Last edit by: skywardhunter
Friday, 15 September, 17:30

Bascule Whiskey and Wine Bar
Cape Grace Hotel - Waterfront
Print Wikipost

Cape Town Do: 15 September 2017

Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:28 am

In for the 15th

Friday the 15th sounds great. I'm in JNB but will make a plan to come down. I get back from Moscow on the 10th so we'll make it work.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum, SAA Voyager blue!
Friday 15th noted. Looking forward to it.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:49 am

I'm in for drinks on the 15th. Beer and/or Gin bars are great options.
There is also a great, fairly new winebar on Wale Street called OpenWine which is pretty amazing..
Old Sep 8, 2017, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Ok everyone, just a week to go, please confirm if you're going to make it and let's settle on the location. I think something casual where everyone can get their own drinks and if someone wants to eat they can, would be best, logistically.

How is timing for everyone? 5pm or 7pm what do people prefer?

Mother's Ruin is a nice gin bar and opens at 4pm, in Bree St, has some outdoor seating as well if the weather is a bit better than yesterday's ****-show (but glad for the rain!).

Any other recommendations? I'm trying to think of something casual, not too loud, not too divey, but also not too fancy or formal. I thought of Mitchell's or Ferryman's but those might be too loud (Ferryman's perhaps not if seated outdoor though there may be live music on a Friday).
Old Sep 8, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: EK Plat
Count me in + 1. Like the idea of somewhere casual. What about somewhere at the Waterfront such as Den Anker or Bascule Bar? Timings wise, I'd prefer 5-6 but am happy to go with the flow. Thanks for organising this!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gillyd22
Count me in + 1. Like the idea of somewhere casual. What about somewhere at the Waterfront such as Den Anker or Bascule Bar? Timings wise, I'd prefer 5-6 but am happy to go with the flow. Thanks for organising this!
Yes or Quay four?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:11 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Yes, I'm still in (although I managed to break 4 ribs in a fall last week and ended up in hospital in AMS for a few nights). I hope to be back in CPT early next week. Was (am?) supposed to be on EK150/770 starting tomorrow but my 'medical emergency' got the insurance company involved and they are now looking after my travel arrangements. Somewhat surreal, not knowing your travel plans (especially for a meticulous travel planner....)

I'll go with the flow for next Friday. Not too loud would be good.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Yes, I'm still in (although I managed to break 4 ribs in a fall last week and ended up in hospital in AMS for a few nights). I hope to be back in CPT early next week. Was (am?) supposed to be on EK150/770 starting tomorrow but my 'medical emergency' got the insurance company involved and they are now looking after my travel arrangements. Somewhat surreal, not knowing your travel plans (especially for a meticulous travel planner....)

Ouch! Hope you're not in too bad shape, must've been a good night
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum, SAA Voyager blue!
Count me in. 5-6pm would be my preference for drinks then a meal.

I don't know Mother's Ruin but sounds interesting. I do know Bascule which is pleasant (adjoins Cape Grace hotel in the Waterfront). Bascule is also convenient for Quay Four and Den Anker for a meal afterwards but don't want to make thijsseh walk too far with broken ribs . . .
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:29 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by Seaforth
Count me in. 5-6pm would be my preference for drinks then a meal.

I don't know Mother's Ruin but sounds interesting. I do know Bascule which is pleasant (adjoins Cape Grace hotel in the Waterfront). Bascule is also convenient for Quay Four and Den Anker for a meal afterwards but don't want to make thijsseh walk too far with broken ribs . . .
Ha ha, Bascule, Quay 4 and Den Anker are an easy walk, even considering the state of my ribs. Thanks for the concern nevertheless! 😃👍
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Ok everyone, just a week to go, please confirm if you're going to make it and let's settle on the location. I think something casual where everyone can get their own drinks and if someone wants to eat they can, would be best, logistically.

How is timing for everyone? 5pm or 7pm what do people prefer?

Mother's Ruin is a nice gin bar and opens at 4pm, in Bree St, has some outdoor seating as well if the weather is a bit better than yesterday's ****-show (but glad for the rain!).

Any other recommendations? I'm trying to think of something casual, not too loud, not too divey, but also not too fancy or formal. I thought of Mitchell's or Ferryman's but those might be too loud (Ferryman's perhaps not if seated outdoor though there may be live music on a Friday).
Apologies , but i will have to pullout. My mother is flying in from London for her Birthday and would be a bit tricky to ditch her on her special day . You are all most welcome to pop in for pre-drinks at the Mount Nelson with me , it will be tea thou as we have a 89 year old in tow.

Sorry to hear that thijsseh, two weeks ago on Wednesday i managed to blackout after getting out of bed and walking up the stairs and then falling down the stairs all the way to the very bottom. No broken bones , but always fun going to hospital at 6 in the morning in a ambulance with complains of not feeling anything below the waist with shooting pain going through my spine , admittedly that was very scary as i truly believed i was paralysed. Doctor said i got up to fast and the explanation of not feeling anything waist down was a combination of pain,adrenaline and shock - fyi morphine is fantastic , not sure if i can say the same for the doctor that treated me in Constantiaberg thou
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Apologies , but i will have to pullout. My mother is flying in from London for her Birthday and would be a bit tricky to ditch her on her special day . You are all most welcome to pop in for pre-drinks at the Mount Nelson with me , it will be tea thou as we have a 89 year old in tow.

Sorry to hear that thijsseh, two weeks ago on Wednesday i managed to blackout after getting out of bed and walking up the stairs and then falling down the stairs all the way to the very bottom. No broken bones , but always fun going to hospital at 6 in the morning in a ambulance with complains of not feeling anything below the waist with shooting pain going through my spine , admittedly that was very scary as i truly believed i was paralysed. Doctor said i got up to fast and the explanation of not feeling anything waist down was a combination of pain,adrenaline and shock - fyi morphine is fantastic , not sure if i can say the same for the doctor that treated me in Constantiaberg thou
Morphine is the bomb!
​​​​​​
sorry to hear you won't be making it! Hopefully next time then!
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:17 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by Flame3601

well, you could put mom to bed and join us afterwards. Hmm, maybe not what's expected from a good son....

For the first few days after my fall, morfine has been my lifesaver. In the hospital in AMS, they were handing them out almost as liberally as you wanted as pain would make your breath shallow with increases the possibility of pneumonia. But now that I am mending, the doctor tells me to stick to paracetamol. Guss that's a good sign.
The good news is that EK have cleared me to fly out of AMS tonight on my original flight (needed to get medical clearance after the heamathorax). Now all I need is an op up (preferably on EK770 tomorrow morning). Although I am 'confirmed', I can't choose a seat (7A which I had booked originally was taken away when the medical situation was declared) and J seems pretty full. I am on a Flex ticket and only silver so all you Plats and Flex+'s please stay away...
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
well, you could put mom to bed and join us afterwards. Hmm, maybe not what's expected from a good son....

For the first few days after my fall, morfine has been my lifesaver. In the hospital in AMS, they were handing them out almost as liberally as you wanted as pain would make your breath shallow with increases the possibility of pneumonia. But now that I am mending, the doctor tells me to stick to paracetamol. Guss that's a good sign.
The good news is that EK have cleared me to fly out of AMS tonight on my original flight (needed to get medical clearance after the heamathorax). Now all I need is an op up (preferably on EK770 tomorrow morning). Although I am 'confirmed', I can't choose a seat (7A which I had booked originally was taken away when the medical situation was declared) and J seems pretty full. I am on a Flex ticket and only silver so all you Plats and Flex+'s please stay away...

Best of luck , i have actually never flown on EK770 without being seated at 7A/7K. I have had good luck in the past when striking up conversation with the ladies at the customer/skywards service desk within the Flounge at DXB in regards to op-up's.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
In theory if I took EK770 arriving CPT 1630 would I be too late ?

I'm having a mad moment, perhaps it's the Tito's, but I arrive on Blinking Awful flight LHR-AUH @2300 night before (14/9) (tier run) I'm seriously thinking of a day trip for this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.