Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK312 vs EK318 Business to Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:45 am
Original Poster

EK312 vs EK318 Business to Tokyo

Hi all! I'm hoping to get some opinions and thoughts on the following: I'm going on holiday to Japan for the first time, and decided to treat myself to a business class ticket. I'm flying from Cape Town, South Africa, to Tokyo via Dubai. Roughly 9.5 hours each leg. I need to change my departure date, and have a choice of either landing in Haneda with EK312, or landing in Narita with EK318 - change price is the same.

Now the obvious choice is Haneda, since it's closer to Tokyo center, and Emirates offers their chauffeur service there, however, here's my quandary: If I fly into Haneda, it'll be via a Boeing 777-300ER (or is it the 200?) which has that rigid 2-3-2 configuration for business, where there's limited aisle access. The flight also lands near 11PM Tokyo time. On the other hand, EK318 uses the Airbus A380-800, so better seating in business (aisle access on window seats), and I think generally an all-round better experience. Since the flight is part of the holiday experience, I'm wondering if I shouldn't take the A380 to Narita, and deal with the additional train trips into Tokyo. It also lands around 5:30PM Tokyo time, which is a more workable time so I can pick up train passes and so on at the airport.

Anyone have experience with these flights (routes or aircraft), and could offer their thoughts on which is best:

Here's the local times of the two routes for reference:

EK 779 - 1*CPTDXB - 2000 0735
EK 312 - 2*DXBHND - 0835 2245

EK 773 - 1*CPTDXB - 1325 0105
EK 318 - 2*DXBNRT - 0255 1720
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:20 am

I have no experience with EK and Japan or those particular flights.

I have, however, been in a 777 and A380 in Business (J). It is like chalk and cheese. If as you say the flight is part of the holiday / experience then you absolutely have to go in a A380.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had similar when choosing flights for our trip to Japan next spring (albeit in F) - in the end, I plumped for Narita as it's an A380 flight and the earlier landing time. The Narita Express is fast and frequent too
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:52 am

The A380 experience is undoubtably the better experience, although there are still plenty seats with aisle access on the 777, but check before you make your decision if this is a show stopper.

The chauffeur drive is also part of the holiday experience, as is lounge access in Dubai which you won't have time for if going to Haneda, so it's all down to what you value more.

How about having an extremely long transit to have a day in Dubai and getting lounge access before and after?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the responses. It looks like the A380 route will give the better experience in terms of the flight, and then will take a train in when I arrive (skipping the chauffeur on that leg). Never easy landing in a foreign country, jet-lagged, and luggage in tow, but I think I'll manage with the train and/or find a hotel shuttle from Narita.
@ft101 My time is fairly limited, so I don't think a long transit would be ideal. As you mention, I wouldn't really be able to experience the Dubai lounge if going to Haneda due to the short turn-around, so at least with the A380 flight I get about an hour in the lounge to relax and stretch a bit before boarding.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
Take the A380. On a flight that length it is far more comfortable. On arrival at Narita, it is very possible to clear immigration, collect baggage and pass through customs in less than 20 minutes, and the train station is underground at the airport.

You don't need to worry about convenience with regard to getting into the city; as mentioned by a previous poster, the N'EX is very easy to use and will have you in the centre of Tokyo in less than one hour, which is quite possibly faster than the time it would take to be driven. It's usually a very pleasant train journey - very quiet and not at all crowded, and there is a snack cart that passes through the carriages in case you need something to tide you over.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:07 am
Original Poster

I've booked my ticket on the A380 for the Tokyo legs. Thanks all for the responses - it really helped!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I always take 312 because of the car and I usually have my skis with me although in F.

It's definitely worth upgrading the way back to F given its such a long flight
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Praemon
I've booked my ticket on the A380 for the Tokyo legs. Thanks all for the responses - it really helped!
Good choice. A380 is far better for comfort.
Have done both airports, and will do NRT in a few days.

It'll take a little bit longer than 20 minutes to get out of the airport with your luggage, but still, it should be event less.
Limousine Bus is better than N'ex, as they propose more destinations. Don't take the Taxi, it will be very expensive.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
I'm going to suggest the opposite to everyone else for the follow reasons:

- The late arrival into Japan will help you adapt to the time difference quicker. Plus there are very good places to eat 24h in Tokyo so you won't be stuck without dinner when you arrive.

- If you're staying in southern parts of Tokyo such as the Conrad, Haneda is really close barely takes any time to get to.

- Chauffeur.

Narita really is far and although the long journey itself isn't bad, the cost of a taxi and the hassle of luggage on the trains is a pain.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by akalra1187
I'm going to suggest the opposite to everyone else for the follow reasons:

- The late arrival into Japan will help you adapt to the time difference quicker. Plus there are very good places to eat 24h in Tokyo so you won't be stuck without dinner when you arrive.

- If you're staying in southern parts of Tokyo such as the Conrad, Haneda is really close barely takes any time to get to.

- Chauffeur.

Narita really is far and although the long journey itself isn't bad, the cost of a taxi and the hassle of luggage on the trains is a pain.
Exactly - I enjoy my day in F, get in a car to the Conrad and go to bed, fresh as a daisy the next day
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: Qantas FF, Korean Air, Emirates FF, Mariott, IHG, Hilton
OP, whatever your decision, please do come back with your experience. I know the feeling of being conflicted, currently the same deciding between if my next trip I want to fly again with Emirates J or try a new airline from SYD - LHR.

Enjoy your trip, nonetheless! Tokyo is AMAZING.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyWithKaeMarie
OP, whatever your decision, please do come back with your experience. I know the feeling of being conflicted, currently the same deciding between if my next trip I want to fly again with Emirates J or try a new airline from SYD - LHR.

Enjoy your trip, nonetheless! Tokyo is AMAZING.

You have sort of missed the point. I fly London-Tokyo twice a month in J and once every six months in F on EK or EY and from experience I can assure you it is better to fly to HND.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by akalra1187
You have sort of missed the point. I fly London-Tokyo twice a month in J and once every six months in F on EK or EY and from experience I can assure you it is better to fly to HND.
That depends on your values and priorities. The OP's may differ from yours.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ft101
That depends on your values and priorities. The OP's may differ from yours.
Yes, in my my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.