Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The EK Wine Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by blurt91
A newbie question here as someone who has rarely flown in J and only once before on EK five years ago. This month's menus/wine lists for EK164/163 DUB/DXB show no champagne listed in J,while my onward flight to SYD shows Moët. Does this actually mean there will be no champagne on the Dublin flights and I will have to wait until the lounge in DXB to enjoy some bubbly?
Almost certainly no
blurt91 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Almost certainly no
Thanks Skywardhunter appreciate that.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by blurt91
A newbie question here as someone who has rarely flown in J and only once before on EK five years ago. This month's menus/wine lists for EK164/163 DUB/DXB show no champagne listed in J,while my onward flight to SYD shows Moët. Does this actually mean there will be no champagne on the Dublin flights and I will have to wait until the lounge in DXB to enjoy some bubbly?
Just checked - this is what you should get!

Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by XXTSGR

Thanks for that XXTSGR. I am quite looking forward to tasting some of the wines that EK have on board as well. Cheers

Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Whites dont get as much coverage so highly recommend you try this viognier if you come across it on the plane or on the ground...

François Villard Condrieu DePoncins 2016

Someone described it as hedonistic, and I would agree.

Condrieu DePoncins 2016
ukdoctor and XXTSGR like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
1998 Leoville Las Cases yesterday...

Title says it all! Had a carafe yesterday to SIN. Yet another vintage of a lovely producer I don't think I've drank before. Flying EK is a blast...I think the most fun part is the surprise of the wine list as I get on board. It is seriously curated, and obviously seriously budgeted-for, too.

So far, in the last year IIRC I've now had on EK:
*1998 Leoville Las Cases
*2001 Mouton Rothschild
*2004 Las Mission Haut Brion
*1998 Jaboulet La Chapelle
*1985 Ducru Beaucaillou
*2004 Cheval Blanc
*1998 Margaux
*2000 Dom P2

These have all been on either HKG, SIN or Europe flights. And say nothing of the "pedestrian" Dom 08, 09, Dom Rose 06 and whatever else they have as more "normal" (read: better than virtually every other carrier I'm aware of) wines.

The EK wine list curation isn't to be underrated. Of course, they have a great cellar and pull out older vintages which I really appreciate. Sure they're often off vintages, but they're usually drinking well, and as an upside I'm not usually familiar with the years EK serves. But as the poster above points out, there are lovely sweet spots all over the list. He/she points out a Viognier. I've stumbled across white CDP, lovely Burgundy, and elegant producers virtually everywhere else. Last night, I paired some crab bisque with a very pleasing white Bordeaux. Three cheers for EK wine.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by XXTSGR

What did you guys think of the VC XO? I found it too dry for the altitude. I probably would have enjoyed it quite a bit on the ground but in the air it was a bit harsh, even with food.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I enjoyed it
blurt91 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Metanoia
What did you guys think of the VC XO? I found it too dry for the altitude. I probably would have enjoyed it quite a bit on the ground but in the air it was a bit harsh, even with food.
I did not enjoy it in the air but perhaps might on the ground. It did feel harsh and I prefer more brut
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by kq747
I did not enjoy it in the air but perhaps might on the ground. It did feel harsh and I prefer more brut
As a sipper, I totally agree... now that I think about it, I did not try it with the cheese plate, that might have been really good.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
As a sipper, I totally agree... now that I think about it, I did not try it with the cheese plate, that might have been really good.
This has got me intrigued and I will see if even I can tell the the difference between the pre flight drink on the ground and when I try it at altitude (assuming that it is the same drop) and whether the cheese board will make it more palatable.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Whilst there is a lot on nonsense throughout flyertalk, admittedly some from myself, this thread takes it to the next level. What makes it even more great is that everyone replies to the nonsense with more nonsense, making it the best nonsense on the whole of flyertalk!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Will08
Whilst there is a lot on nonsense throughout flyertalk, admittedly some from myself, this thread takes it to the next level. What makes it even more great is that everyone replies to the nonsense with more nonsense, making it the best nonsense on the whole of flyertalk!
this is a very serious thread about wine. Take it you are more of a shandy drinker?
sydtogla and Will08 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by m3red

this is a very serious thread about wine. Take it you are more of a shandy drinker?
Back in my uni days I used to do centurions with wine out of a cardboard box, does that count?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Will08
Back in my uni days I used to do centurions with wine out of a cardboard box, does that count?
you should be banned from this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.