Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Would you upgrade the lounge from business to first?

Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:32 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....

Given that you can upgrade from the business to first lounge for $100 at Dubai - would you?

What would be the advantage if any on a longer layover?

(flying business)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Given that you can upgrade from the business to first lounge for $100 at Dubai - would you?

What would be the advantage if any on a longer layover?

(flying business)
I would maybe do it for the novelty one off assuming you may not fly F in the near future. The tangible differences are a la carte dining which I would say is a good deal better than J food especially lunch/dinner. Also free a spa treatment is included. Other things to consider are the fact it would be less crowded so waiting for a shower or to be served would be quicker and finding a seat/chaise is easier. I also believe they have a better wine selection but the same champagne (actually the J lounge in the B concourse has the best champagne selection).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
The last post nicely sums up the benefits. For me that would not be worth anywhere near USD 100, but everyone needs to decide that for themselves.
Tanzguy and aceboy44 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
If the wine were good I think it might be worth it. Typically the guys at Le Clos know what's being served in the F lounge so worth asking. Last time I was at the F lounge I had 2004 Cos d'Estournel, 2008 Margaux Pavilion Rouge, and a nice filet with starters, etc. I think I got my $100 worth! (I was booked into F, but still)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Metanoia
If the wine were good I think it might be worth it. Typically the guys at Le Clos know what's being served in the F lounge so worth asking. Last time I was at the F lounge I had 2004 Cos d'Estournel, 2008 Margaux Pavilion Rouge, and a nice filet with starters, etc. I think I got my $100 worth! (I was booked into F, but still)
I'll add what's on in the lounge to the wine thread next time I go
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: EK Gold, FB Silver
Since I never fly F, very few paid J and I'm not platinum, there's very little chance I get to experience the F lounge, so I decided to give it a chance ($100 seems so much more money than 367 AED :-) Compare it with a nice night out in Dubai, dinner and some drinks in a bar, and you'll end up spending more than that. Unfortunately it was the lounge in B, not A.

Upon arrival, they pointed me to the J lounge and when I explained I was ready to pay, they looked stupified. It took them a while to find the card machine and it didn't work. They let me enter the lounge without paying but I had to promise to come back later to complete the payment (which I did). The lounge itself doesn't look that much different from the J lounge, apart from it being SO much more quiet, and the sit down restaurant. Waiters were extremely polite and the food was good. Didn't like the wine so much (might have chosen a wrong wine there).

I'll try the F lounge in A once out of curiosity, but I don't think I'll spend again $100 for lounge entry.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:23 pm

The lunch/dinnertime a la carte food and wine in the F lounge is genuinely quite good, and is definitely worth the USD100 difference if you will be there during meal time. (USD100 really doesn't buy you much food and alcohol of similar standard in town!) But I don't think I would do it if my stay was only during breakfast time.

And if paying extra for the F lounge, I would definitely trek over to Concourse A.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks all!

If I did it our stay would be 9pm to 2am or thereabouts for my wife and I.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Qatar Platinum
Was there not a time limit for the paid upgrade of 4 hours?

So it doesn't really help if you have long connection time.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:23 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Yes, it's a 4 hour limit. But I doubt they'd come looking for you if you stayed longer
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
The only benefit really would be if you were going to use the upgrade during Peak hours ....... when the airport is busy, the J lounge is super congested.
Tanzguy and Crisu69 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by safari_7
The only benefit really would be if you were going to use the upgrade during Peak hours ....... when the airport is busy, the J lounge is super congested.
And so the F lounge can be too!

I've seen queues at the sit down dining area and not many seats...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:40 pm

I'd consider it for a 4-5hr layover to have a nice meal and some wine, as a once-off to try it out. $100 gets you a long way in terms of food where I live (CPT), really excellent food, you could have a 10-course tasting menu at a super fancy restaurant and a bottle of wine for that, so it's still a lot even for just one really nice 3-course meal. For those living in DXB, London or New York of course $100 doesn't go as far so it'd be easier to justify
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yes, it's a 4 hour limit. But I doubt they'd come looking for you if you stayed longer
A point to note, they don't let you in until 4 hours before your flight, so there is no possibility to stay longer, unless of course your flight was delayed.

I paid to upgrade to the F lounge in B and I honestly could not see much of a difference. A la carte was nice, bit nicer alcohol selection, other than that it was largely the same. Might try it for A, but would not do it again otherwise.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:09 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

B / A not sure what you mean on the lounges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.