happen anywhere, or not.
Depending on the airport, yes. Some airports you can expect circling before landing and ridiculous taxing times, others are next to nothing. Still, you can easily spend 30 mins getting from T4 to T5 at LHR. Done in UAE style it would not be taking over 30 mins to get from DWC to DXB and would likely be a moving lounge.
If they want to stick people on a London Underground type train and have a loop that connects one terminal to the other but not to third (i.e. you can’t go directly from T4 to T5, you have to go to T123 first at LHR) that’s a different story, but Dubai and the UAE doesn’t really have any past record of creating such shoddy infrastructure does it now.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:04 pm

Depending on the airport, yes. Some airports you can expect circling before landing and ridiculous taxing times, others are next to nothing. Still, you can easily spend 30 mins getting from T4 to T5 at LHR. Done in UAE style it would not be taking over 30 mins to get from DWC to DXB and would likely be a moving lounge.
If they want to stick people on a London Underground type train and have a loop that connects one terminal to the other but not to third (i.e. you can’t go directly from T4 to T5, you have to go to T123 first at LHR) that’s a different story, but Dubai and the UAE doesn’t really have any past record of creating such shoddy infrastructure does it now.
I take your points. I don’t think it would put me off, I especially like the notion of a First Class lounge train😀, but I can imagine my wife’s expression when I tried to sell a 40 min transfer between terminals.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:18 pm
Suspended

I take your points. I don’t think it would put me off, I especially like the notion of a First Class lounge train😀, but I can imagine my wife’s expression when I tried to sell a 40 min transfer between terminals.
Agreed, most people would be put off at the thought, only us who know that EY and EK do such things well, would understand.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Sorry to say but if the current train experience between terminals at DXB is any foreshadowing of the quality of what to expect in an inter-airport transfer, we are in big trouble. Maybe I am missing where to find the boarding platform for the F train?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Flaneurs
Sorry to say but if the current train experience between terminals at DXB is any foreshadowing of the quality of what to expect in an inter-airport transfer, we are in big trouble. Maybe I am missing where to find the boarding platform for the F train?
The current train is a metro style train. I think we can all agree that what we have in mind is something more long distance with actual seating
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
The current train is a metro style train. I think we can all agree that what we have in mind is something more long distance with actual seating
Yeah, the current 90 second journey is terrible
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:31 am

Its an APM transporting pax from concourse A to B not a classic train, never mind a HSR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.