Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates A380 hard landing at dusseldorf in storm (great job)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL EK QR TK

http://www.airlive.net/video-unbelie...at-dusseldorf/

EDIT: For a lot better viewing experience, scroll down to Post number 8 and watch the YouTube video without advertisements etc. (Thanks Scrooge McDuck)

Last edited by SKOOBDO; Oct 7, 2017 at 12:18 am
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Saw this yesterday, an A380 pilot sent it to me. If there was anything unsecured in the J bar it would've gone flying, quite uncomfortable for pax at the back, pilots generally try to minimize yawing movements as pax tend to get motion sick from it.

Difficult conditions, I have two theories: Either the pilot flying applied too much left rudder to straighten out during the flare (+ possibly a little too early, when the main gear wasn't carrying enough weight to maintain the centreline) or the wind was gusting and there was a negative wind shear (sudden reduction in wind speed) causing the aircraft to drift right just as it was also being straightened out, and the pilot then had to apply further rudder to get back to the centreline.

One can see the deflection of the rudder in the flare, I love seeing crosswind landing videos of A380s and 777s, the yawing movement is so majestic and one can usually clearly see the rudder movement as well.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Welcome to Düsseldorf, ladies and gentlemen, where I'm going to have to get some laundry done
junglematt and amanx like this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:52 am

It was weather. We had a pretty severe storm yesterday. Still some really good work in the front.
SKOOBDO likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:41 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Wow, the g-forces at the back of the plane must have been very uncomfortable.

I'm no pilot, but it seems as though the left rudder was held for too long as the rear wheels touched down, resulting in the excessive yaw.

I've seen quite a few good crosswind videos from DUS. It was my primary airport for over a year, but sadly I never experienced anything particularly exciting
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by C W
I've seen quite a few good crosswind videos from DUS. It was my primary airport for over a year, but sadly I never experienced anything particularly exciting
That's one word for it
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: LH HON, EK SILVER
Hello, just to bring my experience. I was onboard yesterday, fortunately I was flying in First (2A, upper deck) so the motion feeling was far better than in the back I guess.
Quite exciting (or scary, choose your perspective) was follow the landing thru the tail camera. You could exactly experience what happened.

Winds were gusting 35 kts yesterday, I've saved the METAR:

EDDL 051120Z 29020G33KT 270V330 9999 FEW016 SCT026 BKN260 15/09 Q1009 NOSIG

As you can see from the video, we got a strong wind gust (we could feel it clearly onboard) as crosswind just few moments from touchdown and the plane consequently dropped a bit in air, preventing the right completion of the crabbing manouver.
Live during landing I was astonished how the pilot brilliantly recovered.

After completing touchdown and stopping slipping left and right the pilot applied full brake and full reverse thrust (you can see it in the last moments of the video) 'cause by then we'd eaten up half of the runway. The braking was possibly even harder than touchdown.
We turned at the very last taxiway still at sustainable speed.

Happy landings to everyone!
ashivraj, junglematt and sydtogla like this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
What an experience! Must have been quite scary for the majority of the passengers.

In case one prefers Youtube for watching:
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by icekarl
Hello, just to bring my experience. I was onboard yesterday, fortunately I was flying in First (2A, upper deck) so the motion feeling was far better than in the back I guess.
Quite exciting (or scary, choose your perspective) was follow the landing thru the tail camera. You could exactly experience what happened.

Winds were gusting 35 kts yesterday, I've saved the METAR:

EDDL 051120Z 29020G33KT 270V330 9999 FEW016 SCT026 BKN260 15/09 Q1009 NOSIG

As you can see from the video, we got a strong wind gust (we could feel it clearly onboard) as crosswind just few moments from touchdown and the plane consequently dropped a bit in air, preventing the right completion of the crabbing manouver.

After completing touchdown and stopping slipping left and right the pilot applied full brake and full reverse thrust (you can see it in the last moments of the video) 'cause by then we'd eaten up half of the runway. The braking was possibly even harder than touchdown.
We turned at the very last taxiway still at sustainable speed.

Happy landings to everyone!
Thanks for the on board review!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL EK QR TK
Thanks Icekarl. Looked pretty scary to me��. Glad everything turned out ok. whew!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:06 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Great to hear a first-person account, icekarl. And I hope you enjoyed F!

Did the captain make any announcements about it after landing to explain, reassure, etc?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by icekarl
I'm not sure "astonishing" is the appropriate word ...

I've experienced several bumpy landings - mostly with small ships (B737, A320) -, but never as scary as this one.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Thanks icekarl!

Originally Posted by ioto1902
Haha didn't even pick up on that! A very cavalier way of saying one expected to crash
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: LH HON, EK SILVER
Originally Posted by ioto1902

I've experienced several bumpy landings - mostly with small ships (B737, A320) -, but never as scary as this one.
I meant I was amazed how captain recovered in a brilliant way.

To be honest with you, I wasn't scared. Fortunately or unfortunately I fly very frequently (multiple flights a week), so I am quite used and have developed an excess of confidence that things are always under control..and then I believe in faith

Originally Posted by C W
Great to hear a first-person account, icekarl. And I hope you enjoyed F!

Did the captain make any announcements about it after landing to explain, reassure, etc?
thank you! No he didn't give any announcement. Purser just gave the standard farewells. It all seemed very quiet onboard..at least in the front. I'm sure in the back was a kind of experience!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Thanks for the on board review!
Agree! Thanks for the details icekarl!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.