EK vs SQ

Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

EK vs SQ

Question is probably not in the right place but I'm looking for advice.
I'll be flying Europe --> Australia (most probably MEL).
Shall I go with EK Y or SQ PE ? I'm EK Gold. Both schedules fit OK. Don't know how much better is SQ PE vs EK Y.
Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:09 am

I already traveled Europe to Australia (in Y), via EK, and it's freaking long, boring and painful. I was blue at the moment, so no lounge!

Although you won't get the lounge access with EK Gold card, and the purser's welcome ; for a such long journey I would recommend SQ PE. Which looks way more confortable than Y.

If you really wish to travel with EK, which may be interesting for the miles/tier gain. Maybe you can just upgrade a strategical leg with miles (like DXB-MEL), or gamble and count on a op-up if you book flex or flexplus ticket

SQ is a very nice airliner and the service is awesome. I traveled in Y with them and it was very nice. Their PE looks much more nice and confortable !
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Depends on price thou for me. However Gold status would sway me as that would make the trip less brutal.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:28 am
Original Poster

I might try SQ then. I think there is A350 SIN-MEL. I'll drop to EK Silver anyway :-) A purser's welcome and lounge access doesn't give me more legroom
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Depends how much you value lounge access and what the price difference is. for the duration PE is likely to trump Y, regardless of lounge access.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The transit experience is also important.

You can transit a malodorous, disorganized mess on EK, or you can make your aircraft transfer and layover in a lovely, diverting, world class airport on SQ.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: Kris Flyer, Airpoints, TrueBlue, QF, SPGGold, Hilton Diamond,IHG Spire
SQ every time.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:23 am
Original Poster

If I can get C one way on EK, I'll go with it. Otherwise SQ seems tempting. What is the arrival/dept in SIN (terminal or remote)?
I like EK for many things but loyalty is worth little these days.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Wilbur
The transit experience is also important.

You can transit a malodorous, disorganized mess on EK, or you can make your aircraft transfer and layover in a lovely, diverting, world class airport on SQ.
You must be talking about an airport that wouldn't be involved in an EK flight from Europe to Australia.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You must be talking about an airport that wouldn't be involved in an EK flight from Europe to Australia.
He must be thinking of AUH
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
If I lived in SEA or AU/NZ I would pick SQ over EK any day. But as of now using SQ only makes sense if I'm going to the southern part of SEA and AU/NZ
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Originally Posted by Fitzherbert Carruthers
SQ every time.

Same here. SQ PE a cut above EK Y, both hard and soft product-wise. Also, as others have posted, SIN far more pelasant to transit.

But then again, this is assuming it is worth the price difference to you (as I am also assuming SQ PE is more expensive than EK Y; if it is anywhere close, it would be a no brainer for me anyway).
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:30 pm

SIN is way more pleasant than DXB to transfer at. Haven't flown SQ but surely even their regular Y config can't possibly be worse than the cramped EK 100-abreast setup. Wouldn't SQ PE be way more expensive though?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No question. SQ PE
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
SIN is way more pleasant than DXB to transfer at. Haven't flown SQ but surely even their regular Y config can't possibly be worse than the cramped EK 100-abreast setup. Wouldn't SQ PE be way more expensive though?
It is, but it's still within reach and much much cheaper than EK C.
Thanks for opinions, I'll go with SQ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.