Search

MBNA Companion Voucher

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Silver
MBNA Companion Voucher

Hi all,

Just spent about an hour on Expert Flyer looking to use a companion voucher on a BHX-KUL trip in J. I wasn't sure whether I should be looking for D or O availability so made sure all 4 legs had both. I then spent a further 25mins on the phone to Emirates only to be told that there was no availability for my companion I wasn't entirely convinced that the agent knew what he was doing so can anyone confirm which bucket I should be checking on Expert Flyer? I recall having similar problems last year and ended up having to email the voucher back to Emirates as they didn't have a record of it on their system!

TIA
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Do a search for Saver rewards on the Emirates website. If they are available on all the legs, you should be able to use the voucher.

However, you may find that 2 J Saver seats work out cheaper by the time you've paid the fees for the companion ticket.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Ah, that would explain it - I was thinking Expert Flyer could help rather than looking for Saver Fares. I'll have to rethink my dates/destination as there weren't many Savers available in November, I've probably left it a bit late this year :-(
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: Qatar Silver, Emirates Skyward Silver, SPG Gold , IHG Spire Elite
Exclamation

I had a feeling this companion voucher may causes issues! HFP stated a few issues with the companion voucher. I haven't yet achieved the voucher as I only just received the cards in April with the higher bonus but a crappy credit limit which I cant even book a paid J seat with lol :/

Does anyone use any of the actual EK benefits from this MBNA card ..? (sorry for going off track...)

Xav
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
I've given up using mine, two savers are cheaper than trying to use it and it's so restrictive and your both on different fares which then makes upgrades near to impossible.

I'm currently sitting with my £150 voucher wondering what to do with it as it only works ex UK, also won't work if you try using when booking through business rewards.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Seat54
I'm currently sitting with my £150 voucher wondering what to do with it as it only works ex UK, also won't work if you try using when booking through business rewards.
It also only works if you're booking for 1 person. As soon as you change it to 2 people, the voucher is removed
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Have to agree with most people here, ive earned the companion voucher every year and never once used it, as 2 J savers have always been cheaper than buy 1 J flex and then trying to find availabilty for the companion voucher.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I think for expectation management it is worth knowing the card is great for acquiring miles, certainly when the offer is 25,000 for the elite. Added bonus of getting even more miles when you purchase flights with your card and also an interest free period.

It is certainly worth having for a year whilst the card is free. I personally don't think its great value after that. Certainly not when you can then rotate through with an american express card where you have the luxury of transferring your points to other airlines as well as emirates.

Like others have said it is not even worth looking in to the companion offer, I have never known anyone to find it more cost effective than saver fares.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:48 am
Original Poster

I gave in eventually as all they could offer were flights out with a 12hr layover in DXB. There were no returns at all. I checked Expert Flyer and couldn't find any 'D' seats back to BHX or MAN for the dates I was after (-3/+3 days)
Ended up booking 2 x BHX-BKK J returns for £4050 which I was quite happy with. Only 1hr in DXB for the outward flight so it might be a nicotine free journey
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Will08
It is certainly worth having for a year whilst the card is free. I personally don't think its great value after that. Certainly not when you can then rotate through with an american express card where you have the luxury of transferring your points to other airlines as well as emirates.
If you drop it for a year, can you then re-apply and get the bonus miles again?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by ft101
If you drop it for a year, can you then re-apply and get the bonus miles again?
American express you can drop it for 6 months then reapply and get the bonus miles again.

I have just received a new MBNA one after a two year absence so ill let you know if I get the bonus miles again.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: Qatar Silver, Emirates Skyward Silver, SPG Gold , IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Seat54
I've given up using mine, two savers are cheaper than trying to use it and it's so restrictive and your both on different fares which then makes upgrades near to impossible.

Im still looking where I can use this Voucher ... Hopefully LGW - KUL as at the moment J seats are quite expensive to KUL (£2100pp) for some reason compared to BKK (£1800). Around £300+ than what I paid in Feb & June to KUL from LGW

I did find LGW - HKG - BKK, KUL - LGW return all in J for 2018, £2200 which I thought was rather decent ... Price from Emirates as well.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by Will08
American express you can drop it for 6 months then reapply and get the bonus miles again.
I would verify this before trying as I beleive most AMEX offers are once per product. YMMV
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Flaneurs
I would verify this before trying as I beleive most AMEX offers are once per product. YMMV
I phoned and they confirmed you still get the miles. It is also in the small print on the website I believe. My 6 months is up next month so I will confirm again on the phone before getting the card and will update the outcome accordingly.
Flaneurs likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
Interestingly I had an email from MBNA asking about the EK credit card and benefits yesterday, I took the never ending questions but it asked about the value of the this voucher as one of the questions, and I gave it my honest answer....seems change may be on the horizon...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.