Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK - Status Match (Silver)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond Medallion, Emirates Skywards Gold, Marriott Platinum
EK - Status Match (Silver)

I recently contacted Emirates to see if they would honor my request to grant EK elite status to me if I proved my DL Plat status. They basically said I could have any status with any airline and would start at EK Silver as in their opinion it devalues their top flyers (aka EK Gold and Plat). I totally agree with that and am really looking forward to my EK flight/

Could someone help me get answers to the following questions:

1. How long does it take for EK Sales team to approve the Silver Tier status?
  2. Does that mean, any Tier miles I earn will go towards qualifying for Gold or do I still start again as Silver? I mean, lets say I have 0 Tier miles now, but in a week I will get about 32,000 Tier miles. So, as a Silver Tier member will I start at 25,000 miles and after my trip completion end up with 57,000 Tier miles and Gold status or just 32,000 Tier miles with Silver status?
Thanks and Peace!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I don't know exactly but I'm quite certain you don't gain 25k tier miles, you simply gain the tier status. So you start with 0.

The point is to give you an advance to the status you would earn anyway. If you fly enough to earn Gold you'll earn it eventually, but not by only flying the miles for silver.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:42 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Hello again GlassMan36

If memory serves me correctly, it took approximately 1 week for my Silver status match to be approved but if I recall, it has taken longer for others that have went down this route.

As skywardhunter says, you will start at 0 points and work your way up. If your EK travel is going to be in J then the most noticeable benefit as Silver that you will see is the extra baggage allowance as lounge access at all departure points is included. If travelling Y as Silver, lounge access is only granted in DXB. Unfortunately, the days of status and upgrades seem to have disappeared with the deciding factor being ticket type (flex, flex plus) trumping status and saver tickets.

Having said that, being Silver has its positive points, with their bonuses on Skywards miles and mileage upgrades. Make sure you have a look at the EK website Skywards pages for a more detailed explanation and hopefully your status match will be granted.

Best of luck.

S
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
When I asked a status match, over a year ago, they offer me a simple choice. We give you only Silver now, or you qualify for Silver and we'll up you straight on to Gold. I went for the second. Gold is the level to get...so I made it fast to Silver by simply joining the queue for few trips.

I think it's a decent option they are offering and I'm happy to have now renew my Gold status for another year.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond Medallion, Emirates Skywards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Thank you guys... I now have a good understanding of the status match! I really appreciate your replies. It is awesome that they (EK) even honor such requests. I'll keep y'all posted on my status upgrade. I'm pretty sure with two round trip flights a year from US-Asia in (J Flex Fare) a year, I should be able to retain my EK Gold Status.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by GlassMan36
Thank you guys... I now have a good understanding of the status match! I really appreciate your replies. It is awesome that they (EK) even honor such requests. I'll keep y'all posted on my status upgrade. I'm pretty sure with two round trip flights a year from US-Asia in (J Flex Fare) a year, I should be able to retain my EK Gold Status.
Yup. Here I am doing 8 Y Flex returns SA to India a year and barely scraping into Gold
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Yup. Here I am doing 8 Y Flex returns SA to India a year and barely scraping into Gold
That's got to suck! Well all my J trips have been for work. Personal travel has always been in deeply discounted Y fares!

I hope to reach a level of financial success when F fares seem like pennies to me..
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:41 pm

That's got to suck! Well all my J trips have been for work. Personal travel has always been in deeply discounted Y fares!

I hope to reach a level of financial success when F fares seem like pennies to me..
Ask m3red for advice...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Ask m3red for advice...
It's not pennies it's expensive and EK has priced me out a bit this year - fares I was paying £3.5k are now nearer £8k so I'm burning a lot of miles...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
It's not pennies it's expensive and EK has priced me out a bit this year - fares I was paying £3.5k are now nearer £8k so I'm burning a lot of miles...
That's almost 223% increase in fares! Wow..

Seriously, I need to be taking financial advice from you!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: *A
I just received this email from Skywards
Dear wrenz,

You've been specially selected as one of our Blue members who can, for a limited time, purchase Silver status and make your journeys even more rewarding.

For the next 7 days only, you have the opportunity to purchase 12 months of Silver status for just USD 300*.

With Skywards Silver you will open up a world of travel benefits and start enjoying more inspiring journeys with more Miles.
*Per the terms of the promotion, the promotion period is 16 Apr to 31 Aug and the upgrade fee is dynamic.

This year was my first travel on Emirates and my next flight on EK probably won't be until May since most of my travel is around the Pacific Ocean. It's not a lot of money but is it worth it? Guess I'll have to research their FF program to understand the benefits.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wrenz
Guess I'll have to research their FF program to understand the benefits.
If you fly Y, Silver will get you admission to the J lounge in DXB, but not outstations.

You get more Skywards miles.

You can utilize elite check in lines.

Oh, and your Skywards Silver card can be used at Egates in DXB.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Do you get additional Tier miles based on your status or just Skywards miles?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Do you get additional Tier miles based on your status or just Skywards miles?
Skywards, not tier, as far as I know.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pokeable
Skywards, not tier, as far as I know.
Thanks for confirming that's what I thought too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.