Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The EK Wine Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Had the P2 and Cheval Blanc 2004 the other day on EK
The P2 was just fantastic. Full of brioche and very expressive but in an understated way, this is a marvelous Champagne. And it was my first go at P2 2000, despite owning a decent amount of Champagne! I had a lot of fun. Drank it with some canapes, caviar, and even a biyriani. Obviously there are stylistic differences, but I find this P2 2000 much preferable to Krug NV and even Krug 2004 which seem a bit more common on the airlines I fly, and in the case of Krug 2004 being hawked very aggressively by my wine sellers for very good prices (one reason I suspect a few airlines ended up with so much Krug 2004....it is being marketed like crazy by LVMH, whereas 2002 is nowhere to be found.....hmmmm). This all says nothing of just how many steps above this P2 is above recent "normal" Dom vintages, which I find to be the most overhyped Champagne out there. Terrible value. This P2 on the other hand is downright amazing!

For the Cheval Blanc, I forgot to ask but I *think* they had more than one bottle. Because at least three of us on the left side alone had carafes and another passenger had a glass, and this was just during the first go around after takeoff with FAs asking us what we wanted. And I didn't hear any rejections. Fwiw we had a full A380 14/14 in F.

For someone relatively new to the EK frequent flyer world, the EK wine list approach really takes some getting used to in a GOOD way.
flying_pig and extramileage like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by petalumajim
Am flying dxb - sfo later this month and I see that Au Sommet 2012 is on board. Anyone had this wine before? How was it? Description sounds very good. I hate to admit I live in Sonoma County and had not heard of this winery before.

(I can't spend the whole flight drinking P2)!

Thanks for your help.

its very good - also like the p2 a very expensive wine.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:02 pm
Uli

this EK wine programme right now is totally insane.
FRA-DXB-FRA had mouton 2001 both ways, and yes, they had more than one bottle per leg.
this is something that no other airline will ever do. and i wonder where they got the wine from.
flying_pig and m3red like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:57 pm

Bordeaux...
DYKWIA and skywardhunter like this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Uli
FRA-DXB-FRA had mouton 2001 both ways, and yes, they had more than one bottle per leg.
this is something that no other airline will ever do. and i wonder where they got the wine from.
What's incredible is that the opened but non-empty bottles are then available in the J lounge, so while flying Y and visiting the J lounge thanks to status I had several glasses of Ducru (1985? 83? One of the two)

Originally Posted by m3red
Bordeaux...
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Uli
Looks like they are sourcing directly from the wineries in similar vein to Cathay Pacific and Chateau Lynch Bages. CX snaps up all of Lynch Bages off-vintage, probably at a really great price, then trots out the same off-vintage Lynch Bages year after year. You never see a good Lynch Bages vintage on CX.

https://www.therealreview.com/2018/0...tage-bordeaux/

It is really more about appearance rather than wine. A regular Caymus probably will be just as good for a 1/5 of the price, but without the first growth label.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Looks like they are sourcing directly from the wineries in similar vein to Cathay Pacific and Chateau Lynch Bages. CX snaps up all of Lynch Bages off-vintage, probably at a really great price, then trots out the same off-vintage Lynch Bages year after year. You never see a good Lynch Bages vintage on CX.

https://www.therealreview.com/2018/0...tage-bordeaux/

It is really more about appearance rather than wine. A regular Caymus probably will be just as good for a 1/5 of the price, but without the first growth label.
EK buy in bulk from the vineyards directly - been doing it for a few years.

There was a short program on ICE that explained it - not sure if its still available.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by m3red
EK buy in bulk from the vineyards directly - been doing it for a few years.

There was a short program on ICE that explained it - not sure if its still available.
I have no doubt they got it directly from the source. Itīs mutually beneficial to EK and these chateau. They can unload their bad years in bulk and EK can get the prestige.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:39 am

I have no doubt they got it directly from the source. Itīs mutually beneficial to EK and these chateau. They can unload their bad years in bulk and EK can get the prestige.
EK don't buy "bad" years - all the wine is personally tasted and selected by Sir Tim and Oliver Dixon and team.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:23 am

They can unload their bad years in bulk
"Bad years" as in 2005 for France? Like the 2005 Chateau Figeac (St Emillion) that EK are serving now? Or that same 2005 of Les Forts de Latour (Pauillac) that is also being served now? Or the same 2005 for Sauternes, like the Chateau D'Yquem currently on some routes?

Probably one of the two best vintages of the past 20/30 years for France...

...or the 2013 US Chardonnays (see Paul Hobbs), or the 2013 Victoria Syrah (see Savaterre), or the 2007 Sauternes (see Chateau Suduiraut), ... I could continue. Yes, there can be less-than-stellar vintages onboard, but the point is that EK really does NOT seem to have a pattern of buying and serving the "lesser" vintages. And their cellar is something I am really appreciating as someone who is rather new to flying with them.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:54 am

Talking

Originally Posted by flying_pig
"Bad years" as in 2005 for France? Like the 2005 Chateau Figeac (St Emillion) that EK are serving now? Or that same 2005 of Les Forts de Latour (Pauillac) that is also being served now? Or the same 2005 for Sauternes, like the Chateau D'Yquem currently on some routes?

Probably one of the two best vintages of the past 20/30 years for France...

...or the 2013 US Chardonnays (see Paul Hobbs), or the 2013 Victoria Syrah (see Savaterre), or the 2007 Sauternes (see Chateau Suduiraut), ... I could continue. Yes, there can be less-than-stellar vintages onboard, but the point is that EK really does NOT seem to have a pattern of buying and serving the "lesser" vintages. And their cellar is something I am really appreciating as someone who is rather new to flying with them.
And compared to what you get on BA...
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:55 am

I agree with all your content especially in the above post about CX, except this point: EK is serving good or downright excellent vintages, while CX generally serves off years and way too young at that. There is zero comparison to how CX and EK approach wine...it shows on board. CX has a rather sorry approach to wine, which those of us who are captive to CX and love wine have been whinging about for years.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
What's incredible is that the opened but non-empty bottles are then available in the J lounge, so while flying Y and visiting the J lounge thanks to status I had several glasses of Ducru (1985? 83? One of the two)

It was 1985 I believe. I had it on board and in the F lounge a few months ago.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I agree with all your content especially in the above post about CX, except this point: EK is serving good or downright excellent vintages, while CX generally serves off years and way too young at that. There is zero comparison to how CX and EK approach wine...it shows on board. CX has a rather sorry approach to wine, which those of us who are captive to CX and love wine have been whinging about for years.
Bad years in term of those first growth, not bad in general.
The Haut-Brion 2004 can be bought today for less than the future of 2016 or 2017. If that is not a bad year, what else can be said.
EK bad is still better than anything out there by a long shot. My point is they only bought them for the prestige factor. For probably the same price, they can get quilceda creek and it will blow these off-vintage first growth out of the water.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig
Yes, there can be less-than-stellar vintages onboard, but the point is that EK really does NOT seem to have a pattern of buying and serving the "lesser" vintages. And their cellar is something I am really appreciating as someone who is rather new to flying with them.
I am talking about the first growth only. They don’t need to play this game with the 2nd or lower growths.
So far, we only have 1 data point on first growth. If the next vintage is somehow not so good compare to vintages before and after, you will have your answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.