Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

SURVEY: Would You Like To See An Official EK Rep/Lurker On The Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Fellow Flyertalkers

We have piqued the interest of Emirates in joining our forum on an official capacity.

They have asked our contributors to answer a short survey (questions not set by EK) to see what sort of engagement we would be interested in.

The Moderator & Ambassador Team would be grateful if you could spend a few moments and complete the questions below using the same format in a normal post.

If there is an interest from Flyertalk Members in having an Official Emirates representation on the forum and they agree to come onboard, this information will allow them to make sure their role is beneficial to the forum and its members.

If EK take up the invitation, the role may develop over time and to ensure that both the Flyertalk Community and EK benefit from their involvement, the community are asked to follow any guidelines posted in the future if our invitation is accepted.

Thanks

Q1:
Would you like to see an Official EK Representative on Flyertalk? (If NO, could you please give your reasons as this will also be assessed in the feedback).

Q2:
If Emirates were to join the forum in an official capacity, what contributions would you like to see from them?

Q3:
Which online resource do you go to most when looking for information about flying Emirates or their Frequent Flyer Programme, Skywards? Emirates Website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flyertalk or other Social Media/Online site? List sites in order of usage.

Any other comments:

Thanks for taking the time to answer this short survey.

Saltire74
Print Wikipost

SURVEY: Would You Like To See An Official EK Rep/Lurker On The Forum?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:41 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Q2 asks for justification of your first answer in an implicit way. It assumes that you have answered yes, and what you think that impact would be. I think it is fair to assume the opposite from that; justify why not.

Dave Noble, Q3 still applies regardless of how you answer Q1.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Q2 asks for justification of your first answer in an implicit way. It assumes that you have answered yes, and what you think that impact would be. I think it is fair to assume the opposite from that; justify why not.

Dave Noble, Q3 still applies regardless of how you answer Q1.
No it doesn't - it is clear that it is a question that only relates to what involvement would be wanted if the answer to Q1 is YES. If no involvement is wanted, there is nothing more to add; I have low opinion of most official participation on the fora which I see

If this is a fait accomplis that EK is going to participatate, please say so
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:57 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No it doesn't - it is clear that it is a question that only relates to what involvement would be wanted if the answer to Q1 is YES. If no involvement is wanted, there is nothing more to add; I have low opinion of most official participation on the fora which I see

If this is a fait accomplis that EK is going to participatate, please say so
The whole idea of this survey is so that EK can see what expectations of any involvement are so that they get it right. They want to get it right. If they have the available resource to participate, they want to make sure that it is positive participation for both Flyertalk and EK.

We have got further than any previous attempts to invite EK on to the forum and they may just be a sceptical as you, hence why they have asked for the survey to be conducted before they make any definite decision.

So, it is not fait accomplis, but there is a good chance and it would have been more helpful to understand your reasonings rather than a resounding NO.

I will update the wiki asking for reasons so that we can better understand any negative response and hopefully head of any concerns

S
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Ok guys, relax. Dave doesn't want to see EK here, we'd love to know why but let's move on and rather get feedback from more other members without making them fear us ripping them apart for how they answer...
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I actually think this would be better as a non-sticky. Personally, I tend not to notice stickies...

Maybe a non-sticky that gets bumped if it goes too far down the page.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:32 am

Q1 - I'm in two minds about it.

If there was interaction in a meaningful way, where the EK staff member wasn't a PR mouthpiece giving cut and paste answers, but was actually someone empowered to discuss issues honestly (e.g. answering a question honestly about why 2-3-2 in J was considered acceptable for a 2017 refresh), then it might work.

But I fear if they are simply just a glorified CS agent chatbot, then there's no point, imho. I don't want an EK support Twitter feed on the forum, nor do I want people to join up to FT to be one post complainers just to try and skip the support queue.

As a cynic, I'd lean towards no participation, unless there were assurances about the seniority and access the EK representative could have.

Q2 - Join as a member of the community, not a customer service channel. That means discussion about things like fleet rotations, capacity, operations, interceding directly with different departments for more technical answers and having the tact and communication skills to deflect answers they can't reply to.

That means explaining EK's point of view to pax, such as "why can't they have this" (e.g. talking about things like operational issues where a subcontractor can't be guaranteed, or how things really work at the airport, or if a plane goes tech, talk about the issues of getting parts flown in from other stations etc.) rather than pointing to rules.

Q3 - Flyertalk first, then the website. Never social media.
Metanoia and murtaza12 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Q1 - I'm in two minds about it.

If there was interaction in a meaningful way, where the EK staff member wasn't a PR mouthpiece giving cut and paste answers, but was actually someone empowered to discuss issues honestly (e.g. answering a question honestly about why 2-3-2 in J was considered acceptable for a 2017 refresh), then it might work.

But I fear if they are simply just a glorified CS agent chatbot, then there's no point, imho. I don't want an EK support Twitter feed on the forum, nor do I want people to join up to FT to be one post complainers just to try and skip the support queue.

As a cynic, I'd lean towards no participation, unless there were assurances about the seniority and access the EK representative could have.

Q2 - Join as a member of the community, not a customer service channel. That means discussion about things like fleet rotations, capacity, operations, interceding directly with different departments for more technical answers and having the tact and communication skills to deflect answers they can't reply to.

That means explaining EK's point of view to pax, such as "why can't they have this" (e.g. talking about things like operational issues where a subcontractor can't be guaranteed, or how things really work at the airport, or if a plane goes tech, talk about the issues of getting parts flown in from other stations etc.) rather than pointing to rules.

Q3 - Flyertalk first, then the website. Never social media.
An excellent and thoughtful post, hard to disagree.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Emirates
Q1 I cannot see it adding anything so, no.

If Emirates want to know about the views and concerns of Flyertalk members they can read about them on here. There is no need to respond directly as they can react if appropriate by changing practices or using their website or other channels. There are plenty on here who have their own agendas, and there is no problem with that, but I suspect that if a semi formal route to Emirates were to be offered then it would attract a stream of users wanting to have a public discussion with the company when more private, existing channels are more appropriate. The company rep/s would also have an agenda and a line to toe as they will certainly have someone looking over their shoulders. I have seen this on other forums and rarely see anything positive result.

Q2 We already get comments from some Emirates staff who are members in their own right. This is helpful but I can see it might be risky for them personally at times. Why not suggest to the company that they encourage this involvement and adopt a benign attitude to it. I accept that this might be at odds with the culture and habits of the UAE and Emirates.

Q3 Flyertalk and the Emirates website. Social media add nothing as far as I can see.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Emirates Platinum
Originally Posted by missingmanager
Q1 I cannot see it adding anything so, no.

If Emirates want to know about the views and concerns of Flyertalk members they can read about them on here. There is no need to respond directly as they can react if appropriate by changing practices or using their website or other channels. There are plenty on here who have their own agendas, and there is no problem with that, but I suspect that if a semi formal route to Emirates were to be offered then it would attract a stream of users wanting to have a public discussion with the company when more private, existing channels are more appropriate. The company rep/s would also have an agenda and a line to toe as they will certainly have someone looking over their shoulders. I have seen this on other forums and rarely see anything positive result.

Q2 We already get comments from some Emirates staff who are members in their own right. This is helpful but I can see it might be risky for them personally at times. Why not suggest to the company that they encourage this involvement and adopt a benign attitude to it. I accept that this might be at odds with the culture and habits of the UAE and Emirates.

Q3 Flyertalk and the Emirates website. Social media add nothing as far as I can see.
I agree. I don't need the PR spiel, and nothing has prevented them from observing what FQTVs say on these forums, if they don't observe already.

That said - won't go much harm. Though I suspect their media monitoring people are more focused on PPRUNE and what's said there lol.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Q1:
Would you like to see an Official EK Representative on Flyertalk? (If NO, could you please give your reasons as this will also be assessed in the feedback).
Yes !

Q2:
If Emirates were to join the forum in an official capacity, what contributions would you like to see from them?
A active presence within the forum , not just coming on now and then or only lurking. Answering questions and providing insight into matters and the ability to message the Lurker for assistance, SPG flyertalk forum lurkers do a good job at this. Maybe a thread called , " Ask EK" , where we can post questions that can be answered by the lurker. Would be good also to get heads up on new things coming to EK before others...

Q3:
Which online resource do you go to most when looking for information about flying Emirates or their Frequent Flyer Programme, Skywards? Emirates Website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flyertalk or other Social Media/Online site? List sites in order of usage.
EK Flyertalk Forum and Emirates website only - others are just promotional marketing sources that have no informational value.

Any other comments:
This would be a very positive move for EK ! I would hope that our posts and insights would be fed to higher departments/managers who can actually make changes to things, as we are probably the most dedicated,knowledgable frequent flyers within EK. Lol who goes and looks up Emirates forum on google to purely talk about all things EK !
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:16 pm

Do we have an anticipated end date to the survey when results will be passed on to EK?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Emirates
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Do we have an anticipated end date to the survey when results will be passed on to EK?
I'd be staggered if they don't already know what is being said. Do we really think that they do not read posts on here? I cannot think of any major company that can afford to ignore groups discussing their products, and Emirates management might be many things but I don't think they are stupid.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by missingmanager
I'd be staggered if they don't already know what is being said. Do we really think that they do not read posts on here? I cannot think of any major company that can afford to ignore groups discussing their products, and Emirates management might be many things but I don't think they are stupid.
I agree, but there is also a supposed back channel conversation with the PR team, based in which this survey was created, this I am curious what kind of timeline was set, as I'm sure there is one.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:52 pm

No. Can't see how this could benefit anyone.

Lurkers need to be proactive, well informed, and capable. Not mere liaison officers or switchboard operators. It's hard to imagine EK having the former within its customer service culture. And if they did, it would be a waste to have them serve FT. They ought to be on the frontline in call centres dedicated to these complex or out of ordinary requests that usually have to be sent to HQ.

For Q3, Long ago and particularly since devaluing Skywards, I struggled to see any value in it. The higher redemption costs ex-Australia were among the last straws, combined with the steep carrier imposed charges and the inability to issue a thorough redemptiom booking on QF/EK combined. And since burning through my mileage account on redemptions, I simply can't see myself using EK, no matter how much I enjoyed it and raved about their high service standard. The fact that redemptions and upgrades became so constrained, and NOT permitting any extra inventory for Skywards Golds/ Platinums made it obvious that EK does not really care about attracting and retaining loyal clients. I still visit this board and check Emirates website occasionally for sheer curiousity- has anything changed for better?

Last edited by edy4eva; Aug 27, 2017 at 2:59 pm
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:09 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
We have not set a timeline at present, but once there are enough responses, we will pass these on to EKHQ for them to digest.

We we will continue to have discussions with the PR Department via back channels until a decision is made.

The reason for the survey is to gauge interest and so that EK can make an informed decision on whether they come on board or not. If the interest is there and EK can see an added value both for themselves and the forum, they want to know what we would like to see so that they get it right and not to become anything like some other forum airline reps.

They can see the potential and want to be a positive contributor if resources allow and if members would like their contributions.

We will have to wait and see what responses we get and what decisions are made so would be grateful for further contributions and some patience.

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.