Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Additional fees after miles upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

If paying cash for economy tickets on Emirates, if Miles upgrade to business class is available and you cash in your miles for the upgrade, do they then charge you additional cash fees on top of the miles upgrade? Or they just upgrade you with the miles and don’t charge extra additional fees?. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:49 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pooks75
If paying cash for economy tickets on Emirates, if Miles upgrade to business class is available and you cash in your miles for the upgrade, do they then charge you additional cash fees on top of the miles upgrade? Or they just upgrade you with the miles and don’t charge extra additional fees?. Thanks in advance.

Depends on your departure airport, you may have to pay an additional APD. I think it has been announced this is rising in the UK for example.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

What is APD?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Air passenger duty (APD) is a tax due from each passenger when flying from UK airports. The tax is included in the cost of a ticket.

In the UK, if you upgrade prior to departure you will be charged extra for APD. If there is space and you upgrade once onboard then no cash payment is required.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:54 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by pooks75
What is APD?
APD is specific to the UK, but I know other countries charge higher taxes on business class tickets as well (France being one of them). I don't know how that would impact an upgrade though.

To answer the OPs question - It is going to depend on your departure country, you may owe additional taxes, but very few levy higher taxes on premium cabins.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Mar 12, 2024, 1:21 am

It's old data so may be out of date, but this is what was previously reported.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11657233-post7.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.