Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates Platinum v Gold Status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold
Emirates Platinum v Gold Status

I'm an expat living in Dubai and fly Emirates for business and pleasure. I currently have Gold Status with about 134,000 miles and need an additional 16,000 by the end of September to reach Platinum. I'm wondering what the value of Platinum over Gold is, I know the "by the book" value, 1st Class Lounge and check-in, 25% more skywards miles, etc, but what are your thoughts on upgrade probabilities, I fly biz for business and typically coach (and upgrade w/ miles for personal), so how often would I get a "free" upgrade to business or first? My most common destinations are NYC and London. In order to reach Platinum, I'd have to do a mileage run which would cost about $3,000, then I'd be Platinum for the next 13 months. I just returned from my first coach flight on Emirates and while it was better than the US airlines coach product, I'd certainly prefer to avoid it going forward.

Thanks for any thoughts and insights.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by iamds2
I'm an expat living in Dubai and fly Emirates for business and pleasure. I currently have Gold Status with about 134,000 miles and need an additional 16,000 by the end of September to reach Platinum. I'm wondering what the value of Platinum over Gold is, I know the "by the book" value, 1st Class Lounge and check-in, 25% more skywards miles, etc, but what are your thoughts on upgrade probabilities, I fly biz for business and typically coach (and upgrade w/ miles for personal), so how often would I get a "free" upgrade to business or first? My most common destinations are NYC and London. In order to reach Platinum, I'd have to do a mileage run which would cost about $3,000, then I'd be Platinum for the next 13 months. I just returned from my first coach flight on Emirates and while it was better than the US airlines coach product, I'd certainly prefer to avoid it going forward.

Thanks for any thoughts and insights.
As a Play you're at the front of the op-up queue, while as Gold you're ranked first based on fare type meaning any Blue or Silver on a higher fare type is ahead. Your routes are premium-heavy, don't know how You loads typically are and how often op-ups take place, it's your call whether it's worth 3000$ for one or two upgrades a year (could be none, could be 10, impossible to tell).
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
I won't do it, because of the claimed lighter load on US routes and the alleged iO/Plat heavy routes.

I would be mixed if you were in a medium outstation, because a Plat has a good probability of being noticed by the local EK PR guy. But in DXB ... you are a nobody (no offense).

It all comes to you, and what 3000 USD mean to you.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: Emirates Platinum
Fully agree re outstation vs DXB Plat treatmeant.

I wouldn't do it. Suppose it also depends on what kind of Y fares you typically buy. I generally buy Flex and Flex Plus, because my schedule moves around and I often buy late. So I'd probably get a good Op-Up return regardless. But then (at least on the routes I fly) up front or upstairs is so often full....
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, KLM Flying blue, Qatar Airways Privilege club, GHA Discovery
I'm in the same boat, now in doubt of keep flying with Emirates to move from gold to Platinum.
I fly mostly J AMS-BKK return (2x a month) on Emirates or KLM.
Op-ups to F happen regularly while I'm always traveling on flex or flex-plus tickets.

Biggest advantage of KLM is that this is a direct flight and saves me 6 hours....

What would be the biggest advantage for me in moving to Platinum?
First class lounge would be nice but not necessary, I'm happy with the B Champagne bar 😁
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Daandeluxe
I'm in the same boat, now in doubt of keep flying with Emirates to move from gold to Platinum.
I fly mostly J AMS-BKK return (2x a month) on Emirates or KLM.
Op-ups to F happen regularly while I'm always traveling on flex or flex-plus tickets.

Biggest advantage of KLM is that this is a direct flight and saves me 6 hours....

What would be the biggest advantage for me in moving to Platinum?
First class lounge would be nice but not necessary, I'm happy with the B Champagne bar 😁
On a Flex ticket as a Plat you'd be ahead of all non-Plat Flex Plus holders. That's the only practical difference (and F lounge in DXB which you say doesn't matter so much to you).

Also, ouch. Flying J twice a month from AMS, one of the airports with probably the worst premium lounge offering in the EK network.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, KLM Flying blue, Qatar Airways Privilege club, GHA Discovery
Ok so no real benefits for me then....
I usually get upgraded as gold so I don't have to be platinum for that.

You're absolutely correct, there is no Premium (EK) lounge in Amsterdam, the other lounges I would not qualify as "premium ".
I'm happy that I got Privium (the iris identification), so I can be at Schiphol half an hour before boarding without check-in luggage.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Also, ouch. Flying J twice a month from AMS, one of the airports with probably the worst premium lounge offering in the EK network.
I reckon anybody flying from AMS so often will have Privium. Far better lounge than the EK used lounge, although it's landside.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:38 am

Correct, I do have Privium so I always aim to be at Schiphol half an hour before boarding.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Daandeluxe
Correct, I do have Privium so I always aim to be at Schiphol half an hour before boarding.
It's a steal at €215
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It's a steal at €215
And by complete coincidence, I've just received an email saying a Privium Airside lounge opens on 8th September
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold
On a slightly different note, I need 3500 tier miles to retain Gold. If I book a flight now for January will I keep gold ?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by chelseastu
On a slightly different note, I need 3500 tier miles to retain Gold. If I book a flight now for January will I keep gold ?
Depends on when your current status expires. If you need 3500 by the end of October for example, booking a flight for January won't maintain your gold status.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold
Thanks - That's what I thought. It expires end of September. Not that I'm seriously bothered but other than taking a flight in the next month is there any way to maintain it?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by chelseastu
Thanks - That's what I thought. It expires end of September. Not that I'm seriously bothered but other than taking a flight in the next month is there any way to maintain it?
Yeah, take a flight next month which is 3000 miles + the miles you flew in September last year. It's a rolling period. Your qualification month might be September but your status is valid for 2 extra months and you can requalify at any time if your rolling 12-month total exceeds 50k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.